Author Topic: NEW - WU Webcam Changes - Requires new Key - changes required by 9/20/2019!  (Read 5678 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Looks like big changes are coming for Webcam image upload.

This message was just posted.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The only problem is that there is no key issued nor showing yet.

EDIT: It would seem as though this is just for FTP webcam upload. There is also no mention if this requires a new Webcam device creation or if existing webcams will receive a key. We would lose camera images if we had to delete these old Webcam devices !!!

UPDATE: Seems like creating a URL Webcam also produces a Key. No instructions on how to use the key with URL Webcam posted yet. But it makes no sense to need a key for URL Webcam. So this new key may still yet be only for FTP....anyone's guess at this point.

UPDATE 2: I've discovered that if you edit an existing Webcam device and save it that a new key is generated. This way you can get a key and keep your history images!   \:D/  Too bad this isn't documented anywhere.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37543.msg386420#msg386420

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:07:16 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX

Would it hurt the team to post some instructions?

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
I don't have a web cam but I did enjoy viewing the local and distant cams of members that have posted them. Now most are missing and the ones that are visible are spotty at best.  WU has a couple months to generate the Keys and hopefully they can accomplish that. They have not updated the Weather Channel Current Known Issues > Webcam FTP issues regarding this latest development. Last update is from May 06, 2019.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Would it hurt the team to post some instructions?

Well there are these instructions once you go into your camera setup under My Devices:
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
Why do I feel like Charlie Brown about to kick a football, again? (It's a tough job being a surly, old, curmudgeon but somebody has to do it.)

One other comment/observation...I assume, and we know what that does, that "upload key" and "password" are interchangeable terms.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:28:30 PM by awsum140 »
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
If you delete your webcam on WU and do the set up again, they do now provide you with the upload key instead of it saying "N/A". I tried to connect my webcam, which I could never do, and after entering the upload key and putting in the username as it appears, it still failed. The webcam I have is a Reolink.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:02:23 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
looks like time to retire my old ubiqitty  camera, use it as a dummy camera out front and delete webcam from my meteobridge .   camera is all blurry and I am not sure how to replace it without going through setup again.   it's a POE using cat 5 and rj45 plugs.  FTP upload

password vs api key vs WTF    ](*,)
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
The interesting grammar in that notice makes me think this project has been offshored.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
The interesting grammar in that notice makes me think this project has been offshored.

I was waiting for someone else to notice that AND come to that conclusion. Ding Ding Ding.... You win the prize!
Tele-Pole

Offline Eguraldia

still failed..even with the new system ..I try with Filezzilla and the same....failed ](*,)

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless)

Meteobridge

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
I added my webcam back and it gave me an upload key. However, the URL is still failing.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
At least it's consistent, doesn't work with the "upload" key or the password.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I just updated the OP.

It would seem as though this is just for FTP webcam upload. There is also no mention if this requires a new Webcam device creation or if existing webcams will receive a key.

...Well we have time.

UPDATE: I just created a URL Webcam and it produced an upload key. No instructions posted yet on how to use this with the URL Webcam.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:10:59 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
I can say that I have a "created" FTP webcam, created back in March or April, and it is not displaying an upload key.  It has never worked.  Given that they mention September 20th in their post I don't expect to see an upload key until then at the earliest.  Given the current track record, I don't really expect it to happen in September either.

It's also interesting to note that the "upload key" is blank, but the configuration shows "password" rather than "upload key".  Kind of fits with the "would only work" line.  On the other hand, at least they're showing the basic configuration needed for FTP.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:37:03 AM by awsum140 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
If people want to test this new key method I suggest just creating a new FTP webcam device. Keep the old webcam ID with password and DO NOT DELETE IT.

UPDATE: Just edit your old Webcam device and save it. A new key will be generated if you are missing one.

I just created a new webcam FTP device and it produced a key. I tried to use it and I get the following error (using Meteobridge):
Error: Weather Underground Camera FTP upload failed: ncftpput: cannot open webcam.wunderground.com: username and/or password was not accepted for login.

I'll let it ride for a while and see if it takes some time to propagate to the servers before you can actually begin uploading. If not then I can fall back to my old regular FTP with password which was working right up to this point....well working in the sense that it was hit or miss with the 3 FTP servers as usual.

One nice thing I noticed is that under My Devices the new Webcam now shows up with a link to it where my old webcams (FTP and URL) do not have a link under the Name column.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:01:41 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
Neither method of using a key or my password is/has been working. I removed the cams and added them again - makes no difference. The problem lies with them accepting FTP.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Update: I created a URL Webcam. It produced a device with an upload key. There are no instructions posted that I could find on how to use the upload key with a URL Webcam.

This just does not make sense. A URL Webcam would indicate to me that you are giving WU a URL to fetch an image from some server on the Internet. Why or how would an upload key be relevant in this situation???? If you embed the key in the URL then the server on the Internet with your image is not going to like seeing that key in that URL.....unless it ignores it. But still seems pretty pointless regardless. I can't wrap my head around this. ????? Anyone???

Edit: Maybe WU filters out the key from the URL before using it to fetch the image.....but why bother requiring it? I just don't see the point.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:21:47 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
Well, I was going to comment that their original "pop-up" mentioned all cameras.  Exactly how that applies to a URL based camera beats the bedickens out of me.  How you're going to pass the upload key to them is beyond my pay grade.  Maybe they're shutting down URL based to save resources?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Well, I was going to comment that their original "pop-up" mentioned all cameras.  Exactly how that applies to a URL based camera beats the bedickens out of me.  How you're going to pass the upload key to them is beyond my pay grade.  Maybe they're shutting down URL based to save resources?

This pop-up warning only happens when you go to edit an old FTP Webcam device. It doesn't happen when you edit an old URL Webcam device.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I sure hope we don't need to create new Webcam devices with upload keys.  We will lose our old images!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:45:40 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
I meant the "pop up" that you posted at the top of this page.  Somehow, I think before all is said and done, if I live that long, that both the weather station and camera will need to be re-created.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
since camera image became square and then moved to page 3, I really can't whoop up much enthusiasm about what happens.  I would imagine lots of camera folks will just give up their camera feed rather than jump through the latest set off flaming hoops like a Chihuahua on meth. 
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
I have the "vapaas".  I got a "key" and tried a manual login from a command prompt.  It worked!  I'm in shock!  Once I recover I'll  re-config the camera to actually try getting an image uploaded, albeit in square format and post the results.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
This is a first for my Reolink camera I have. It never said the ftp test succeeded until now, but still no images on WU yet. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
Just checked to see if my camera is reporting images now and it is for the first time, but only to the WU website, not the android app yet.

anything