Author Topic: Ambient WS-2000 vs. Ecowitt HP2551 - plus GW1000  (Read 8689 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambient WS-2000 vs. Ecowitt HP2551 - plus GW1000
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 06:07:26 PM »
You and Galfert saw my posts about my intention to work on it and didn't offer to help.

I didn't offer to help???? hu? All I do around here is help...and you've thanked me. I'm sorry but maybe I'm misunderstanding your request for help.

And I'm going to stick up for Mandrake too...which is an excellent member and also very helpful.

It is difficult to keep track of all threads to see what was discussed. So remind me again what help it is that you are not getting.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:06:04 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge (WeatherBridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »
Cheeriop,

As far as I know there has been no official release of the API, and frankly I don't expect one for general use (solely my opinion). There are perhaps some agreements that have been made to foster product growth with individuals with proven technology and already established uses. I am OK with that. These units are sold primarily "as is" to for people to use as a weather station.

There are other open avenues established , such as the custom server option, that , in reality, offers "near" the same benefits. As a developer , you should be able to understand how to use for your own benefit. The fact that there is a way to do this is extraordinary, sure, there is not documentation on it, and probably for good reason , such as the manufacturer would then have to support the documentation . Hence, you can peruse this forum and see how other's have done it.

I read back, I'm sorry, but I didn't see you requesting specific help from anyone, and as you can probably gather, this forum is not operated or moderated by the manufacturer (although they may comment)  of the products in question and advice given is purely voluntary. You seem to be getting upset that no one has offered you help for a question you have not really asked.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:01:39 PM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:WS-2000,PM 2.5 x2,WH31B x2, WH40E
EcoWitt: GW1000 x4,WH31 x2,WH57,WH51 x8, WH40,WH5360B
Stratus: Manual rain gauge
Web Sites: WU, Ambient Weather , Ecowitt.net , Ecowitt.net (TEST)
Personal Sites: Weather Cam , Wind & Solar Power Data

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Grumpy old italian
    • DTVRC
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 06:22:51 PM »
Oh, I'm not upset at all and I'm not expecting or asking any help from anybody and I'm sorry to drag galfert into this argument.
It was just a general rant about how these things are usually managed and triggered  by mandrake that with:

"...you can approach Ecowitt directly through Lucy or via Galfert or myself and we might be able to provide the API documentation."

seem to imply that they're holding  the "Secret book of knowledge" for whatever reason I don't really care about in this specific case [tup]

I usually post around because having people interested just boost a bit my energy and enthusiasm level and check how different they feel about things  but I enjoy doing things regardless because I like the challenges

Stay safe everybody and happy 2021

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 08:11:15 PM »
So by lack of help you are referring to nobody handing you the API that practically nobody has. Mandrake doesn't have so I'm not sure why he gets thrown under the bus. I have it but I'm under NDA. The 3rd party software developers have it by having worked through me and they are also under NDA. That also means that I have any no say nor control over the availability of the API. I'm only acting under Ecowitt's strict orders. Several users like Mandrake, Olicat, Rover1822 and I have offered you other perspectives and options to work within the Ecowitt protocol. We have also explained why the API is under such tight control. If you still don't agree with the state of things then there is nobody to take that up with other than Ecowitt. I would therefore conclude that it is not true that nobody is offering help. Everyone mentioned has done everything that they can do to provide you with the information that they can give you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:04:26 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »
Agree with Galfert that its not anyone's intention to withhold information that can be freely shared!

Perhaps I chose my wording poorly, but what I was suggesting was that if you have a genuine application idea that you feel worthy you could discuss with Galfert or I and we could broker the discussion with Ecowitt (Lucy) or you can cut out the middlemen and go direct to Lucy which in the circumstances would probably be best!

As Galfert has stated our relationship with Ecowitt is on a trust basis and neither of us would wish to break their trust so cannot directly share such documentation and knowledge that we have without their consent. This is with the full intention of furthering the needs of the enthusiast community.
I hope that you understand the position we are in and trying to achieve for all. After all there are few manufacturers around that engage with their community as does Ecowitt/Fine Offset.
Retired: Old Maplin N96Y/FO Weather station
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35)

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Grumpy old italian
    • DTVRC
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
So by lack of help you are referring to nobody handing you the API that practically nobody has. Mandrake doesn't have so I'm not sure why he gets thrown under the bus. I have it but I'm under NDA. The 3rd party software developers have it by having worked through me and they are also under NDA. That also means that I have any no say nor control over the availability of the API.

No, I never asked for any help and I'm not throwing anybody under any bus.

I'm an hobbist that like to tinker. I shared with other hobbists that I was going to play with the GW1000 protocol.

I had no idea about any documentation, if anybody is under any NDA or any legal obligation about querying a device connected to my network; I saw other people playing with it and I thought it could have be helpful for other people.

Implementing an API query is matter of few hours and completely legal with the owner blessing and documentation versus days of sniffing packets, reverse engineering and potentially illegal without the documentation.

I'm probably going to do it regardless and not sharing my progress on here since Ecowitt official position about it and I'm assuming full responsability for doing it.

I installed (the very impressive) Cumuls MX and they seem to have implemented the protocol and release the source code
(that would be pretty much like having the documentation).

Ofcourse they have their own legal and documentation problems:
Note: Cumulus MX is strictly for non-commercial, non-government use only. It contains products produced by Highsoft which are not free for commercial and governmental use.

Thanks Galfert for clarify your, Ecowitt and Mandrake position.

Offline DevilDoc

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
You can add the soil moisture sensor (WH31SM), lightning detector (WH31L), Leak Detector (WH31La), and Probed thermometer (WH31P) to the WS2000.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:51:11 PM by DevilDoc »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 07:49:46 PM »
You can add the soil moisture sensor (WH31SM), lightning detector (WH31L), Leak Detector (WH31La), and Probed thermometer (WH31P) to the WS2000.

True. As this is an old thread now that is just over a year old, things have changed...for the better. I'm not going to revise the original post to cover these new sensors. But there isn't much need to do so anyway for two reasons. First this thread is about the differences and some of these new sensors are common to both stations. This thread is about the differences. The other reason is because there is a new thread that will hopefully better serve as a way to document all of the sensor possibilities that all of these stations can support:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0
Tele-Pole

Offline DevilDoc

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »
whoops, didn't mean to necro the thread.  Having installed the WS-2000 today I was going through the forums and saw the graphic was lacking those. 

I'll check out the new thread.

Thanks!