Author Topic: Davis is failing Mac users  (Read 456 times)

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
Davis is failing Mac users
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »
I have had no luck with Davis on requesting help to update my Weatherlink IP. The repetitive response is, basically, go buy a PC.

I don't use PCs. I use Macs, or iPhones, or iPads. I haven't used PCs for years. Davis has abandoned the modern world on this one. I simply have no way to update their equipment. And, it would be cheaper to replace my Davis with someone else's weather station, than buy a PC just to do this. None of my other IoT devices make me use a PC.

Can't they pay some college student for a weekend to write an updater for iOS or MacOS?

Sheesh.

Rant complete.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Davis is failing Mac users
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 10:49:20 PM »
I could try and create an app for them, or someone else could too,  if they told us what needs to be done etc (source code etc)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:26:35 AM »
You just need a firmware update. So you only need a PC but for a moment and you are done. Can't you borrow a neighbor or friend's PC? Have them come over with their laptop and share a beer. Surely everyone you know isn't using only Apple. You can even do it the other way around....you take the Weatherlink IP to them if they have a desktop PC, then perform the update and then take it back home. You don't need to bring your ISS.

I'm not making an excuse for Davis. I'm just saying that sometimes you need to be resourceful. I'm sure Davis will fix this. It's just that it will take time.

Another option is to install Windows in a VM on your Mac. You can do that for free. You don't need a Windows license because it will be something you don't use but for one firmware update.

Another thing to do is to buy a $25 used PC. These days you can often find a free computer if you know where to look. I'm sure right now there are a ton of obsolete and unsupported Windows 7 computers being disposed or sold as used as Microsoft has just terminated Windows 7 updates. But for you to do a simple firmware update this doesn't matter.

Look at your local recycling transfer station for free dumped PCs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:35:56 AM by galfert »
WS-2000 & WS-2902A | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge (WeatherBridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:47 AM »
the virtual windows on a mac is good idea

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 08:10:59 PM »
So, I thought I would look into adding Windows 10 to my MacBook Pro to be able to install the fix to the WeatherLinkIP. While there is a rumor you can do this for free, there are hidden costs.

Apparently, somehow, you can get a free license and download Windows 10 and install it. But, to do that you need 64-128 GB of free memory on your boot disk hard drive. My MacBook Pro came with 121GB in the solid state drive. On which, after cleaning out, I have 37GB. (So, I wasn't able to confirm that it is possible to install and use Windows for free)

Okay, so I could upgrade my boot disk, which I don't otherwise need to do. That's roughly $150-600. I could buy a decent, Mac/iOS interfacing station for that money.

So, that's not free. Still don't know anyone that has a personal Windows laptop. Most people just giggle when I ask.

Oh wait, my employer makes me use a PC. Which they lock so that no-one can use it for tasks like this because of all the security hazards with activities like this (when using windows).

I'm sorry, but Davis is missing the boat with a premiuim priced product that is unsupported.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
The 32 bit version of Windows 10 requires 16 GB of storage. The 64 bit version of Windows 10 requires 20 GB. The Davis software probably is 32 bit.

Also you don't need a license for Windows 10. You don't need any license. A Windows 10 fresh install will run unlicensed for 30 days and let you do anything.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:44:50 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 05:02:09 AM »
Davis should offer a WM for Mac to do the update...

Web Apps

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
The 32 bit version of Windows 10 requires 16 GB of storage. The 64 bit version of Windows 10 requires 20 GB. The Davis software probably is 32 bit.

Also you don't need a icense for Windows 10. You don't need any license. A Windows 10 fresh install will run unlicensed for 30 days and let you do anything.

After looking for 30 minutes, I finally found the links to the 32-bit version. Clearly, they don't really want you to find it. Since I have to travel this week and next for work, maybe by the end of next week I can find the time to do the recommended back-up, partitioning, download, and install.

Then, I can learn how to use windows on my Mac.

Get some form of virus protection on the machine.

Download the installer.

Install the upgrades.

Uninstall windows.

Unpartition my hard drive.

Wait, where was I?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »
Wait, where was I?

Looking for an empty box to pack your logger in for shipping to Davis for them to apply the update?????  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 09:04:09 AM »
Wait, where was I?

Looking for an empty box to pack your logger in for shipping to Davis for them to apply the update?????  :lol:

First, wouldn’t need to get an RM# over the phone?  And, can I send both of mine back in the same box, or do I need two? Or two RM#s? Can I send them by regular mail or do they need to go Fed-ex? How much will that cost me?

So many questions. So much to do?

Again, apologies. But the hidden costs are mounting.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
the virus worry thing with windows is over the top I think
even if you did, its only going to be in that virtual machine

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 02:56:37 PM »
I agree that virus protection worry is unnecessary but it sounds like an attempt is going to be made to keep this Windows 10 install going for the long run. If that is the case then you will be needing a bigger hard drive, and you'd best install the 64 bit version of Windows 10 as that is what most people use now. But if you are just going to flash the firmware and be done then just install the 32 bit version (its is smaller) and then wipe that Windows 10 install to free up valuable space on that 120 GB drive (which is on the low side for today so you'll want to regain space.)
Tele-Pole

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
Here is another idea:

Another option I have just heard about is WINE. I have not tested it, but I have heard form a customer that he used t to update his on his MAC.
https://www.howtogeek.com/263211/how-to-run-windows-programs-on-a-mac-with-wine/

Unfortunately, I'm running Catalina, and couldn't get any of the free apps to work. Wine is not reported to be compatible with it.

Might work for someone else

Offline stu-in-flag

• stu-in-flag
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »
One of the pay to use "WINE" apps, CrossOver-Mac from Codeweavers, allows a full trial version for 14 days. They report compatibility for OS X Catalina. I ran it and the WLIP update for one of my stations. It seems to be working. Might get the other one tomorrow.

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/download-now

It was pretty straight-forward, but you have to grant permission because it isn't coming from the App store.

anything