Author Topic: Which weather station for a farm?  (Read 833 times)

Offline TraderGary

• Active Stock Market Trader
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Re: Which weather station for a farm?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 04:27:23 PM »
I've owned 3 weather stations since I started.
The first two were Ambient Weather all-in-one stations.
They each lasted about 1.5 years and each one, when a single component failed, had to be thrown out.

After the first two failures I decided on buying a station with separate components. The WXForum was instrumental in helping me make that decision! I would never, ever again, buy an all-in-one station. The Davis Vantage Vue was not an option for me  because of my all-in-one experience.

I enjoy weather stations and these forums enough that I decided to go with what you see in my signature below.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:35:18 PM by TraderGary »
Davis 6163 Vantage Pro2 Plus (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro Red
WU: KGALOGAN20 | Ambient Weather: Lake Carlton | AWEKAS: 16965 | Windy: pws-f05f9e6b | WeatherLink: Lake Carlton

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
... when a single component failed, had to be thrown out.

...well...not exactly. The current Ambient stations all have replaceable parts:

Array assembly base:
https://ambientweather.com/amwewsrearas.html

Thermo-hygrometer:
https://ambientweather.com/amws2902thermohyfroassembly.html

Wind assembly:
https://ambientweather.com/amws2902wcassembly.html

Rain gauge assembly:
https://ambientweather.com/amws2902rainassembly.html

...and all other parts, wind vane, rain funnel....etc...all are available. If you had an older generation model those too were available while they were still current models.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 08:34:03 PM »
The mistake I made was ordering them from Amazon.
I figured that at that price they were throw-away items like TV's of today are.

If I had been on the forum back then, it looks like it might have been a different story.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge.

I'm still quite happy with the system I have right now.
Davis 6163 Vantage Pro2 Plus (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro Red
WU: KGALOGAN20 | Ambient Weather: Lake Carlton | AWEKAS: 16965 | Windy: pws-f05f9e6b | WeatherLink: Lake Carlton

Offline Sweep

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 12:30:15 AM »
I've owned 3 weather stations since I started.
The first two were Ambient Weather all-in-one stations.
They each lasted about 1.5 years and each one, when a single component failed, had to be thrown out.

After the first two failures I decided on buying a station with separate components. The WXForum was instrumental in helping me make that decision! I would never, ever again, buy an all-in-one station. The Davis Vantage Vue was not an option for me  because of my all-in-one experience.

I enjoy weather stations and these forums enough that I decided to go with what you see in my signature below.

This is what I am also afraid of... with the Ecowitt stand alone sensors, vs the Davis, having to go to the 700+ dollar range... With an ecowitt I can replace any sensor involved, for less then 100 dollars...

Offline TraderGary

• Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 02:11:36 AM »
Sweep,
galfert (George Alfert) is a global moderator on WXForum.
He is very active, well known, and highly respected on the forum.
You can absolutely trust his judgement.
You can see in his signature what he personally uses.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 03:59:33 AM »
To be clear, it's the electronic components of the Vue that are all on a single wiring harness (at least since Rev E came out some years back IIRC). But the mechanical components (wind cups/vane, wind cartridges, tipping spoon mechanism etc) are all readily available as individual spares.

The other general issue is that all-in-one sensor assemblies, especially where the anemometer and rain gauge cannot be separated, are neat, easy to mount and cost-effective to produce. But all have the limitation that you cannot achieve optimal exposure for wind and rain simultaneously (you need to mount wind up high and rain gauge down low for maximum accuracy), at least for meteorological purposes. In my experience, farmers have somewhat different requirements being more interested in wind at spraying height (say 2m/6ft) than high in the air. So an all-in-one mounted at say 5-6ft might be acceptable here, though rainfall will typically be a little under-recorded and you have to take more care with finding a well-exposed mounting site - an anemometer at 6ft is much more likely to be influenced by nearby buildings, hedges etc than one higher in the air. It's also the case that not everyone feels the need to measure all parameters with equal accuracy. So some users are in practice much more interested in say wind speed than rain and so will mount an all-in-one higher, or vice versa for other users.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Littleport, Ely, Cambs UK

Sorry, but I can't help with individual issues by email. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
You can see in his signature what he personally uses.

Thank you. But what you can't see in my signature is all the VP2 stations that I also happily manage that are not mine.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything