Author Topic: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page  (Read 6594 times)

Offline crawdad62

Re: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
I still canít believe weíre here moaning about thing and the company responsible is none other than Big Blue. IBM. WOW!

Offline Weatheroger

« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
It has been 48 hours since the forecast location update. The 10 day forecast shows my station however when selecting the calendar tab it shows an airport 60 miles away. Still confused....
KCAGRASS150 WU page: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAGRASS150
Glenwood Station
Grass Valley Ca.
WS-1401-IP +  PM 2.5 Air Quality Sensor
Ambient page: https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/cb606b61152ec0de5b4e6d97c5ab8af7

Offline awsum140

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Being it's IBM, you'd think they'd ask Watson for some help getting these problems fixed.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
My personal opinion is they aren't doing anything to fix WU !!  They have the code already to add the decimal point and everything else they need from the "old" pages . The " old " pages are working without the maps and you cannot sign in anymore but they still have the decimal point in the weather .  All they would have to do is copy and paste the old code into the new format and BOOM it would be corrected . They have taken a one or two day job and made a career out of it .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline Weatheroger

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
My personal opinion is they aren't doing anything to fix WU !!  They have the code already to add the decimal point and everything else they need from the "old" pages . The " old " pages are working without the maps and you cannot sign in anymore but they still have the decimal point in the weather .  All they would have to do is copy and paste the old code into the new format and BOOM it would be corrected . They have taken a one or two day job and made a career out of it .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
If it were as simple as that it would have been done, ya' think. It has been stated before that none of the old system can be used.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:17:32 PM by Weatheroger »
KCAGRASS150 WU page: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAGRASS150
Glenwood Station
Grass Valley Ca.
WS-1401-IP +  PM 2.5 Air Quality Sensor
Ambient page: https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/cb606b61152ec0de5b4e6d97c5ab8af7

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2019, 02:37:09 PM »

[/quote]
If it were as simple as that it would have been done, ya' think. It has been stated before that none of the old system can be used.
[/quote]

From what I could find IBM has owned WU and  Weather.com since 2015  . So they have had the " code" for over 4 years I believe . I think someone in there team is trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just making things work right . But that's only my opinion .

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »
From what I could find IBM has owned WU and  Weather.com since 2015  . So they have had the " code" for over 4 years I believe . I think someone in there team is trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just making things work right . But that's only my opinion .

Part of the problem is that they *DON'T* have all the source code.  Also, many systems were not well documented and the original developers are gone.

Offline davidmc36

• IONOTTAW14
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
I thought it looked like steady progress. First Rapid Fire came back. Now my Webcam is working as of a week or so. Rome was not built in a day.
David Vantage Pro2 WiFi Logger
WU IONOTTAW14 AWEKAS 15306 WL MOREWOOD ON CWOP FW4738

Offline alanb

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »
Part of the problem is that they *DON'T* have all the source code.  Also, many systems were not well documented and the original developers are gone.
On top of that, we don't really know what development platform the old system used or what they are using in the new design. I spent my career in IT starting with IBM mainframes in the late '60s, going through the PC revolution in the 80's/90's, Y2K, Internet based web applications, smartphones. I lost count of the number of conversions, rewrites, application obsolescence and abandonment, false starts, etc. that I was involved with. But major upgrades/rewrites are never trivial, and often there is little beyond conceptual design that can be salvaged from the old system. I'm not saying IBM/WU is blameless in all the criticism they are getting Ö just that the fixes are probably not as simple as they seem like they should be looking in from the outside. 

Ö this is just a 2 cent observation from an old f@rt who doesn't really know what is going on at WU. I don't even own a weather station yet (waiting for the Acurite Atlas Elite before I decide what to get), but I sure hope WU is successful. I use WU all the time to monitor other stations in my neighborhood, and for the most part WU is reliable for that purpose. I suppose I may have a different opinion once I have a weather station of my own.
Alan

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:36 PM »
the missing decimals is not so much as a fix
it was likely it was not setup in the new api in the first place
and so that needs to be updated (and the underlying database)
and so they will need to wait until the coder who set that up is available

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Senior Contributor
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
I thought it looked like steady progress. First Rapid Fire came back. Now my Webcam is working as of a week or so. Rome was not built in a day.

But it did burn down in just 5 days...

Offline boss281

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 04:16:54 PM »
*DELETE*
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:18:56 PM by boss281 »
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline rormeister

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 06:18:07 PM »
*DELETE*

Shame we canít just do that to the WU hot mess re-deux. Itís stunning how many other pieces are broken throughout the entire website. If I believed they were actually invested in fixing things, Iíd have a much lighter disposition.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #138 on: Yesterday at 06:20:26 PM »
I have ripped just about anything WU -related from my site and have stopped sending data.....And you know what...It's nice not worrying whether your data is going to be there, time-delayed, not processed, etc...
Best decision ever! Huge load off.....
Jim Wyman
Southern Maryland Weather
http://somdweather.com
http://scit.somdweather.com

anything