Author Topic: Lightning detector  (Read 17081 times)

Online Rover1822

• Senior Contributor
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
Re: Lightning detector
« Reply #325 on: July 28, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »
I have yet to find anything in my house, from Arc / MIG welders to large air compressors, bunch of motor stuff , generators, that will trigger a false positive.

I don't have  Van de Graaff Generator so no idea on that :)

Ambient WS-2000
Ambient PM 2.5, 2
Ambient WH31B, 2
EcoWitt WH31, 2
EcoWitt GW1000,  2
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor
Ecowitt WH51 Soil Moisture, 8
Web Sites: WU, Ambient Weather , Ecowitt.net
Personal Sites: Weather Cam , Wind & Solar Power Data

Offline platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #326 on: July 28, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »
Try turning the lightning receiver on its side to see if that helps (signal polarisation)
Its quite possible that you have something in your house that is upsetting the signal.
If you are getting one bar that means the console is decoding 1 in 5 packets. This does not mean any loss of data, just that the data path is having some trouble and indicative of interference.
As long as you have at least one bar then the data is getting through to the station console.

Thanks for the reply.

Will give that a try. None of my other sensors have an issue with signal strength, all at full most all the time. Is the lighting sensor different than others with the type signal? 
2-WS-2000 | WS-2902A | GW1000 | AW MeteoBridge |
CWOP:FW5295 | :FW6969
WINDY:pws-1f06e86b4 |
PWSweather:343434 | :KILROCKF100
WU:KILPLATO3 | :KILROCKF100

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
I had a weatherflow station and that would constantly register false lightning several times a day, every day. I haven't had that issue with the Ecowitt lightning sensor at all. I did trigger it purposely to test it when I got it, by pressing buttons on a TV remote right next to the sensor.

Offline OliverThomas

« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2020, 07:15:37 AM »
I just bought my first WH57 and just wondered if anyone had any tips on the best place to put it?

I'm in suburban area in Melbourne, Australia. If anyone has any tips for the settings as well that would be great.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:19:22 AM by OliverThomas »

Offline K2GW

• Former Navigator; Amateur Radio; Skywarn Spotter
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »
Lots of hints already in this thread if you scroll up, but generally away from any other electrical equipment, within sight of the console, and if possible, protected by plastic from direct rain.  Elevation isnít important for 500 KHz ground waves.

Offline Autofill

« Reply #330 on: August 12, 2020, 10:25:41 PM »
Just curious if any of you are getting false positives? I have mine set up as down, down, up down.  It's mounted indoors. During a thunderstorm it works pretty well, sometimes registering couple hundred strikes, however sometimes when there's even clouds in the sky but no visible lightning or audible thunder, I get one to three strikes registered which is always at the same distance. Could very well be external interference, but one is to rule out any other errors with the device.
Ecowitt WH2320E
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31

Offline funsutton

• Weather Underground
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »
I've never gotten false positives and we've had a few thunderstorms since I last posted here.

If anything, there've been a couple times that I've heard thunder and the detector missed it, but that's about it.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #332 on: Yesterday at 08:25:27 AM »
My detector is going nuts as storm approach!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #333 on: Yesterday at 08:52:11 AM »
Although it is in the Blitzortung area, the info in the link might prove useful for identifying noise sources that can affect your lightning detector. I have an AS3935 interfaced to my older Blitzortung RED unit. Same hardware, but different software and presentation. I do see spurious responses, but after tweaking the settings, it works fairly well. There are probably more software "knobs" that I can play with as opposed to the WS-2000 et al.

See this for suggestions: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20439.0

One idea is to take a portable AM radio and tune it to a non-station frequency near the lower end of the radio band. If you hear noise on the radio and it increases or decreases based on location, you might be able to identify the offending noise source.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jibster

« Reply #334 on: Yesterday at 08:58:07 AM »
I have had the WH57 for a few weeks now. The first one I received (purchased through Amazon) had continuous false positives - averaging close to one per hour (approximate). I tried every switch setting. It was hanging in a wooden shed with no electrical wiring.  I ordered another WH57 from Amazon, and returned the first one as defective. The new one arrived and has been performing well. I am using default settings and there have been no apparent false positives (at least when storms are not present in the area).

Note: both of the WH57 units arrived with all the switches in the UP position despite the instructions describing DOWN as the default position.
ECOWITT GW1000 | WH32 | WS68 | WH40 | WH57

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNCRALEI465

Offline Autofill

« Reply #335 on: Yesterday at 11:23:13 AM »
thanks for this information. Its really hard to pinpoint this out, it could be as simple as my neighbor turning on his plasma TV or it could be defective? An to be honest, I don't know what the definition of defective is in this case. Something that registers nothing (which is not the case) or something that registers many false strikes (which could be intereference that you don't see?). For now, I just lowered the sensitivity to default (all down) from a high setting. As mine is showing 1-3 spikes a day at the same distance with the high setting. I'm ok with it missing some strikes (which it does), but this is by design. Even under the most optimal conditions and settings, its designed to register at most 60% of the strikes. This number drops as the sensitivity changes (according to the technical document).
Ecowitt WH2320E
Ecowitt HP2551-C
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH31

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #336 on: Yesterday at 01:12:20 PM »
Ended up recording 300 strikes today, and I only heard 3 rumbles of thunder.  :-(

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #337 on: Yesterday at 01:41:22 PM »
Ditto, 175 today so far and 265 yesterday I think.
Been watching Windy most of the day and its been like light bulbs going off all around so I am confident that these were not false positives.
Some were close by and you could hear the constant thunder and some much further away but its been impressive in its recording for me.
Retired: Old Maplin N96Y/FO Weather station
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2550A + WH65 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt WH51 (x4) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor (pre-prod test)