Author Topic: Smoke/Dust Plume and Upper Level Low over NE Pacific  (Read 815 times)

Offline N7UV

• Jon Adams Main Site
Smoke/Dust Plume and Upper Level Low over NE Pacific
« on: September 11, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »
Over the past few days, I've been watching via Zoom.earth and Windy.com this strand of brown and attempting to figure out if it was from the fires on the US west coast or elsewhere. I'm here in PHX and there's been a consistent grey cloud/haze deck up at least 5-10k ft above ground. In the attached zoom.earth snap, there's a large upper level low circulating in the NE Pacific about 3000 km west of SFO, and it appears to be pulling this brown haze toward it. Is there anyone here who can venture an educated opinion on what this is, and where the sources of brown are?
Cheers - Jon N7UV
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
Re: Smoke/Dust Plume and Upper Level Low over NE Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
I'm not a weather scientist but if you look at this you can see the massive extent of the wild fires currently ravaging the west coast. I would say what you are seeing is smoke.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-SanFran-truecolor-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

If you play the animation you can see the plumes of smoke.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
I'm here in PHX and there's been a consistent grey cloud/haze deck up at least 5-10k ft above ground.
I'm in TUS and yes, it's smoke from the west covering practically the whole state...and it's getting really old. At least here it's aloft so we don't really get the full pleasure of breathing it in.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »
On the Zoom.Earth website you can enable the fires to show up on the map by clicking on the menu button an enabling "Daily Fire Spots"

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline N7UV

• Jon Adams Main Site
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »
Thanks all for the insight. It seems to me that the two lows (NE Pacific, and the dying one over WY) are pulling the smoke in different directions. Is that a reasonable interpretation?

Welcome to CW2274 - neighbors, nearly! Yep, glad the smoke is higher in the atmosphere here. Sorry for CA (my birth home).

Cheers - Jon N7UV

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 12:04:00 AM »
It seems to me that the two lows (NE Pacific, and the dying one over WY) are pulling the smoke in different directions. Is that a reasonable interpretation?
I see a broad trough over the entire western US, that big, deep low off the coast, and ridging to our south. Looks to me the upper flow won't be changing and smoke leaving anytime soon. If it starts to mix down, could really get bad. Hopefully not.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=global-northamerica-09-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined