Author Topic: Separate Raing Gauge from Wind Sensors  (Read 1262 times)

Offline ManPereira

Separate Raing Gauge from Wind Sensors
« on: July 31, 2019, 06:38:16 AM »
Hi

I would like to launch an idea about a technical adventure :lol:

I would like to ask if any of you ever had the idea to separate the external sensors from the Ambient Weather WA2902 or Froggit WH 3000 WH3500 Ventus W830 ... They equal.

The goal would be to place the sensors more correctly, to try what Davis could do.
The connection between rain gauge and the other sensors in external blcok sensors, would be made through cable, ie separate only the rain gauge.
Your comments on the subject will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Manuel Pereira

The idea:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Separate Raing Gauge from Wind Sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »
The problem would be protecting the PCB in both the rain gauge and the main unit. You would also lose the level bubble as it would go with the rain gauge and the level is important for the wind direction too. Who knows if the added cable length would introduce problems with added resistance on the wires. It would look pretty ghetto too and that doesn't appeal to me.

I feel I get pretty good results from my all in one design where this isn't really warranted. True I do see that my wind isn't reporting quite as high as the airport but it is the same direction and speed is equally displayed but just with some different magnitude. I don't need wind at 30 feet. I get the idea and I can extrapolate what is high and what is low and I get to compare my location from one day to the next to itself and I match my neighbors that also aren't at 30 feet. But I understand everyone has different needs and opinions. If it really mattered I'd not have an all-in-one.

I would say that if this really is something that matters that much that it would just be simpler to get the following from Ecowitt. You don't have to order the whole station with screen as they'll sell the components separately. But I think only the GW1000, HP2551, and HP3500 consoles can see these sensors. So it depends on your existing console. Maybe you would need a complete new station in some cases.
http://www.ecowitt.com/weather_station/97.html

But if you want to be adventurous and try separating the halves then by all means go for it. You just need a long 5 wire cable and devise some way to seal and protect the halves. Separating and recabling is going to be simple and easy. The challenge will be in protecting the halves. It will probably work. See pictures here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37532.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:38:50 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ManPereira

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
Many thanks for your comment. It helps a lot. [tup]

Now I will look for the Ecowitt HP3501here in Europe.

Best regards.

ManPereira

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
You don't need to look for it in Europe. Just order directly from Ecowitt. They ship worldwide.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole