Author Topic: Just bought a Davis Vantage Pro2 Rain Tipping Spoon upgrade (7345.147)  (Read 506 times)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Hey guys

Just ordered on of these since my tipping bucket needs calibrated and since Davis will be including this version on all new vPro2's thought i'd upgrade now. this is a Metrix Model though guess you guys in the US will have an imperial one too?

Davis Vantage  Pro2 Rain Tipping Spoon upgrade 7345.147​​​​​​​ released June 2019

New for 2019 a redesigned rain tipping spoon assembly which improves accuracy according to Davis. Soon to be standard in all newly purchased Pro2 stations.

Simply remove the existing see-saw assembly of the Pro2 and clip this in its place with the emptying spoon facing the rear of the station.

Measures in 0.2mm increments.

looks like these two firms are selling them but are now both out of stock.

US: https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/rain-collector-parts/davis-7345-147-single-spoon-tipping-bucket-rain-collector-assembly-0-2-mm-metric/

UK: https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/davis-vantage--pro2-rain-tipping-spoon-upgrade-7345147-1058-p.asp

I hope it performs better than the previous one.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:23:43 PM by ConligWX »

Offline weather34

• its just my hobby
  • Forecaster
    • Weather34 Meteobridge MB-SMART
Re: just bought a Davis Vantage Pro2 Rain Tipping Spoon upgrade (7345.147)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:33:59 PM »
had mine a few weeks now from weatherspares metric just not had any significant rainfall to draw any conclusion.
"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."--Herman Melville

https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/meteobridge-mb-smart.html

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »
I'd ordered mine as I had only just seen these were available and my tipping bucket at present is not reporting the correct values at all.

Hopefully this new bucket will perform on par with other local stations and manual rain gauges once fitted.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »
There is a 15 page thread found here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35153.0

Seems to have mixed reviews so far. This last few pages of the thread are where folks have begun posting real world results and comparisons. 

Offline weather34

• its just my hobby
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:25:08 AM »
I'd ordered mine as I had only just seen these were available and my tipping bucket at present is not reporting the correct values at all.

Hopefully this new bucket will perform on par with other local stations and manual rain gauges once fitted.

simon only observations i been able to make it does trigger a rain start earlier and seemed more sensitive to the light short rain events we have had but as above i have not had any significant daily rainfall last months less than 4mm since i installed it .

i followed the thread mentioned above for many months and thought it was a worthy upgrade and adrian at weatherspares made it a no hassle simple shipment to turkey .

dont be heavy handed when removing existing one ....brian
"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."--Herman Melville

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 06:48:53 PM »
Thanks for the update guys, hoping to get my new gauge in the post tomorrow.

Offline wxman13

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Just recently , upgraded my VP2 of 11yrs to a new VP2, and mine came with the new tipping spoon, after 3 light rainfall events found mine to underreport significantly( Have read that most have found just the opposite to be true), compared to my Stratus gauge. The tipping spoon is much easier to adjust/calibrate than the tipping buckets to me, just remove the top screw and the top separates from the base, underneath you will find a 1/4" hex bolt to make the adjustment. Mine has now been exactly in line with my Stratus Gauge on most events, or within .01" so far. Need more rain events to make a final assessment here.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 04:46:15 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Just got mine fitted this morning and have a CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge to put up in a too so I can evaluate both readings.

Offline weather34

• its just my hobby
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 04:52:53 AM »
oh to live in the uk such fast delivery  :grin:

just got back to istanbul this morning first time ive been able monitor with actual rainfall whilst im here and can confirm it does trigger off reasonably well under light rain conditions it was just a matter of minutes before registered its first tip and certainly not a heavy significant rainfall start but now its tipping regularly now the rain has intensified..overall im happy and as always i view in a relative manner..dont think your be disappointed..have fun...brian

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 04:59:22 AM »
Yeah considering I live in Northern Ireland we usually incur and extra day delivery and and extra expense, but to be honest Royal Mail special delivery (Saturday) works very well and is reasonably priced, though our weather is usually much wetter than your location. I guess there is a trade off, warm weather or good Postal service ;)

You can't have both - lol

Offline weather34

• its just my hobby
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 05:17:12 AM »
i would swap istanbul night humidity for uk weather anyday itís oppressive night time 25c - 27c temp dewpoint 22-23 humidity 80-90% that combination absolutely mullers you ..

as for the tipping bucket winds are fluctuating 20-30kmh presently whilst not ultra windy but significant breeze and  its tipping away frequently..have fun simon