Author Topic: Webcam Ecowitt  (Read 601 times)

Offline mauro63

• Senior Contributor
Webcam Ecowitt
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
 Link to my Meteonetwork post, with first impressions and some images about new Ecowitt webcam

Mauro

https://forum.meteonetwork.it/stazioni-meteorologiche-ecowitt-fine-offset/169200-webcam-ecowitt.html

Online Rover1822

• Senior Contributor
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
Re: Webcam Ecowitt
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
Nice.

I am a little discouraged that Ecowitt.net requires the use of their own web cam. Understandable from a lot of perspectives.

Their are alternative ways, but not supported on most weather sites. (which I think is a shame, oh and try to get a web cam working on WU)

this mine, self hosted. https://rovr1.com/wind/weather.html

Ambient WS-2000
Ambient PM 2.5, 2
Ambient WH31B, 2
EcoWitt WH31, 2
EcoWitt GW1000,  2
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor
Ecowitt WH51 Soil Moisture, 8
Web Sites: WU, Ambient Weather , Ecowitt.net
Personal Sites: Weather Cam , Wind & Solar Power Data

Offline kenthcwx

• Twitter Account
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
Link to my Meteonetwork post, with first impressions and some images about new Ecowitt webcam

Mauro

https://forum.meteonetwork.it/stazioni-meteorologiche-ecowitt-fine-offset/169200-webcam-ecowitt.html

Do you have a link to your Ecowitt page? I'm intrigued to see the quality of it!
Froggit WH4000
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt GW1000
Wunderground
Weathercloud
WOW
PWSWeather
Ecowitt
Personal Website

Offline mauro63

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:43:36 AM »

Mauro

Do you have a link to your Ecowitt page? I'm intrigued to see the quality of it!

sorry for the delay  :oops:

https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index2?id=24522

Offline kenthcwx

• Twitter Account
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 04:24:39 AM »

Mauro

sorry for the delay  :oops:

https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index2?id=24522

Thank you! It seems like it runs off the solar panel with batteries?
Froggit WH4000
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt GW1000
Wunderground
Weathercloud
WOW
PWSWeather
Ecowitt
Personal Website

Offline mauro63

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

sorry, my English is not very good, I hope understood well ;)
power is from the black module, inside there are n.3 slots for 18650 lithium rechargeable batteries.
batteries are recharged by the solar panel, one battery is enough for one week without solar radiation
now, in my power module, I've installed n.2 18650 batteries

Mauro

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
It should be noted that this is a very early model and production models probably will be slightly different
Retired: Old Maplin N96Y/FO Weather station
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2550A + WH65 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt WH51 (x4) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor (pre-prod test)

Offline Autofill

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:46:34 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance but may I ask what is the benefits of having a Webcam via weather network vs a regular, security Webcam?

Ecowitt WH2320E
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 05:56:59 AM »
That is a good question.

Best I can tell is that there is a cost of business associated with a weather network accepting webcam data. A free public network such as WU can absorb the cost of added bandwidth and storage by charging for the data usage to their clients. But a private manufacturer weather network such as Ecowitt.net finds itself in the predicament of how to provide webcam service when they aren't monetizing the data. The solution for the manufacturer's weather network to exist comes from the sale of weather stations. But the added cost of webcam support seems to have been decided to be solved by also selling the webcam itself in order for the station owner to have a webcam image be displayed on their weather station dashboard for the online service.

This to me seems like an unfortunate decision. Many of us already have a webcam image that we can share to the many online services. Needing a proprietary webcam in order to have an image on the manufacturer's service seems unnecessary. Besides the public is not going to Ecowitt.net when it requires a free account creation.

However obvious it may have seemed that the decision for a manufacturer to provide webcam image was to require the proprietary webcam sale, is not true in every case. Take for instance Ambientweather.net that has recently said that they will provide webcam support and that it will not require proprietary webcam nor a direct webcam sale. Meaning anyone will be able to add their existing Webcam to the service. It seems like they can justify the added expense by considering the added cost as part of the value add equation to their customers. Also Ambientweather.net is accessible without a login, granted some features are limited when you don't log in.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 06:00:26 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge (WeatherBridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline henry

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 06:26:07 AM »
Hi, Galfert. You made a perfectly reasonable point regarding the usage of this camera. To clarify first, this camera is only capable of taking pictures, no steam video. The camera shoot a picture once very 5 minutes, and this is to minimize the load to their server.   I think the purpose of this camera is more for storing the image like weather or the growth of corps on a farm.  With the help of AI processing capability, it can be used for analyzing software to judge the status of plants growth or any other interested topics behind.   

So weather camera is a by product usage.

No body know how this product will be end up with in future. So this is a test-idea product at this stage.

Offline kenthcwx

• Twitter Account
« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:37:28 AM »

[/quote]

power is from the black module, inside there are n.3 slots for 18650 lithium rechargeable batteries.
batteries are recharged by the solar panel, one battery is enough for one week without solar radiation

Mauro
[/quote]

Do you know if you can see the latest image on its own without the timelapse? I'm not sure if you could pass that back to them as feedback but I'd like to be able to share the single latest image whilst having the timelapse on its side.
Froggit WH4000
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt GW1000
Wunderground
Weathercloud
WOW
PWSWeather
Ecowitt
Personal Website

Offline mauro63

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 04:20:19 AM »

Mauro
[/quote]

Do you know if you can see the latest image on its own without the timelapse? I'm not sure if you could pass that back to them as feedback but I'd like to be able to share the single latest image whilst having the timelapse on its side.
[/quote]

Just done some days ago, Ecowitt are working to add this function

Mauro