Author Topic: Can't use Weatherlink software on Mac w/Catalina  (Read 251 times)

Offline StevenStilts

Can't use Weatherlink software on Mac w/Catalina
« on: October 17, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »
I bought a Davis cabled weather station and the Weather Link software. I have the station installed but I cannot get the Weather Link software to run; it asks for a JavaSE6runtime driver which I have attempted to install. It seems that the driver is no longer available and Weather Link says they do not have a work around for the software to run on Catalina. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to run the software on my Mac with Catalina?

Thanks; Steve

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Can't use Weatherlink software on Mac w/Catalina
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:43:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to run the software on my Mac with Catalina?

Not that I know of, though conceivably someone has found a workaround. But it would have to involve running 32-bit software on a 64-bit platform AFAIK.

Davis ceased development of local software (ie WL for Windows and Mac) a few years back (in favour of encouraging users to migrate to the weatherlink.com cloud platform)  and no new local software versions are expected. While Windows does to a large extent seem to have a policy of maintaining compatibility for legacy programs, Apple seem to do just the opposite. So Apple have effectively obsoleted WLfMac.

The other option is to move to software that _does_ run on the latest Apple OS machines, like Weathercat, CumulusMX or WD.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Littleport, Ely, Cambs UK

Sorry, but I can't help with individual issues by email. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
Parallels (pay app) or Virtualbox (free) should still allow you to run older MacOS/OS-X virtual environments on Catalina, as well as Windows virtual environments.  I use Virttualbox to run Windows 2019 virtually on my Macbook Pro for programming radios and updating firmware on various devices that only come with Windows support.  Probably not the best solution for 24/7 use, though.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline StevenStilts

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. After I posted the question, I found something called WeatherTracker by Afterten.com. It seems to be working ok; now I'm trying to get weather underground to work.

Thanks; Steve

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 01:58:19 PM »
If you are going to switch to a different program then I'd suggest looking at other Mac programs too, especially Weathercat (trixology.com). I suspect that WeatherTracker is lagging in the features dept. (And slightly disconcerting that the live weather on their home page seems stuck at 28th August.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Littleport, Ely, Cambs UK

Sorry, but I can't help with individual issues by email. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:03:04 AM »
Try Weathercat as it is for Mac  and Weatherdisplay for mac.  Both work and will give you a lot more information than weatherlink.  As suggested you could invest in parallels and windows 10, then run it from that or you could use Bootcamp which comes with the mac.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp  https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Catalina
; Webcam;

Offline StevenStilts

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:58:41 AM »
Thanks for the help! I downloaded weather cat and installed it, but it wouldn't show up on my screen. It seemed to be installed and working because I could see my data at the bottom in the tray, but I couldn't find the icon and open it up. I will try the other suggestions and I hope if you can see what my problem is, you will help.

Thanks; Steve

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:15:08 AM »
If you still have issues try the weathercat forum. Lots of helpful people on there.
Mark