Author Topic: Basic weather station for undeveloped remote site  (Read 1783 times)

Offline adlib13

Basic weather station for undeveloped remote site
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
Hello -

I'm buying an undeveloped land lot to build a house on and it's on a ridge near the ocean in Pacifica, CA (outside San Francisco) with microclimate that probably isn't captured by standard weather data sets (please correct me if you think I'm wrong!)

To support our architect, I was hoping to capture temperature, humidity, wind speed, and wind direction for a few months. We thought it'd be cool to put a weather station on the land.

However, it is currently a blank lot with no utilities (electricity, wifi, etc.) or buildings. Most weather stations I've seen seem to require wifi : ( I figured I could try to mount a data-logging weather station up in a tree (so no one steals it if it's just sitting on the ground) and then download the data sets once every few weeks? But certainly would be open to something that requires less manual effort.

Can someone recommend a good on-board data logging (perhaps SD card? or internal with bluetooth transfer?) weather station? Or perhaps I should look at cellular equipped stations? Or perhaps something I haven't considered (like putting a battery powered mobile cellular wifi hotspot in the tree with the weather station)

Any tips? I'm hoping to spend less than a few hundred dollars but also don't want to engage in an arduino science project - hoping a mostly off-the-shelf solution exists

Thanks!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Basic weather station for undeveloped remote site
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:28:31 PM »
More money but should work Vantage Connect | Davis Instruments

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »
WS6006 Professional 3G/4G Cellular Wireless Weather Station:
https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/70

Stick a cellular SIM card in and let 'er rip.

It will upload directly to Ecowitt.net, WU, WeatherClould, MetOffice WOW, PWSweather, AWEKAS and you can even send the data directly to your remote personal computer running WeeWX, which will then allow you to do even more like upload to: CWOP, personal weather website, and many more online services.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:58:17 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PacoJavi

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
Hello,

I just bought this unit: https://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Home-Living/Home-Electronics/Weather-Stations/Beaufort-Wireless-Weather-Station-with-LCD-Touch-Display.html

Which comes with the basic fine-offset sensor array. In the future, I might want to move it somewhere pretty remote where there is no chance of getting power/internet.

Is the WS6006 receiver good for the sensor array I have purchased, or does it have to be the 7 in 1 array specified on the first row in this post: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.msg423289#msg423289?

Thanks

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Yes, the WS6006 will work with your sensor array as long as you get it with matching frequency of 868 MHz. This is because the Beaufort Weather Station (Fine Offset clone) uses 868 MHz.

The WS6006 is available with 433, 868, and 915 MHz when you place your order. Frequencies can't be changed on sensor arrays nor on consoles.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:31:47 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mihec

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 11:45:42 AM »
Hi,
I didn't want to open a new topic since I'm interested in the same thing. Specifically, how well does the WS6006 work on long term? I'm considering a purchase but would like to know what issues I might expect.
My site is exposed to occasional strong winds and snow/ice. If the station uploads in 10-min intervals, does it report a current wind gust or the maximum since the last upload?
Thanks!