Author Topic: Replaced ImageSalsa built-in webserver with XAMPP for more stability  (Read 6525 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
I've been running the Beta 2.0.13 (Script edition) for several years, but couldn't figure out why IS would crash at odd times.

I had one canvas set to offer the realtime image (used on my netcam.php page) via the internal webserver in IS, and it had been working well for quite some time.   Then I discovered that excess traffic to the internal webserver could cause it to hang and IS to freeze up.
With no logging capability on IS's webserver, I decided to install XAMPP (for windows) on the weather station system, and then to look at the Apache logs to see who was accessing the netcam.

I set the canvas to save a fixed file to the htdocs directory on the XAMPP Apache server with 1 second update intervals.  Occasionally, a requester will get a 404 Not Found if the access is at the same time that IS is updating the file, but other than that, everything is working like a champ, and sure enough, IS has been very stable again (with the built-in webserver deactivated).

And.. now that I have Apache logs to view, I found one of the frequent visitors to the netcam image is 65.202.103.x, which turns out to be a subnet inside of twc.weather.com -- so somebody at The Weather Channel is having a look :)   8-)

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: Replaced ImageSalsa built-in webserver with XAMPP for more stability
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »
Did you try using StartWatch to monitor ImageSalsa?

I'm doing that now, with the sensitivity taken down a notch.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
Yes, I do use StartWatch for all the weather software.  The issue was IS would 'hang' and not finish 'going away' even after a kill, that StartWatch was unable to start a new copy.

I'd see my status page report 'not current' on my every-15-seconds thumnail upload, wiggle the mouse on the weather station system, see two IS icons in the system tray quickly disappear.  StartWatch would show 'Stopping', and I'd manually do a stop-monitoring, then start new copy to get it running again.

Not had to do that since I switched to using XAMPP/Apache for the web service :)

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
Ken et al,
  I am now having the same issue with IS. Either something got updated through Windows or this has slowly grown into an FTP conlfict issue. I am using FLING to check the upload directory in which my 2-min saved fixed file is and also my motion detected jpeg is located. This will run for several days then IS gives me this error and prevents ANY FTP to be allowed to go through FLING. I am confused.... I am wondering if I should let IS do its own FTP'ing...

Jim

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
I still have IS doing FTP itself:

One canvas does the netcam thumbnail upload every 15 seconds using passive FTP and put-temp-rename options
One canvas does the fullsize netcam image upload every 2 minutes to wunderground using passive FTP in 'put original' mode

IS is not running a webserver anymore (and that's really helped stability).  IS stores the netcam.jpg to the doc root of the XAMPP apache server, and netcam requests are directed to the XAMPP server where a small PHP script will return the image, or wait 1 sec and try the image again.. that helps prevent 404-Not Found issues when the netcam.jpg is being updated by IS.

What's the IS error you have when it prevents ANY FTP through Fling?

Best regards,
Ken