Author Topic: La Crosse 2810 and History File Not Recognized  (Read 9194 times)

Offline abf

La Crosse 2810 and History File Not Recognized
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
I have a 2810 which is working properly and sending data to Heavy Weather 1.0.  Heavy Weather continually updates from the 2810. The data shows up in C:\Documents and Settings\ . . . .\My Documents\HeavyWeather\History\history.dat as it is programed to but the program refuses to recognize it and does not see it in the folder even though it is listed by Windows XP SP3 as a file. I also copied the history.dat file to the program folder but it still only recognizes the demo file.

How do I correct this?

Thanks,

abf

Offline abf

Re: La Crosse 2810 and History File Not Recognized
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
I should be more specific about the software. It is Heavy Weather Pro WS 2800 V1.0 downloaded on the 4th of November 2009.

Offline drh

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »
Try downloading the ws2800 pro software, it is the only one that will run with the 2810, that I have found. I can't get my ambient vws software to work with the ws2810, vws needs to read "currdat.1st" and the new ws2800 pro software does not generate that file like other versions did. Other versions will not sinc with the usb interface, at least I can't get it to. If anyone has had any luck let me know how you did it please
here is the link to the ws2800 pro software
 http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2810/

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
Try downloading the ws2800 pro software, it is the only one that will run with the 2810, that I have found. I can't get my ambient vws software to work with the ws2810, vws needs to read "currdat.1st" and the new ws2800 pro software does not generate that file like other versions did. Other versions will not sinc with the usb interface, at least I can't get it to. If anyone has had any luck let me know how you did it please
here is the link to the ws2800 pro software
 http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2810/

That is weird, some people are using it to generate currdat.LST.

Usually they write it in the C:\Heavyweather directory, perhaps you have to enable the output of the file somewhere in the options.

Offline drh

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
Some people are using What, to generate the currdat.1st file, ws2800 pro or heavy weather 2 software?currdat.1st
I used the "export as text" command to write a currdat.1st file in hopes vws would use it but it wouldn't pick it up that way either. The data may have been in the wrong format, I don't know. Tech support at ambient said the currdat.1st file was a text file but it probably needs to be in a specific order for the proper parsing of the text to the vws program

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:55:35 AM »
Some people are using What, to generate the currdat.1st file, ws2800 pro or heavy weather 2 software?currdat.1st
I used the "export as text" command to write a currdat.1st file in hopes vws would use it but it wouldn't pick it up that way either. The data may have been in the wrong format, I don't know. Tech support at ambient said the currdat.1st file was a text file but it probably needs to be in a specific order for the proper parsing of the text to the vws program

For the WS-28XX there is a version called Heavyweather Professional (1.0 I believe). It is only for the WS-28XX units. Apparently it does output the currdat.LST (not 1st, it is a lower case L). VWS might be parsing the file incorrectly as the file format may have changed slightly compared to those output by the older HW programs (Heavyweather Beta 2.0 for the WS-23XX stations, Heavy Weather Pro for the WS-36XX stations). If that is the case, VWS will probably not support it until they update their software to do so. First you need to find out if and where this file is being generated.

The key question is whether this new version is outputting the currdat.LST and where it is located. Try searching the entire hard drive for the file. One person told me it was being generated under their c:\documents and settings\... folder.

WUHU has been updated to support this new file, I have a test version that I can send if you want to try it after you locate the file.

email me at wuhu_software at yahoo for a copy.

Offline drh

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
I e-mailed you for a copy of the beta but never got it. I'll try again.

Offline lauren

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
New member of the forum - but I'm having the same problem - 2800 is working well, but for the life of me I can't find that data file (no matter how you spell it).

Anyone know where the file is, or any other way of getting the Lacrosse 2800 to post to the web?

thanks!

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »

In HW Pro, under the Extras menu, select Show Current Weather Data File...

This will show the location of the currdat.lst file.

Offline g8dhe

• G8DHE's weather station
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
Not sure if this helps but with version 1.5.1 of Heavy Weather (Seems to be the European version) it is not HeavyWeather.exe that updates "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\currdat.lst" but the service routine that is installed at the same time named "WV5Communication" which is actually the BackEnd.exe program.
Heavyweather.exe updates the history.dat file with more data than is available from currdat.lst so I assume it either talks directly to the Console using the HID USB routines or via the BackEnd.exe service.
I've also noted that the history.dat files that are produced seem to have some errors in the TotalRainfall field as this frequently starts displaying rubbish data, however the Incremental Rain fall seems to show the correct increments.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »

From what I have been told, the service is indeed what updates the currdat.lst and the frequency of updates to the file is reduced if HW is not running. I am not sure whether HW Pro is actually communicating to the USB or whether the service is acting as a communication proxy of some sort.

I had read some release notes at the La Crosse site that they have addressed a problem with the total rainfall field being bogus after new rainfall. You might check their site to see if you can update to correct that problem.

Offline g8dhe

• G8DHE's weather station
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
Yup that seems to be the case the service updates the currdat.lst file every minute only, whilst the Heavyweather.exe extracts data at 5 second intervals.

As regards the rainfall and history.dat; version 1.3 claims;
• Fixed a data report issue where the next line after new rain had zero in total rain.
whilst version 1.5 claims;
If you used the Version 1.3 software with the 2812, we recommend starting a new
history.dat file to ensure all data has the new calculations saved with it.

Whilst if you actually look at what is being saved by this program ( http://www.hweditor.info/ ) created to correct the errors;

then the total rain field takes on a totally erroneous value usually so far a large + or - value that is easily spotted, I've actually
created an Excel spreadsheet to read the file and correct and re-write the errors on the fly within the file, but of course it
can't correct the actual program Heavyweather.exe and the values it has stored internally without a restart.

So I guess we keep watching their site(s) and hope that maybe the will introduce Wind Gusts into currdat.lst and sort out the rain errors in history.dat!

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

Don't forget the missing absolute pressure in currdat.lst as well.

I am pretty sure that software is contracted out to a German company, the same ones that created the old original HW software.

If I had to guess, La Crosse probably has to pay them to fix their own bugs.

Any self-respecting software developer would just take care of it in my personal opinion.