Author Topic: new VP2 rain gauge way off  (Read 359 times)

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
new VP2 rain gauge way off
« on: October 17, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
A while back, I replaced the original tipping "see-saw" with this:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-pro2-tipping-spoon-replacement-kit-inches/

We've been in a drought, so I haven't had much data to use to check on accuracy. Now, we've had a good 24 hours of semi-steady rain. My Coco manual gauge had exactly one inch while the VP2 reported 1.71", so something is quite awry. The Coco gauge is only two feet away from the VP2 with no aerial obstructions above to cause less rain to hit the manual gauge (and, yes, I know how to deal with greater than one inch in the manual gauge).

I'll do some investigation, but if there was something I needed to modify in the console or some calibration step I missed that is obvious, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!!

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
Re: new VP2 rain gauge way off
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:51:37 AM »
I should also note that I switched to the new "aero cone" collector on the VP2 also.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »
Hi Jasiu
I'll do some investigation, but if there was something I needed to modify in the console or some calibration step I missed that is obvious, please let me know.

If you find anything please post... I've got the metric replacement kit on the way.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »
I bought one when they first came out.  Mine was plug and play.  I compared to my CoCoRahs style gauge for a couple of months and they were spot on.

Sorry, I'm not much help.  Mine worked out of the box.  Outside of verifying you are level, that's all I can think of.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Bloomsky, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:47:51 PM »
My Coco manual gauge had exactly one inch while the VP2 reported 1.71",
That's beyond ridiculous. Like 92merc says, you should have to do nothing. Are you positive you installed the new spoon assembly correctly? If so and you're still under warranty, I'd send it back. A 71% error is just a touch more than the claimed 4%.