Author Topic: cumulus mx vs cumulus  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
cumulus mx vs cumulus
« on: February 03, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Been using cumulus for years just read that it will not do menu in 2020 can someone tell me what does cumulus mx do that cumulus dose not?

I can't even find a picture of cumulus mx to see what it looks like. Can i move the data over from cumulus to cumulus mx?

I know cumulus is no longer updated as is cumulus mx but mx is going on.

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
Re: cumulus mx vs cumulus
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:17:57 PM »
Info on v1.9.4 and 2020 is here: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17227

... and of course all the info on MX and migration etc.
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
Info on v1.9.4 and 2020 is here: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17227

... and of course all the info on MX and migration etc.

interesting, i just installed MX to see what it looked like is the only way to access it through your PC IP? Looks like i have a lot of reading to do.

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »
I stayed with the original Cumulus. Prefer it, no issues with it.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:20:35 AM »
I stayed with the original Cumulus. Prefer it, no issues with it.

Can i ask what issues you had?

Why does MX have no GUI but you use it as a web server what is the benefit? One i can think of is you can view it remotely.

I put most all of my work into a website for cumulus using tags will they transfer over with MX? It looks like they will for the most part.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:23:10 AM by Tazz 316 »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19:48 AM »
I put most all of my work into a website for cumulus using tags will they transfer over with MX? It looks like they will for the most part.
Yes, but if the webtags have additional date formatting then some minor changes may be needed.

I am a long time Cumulus 1 user and like it a lot.  I had also tried each of the past MX beta versions and the new GUI was pretty easy to get used to but MX did not have everything that Cumulus 1 has so continued with Cumulus 1.  I was fortunate to get a hold of an additional console and WiFiLogger last year and then started to use MX as well.  After some communication issues of using Cumulus and WiFiLogger at the same time, that have now been fully resolved in the newer MX versions and WiFiLogger, I run both.  Cumulus 1 still feeds my websites and various uploads as it has for nearly 10 years.  My Cumulus MX is mainly used for testing other scripts http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/betel_monthlyrecord_mx.html#Jan

Both Cumulus' are now 100% reliable.  Both work with the same manufacturer/versions of weather station and devices.  The webtags and data files created and uploaded are identical so interchangeable.

Cumulus 1 is a completed PC application and no more modifications or updates.  It continues to do what it was designed to too, and does it well.  It can be used with pretty well any script or template that use the webtags and data files.

Cumulus MX is an ongoing development including new build updates.  It can run on PC, Pi and Mac.  It might at first be strange to see it running in a DOS screen but once running it can be minimized and show on the task bar just like any other running application.  It is then visible and accessible for settings or whatever from any computer connected to the network, including WiFi such as a tablet or laptop.  The GUI was changed to accommodate the multi platform of users, and once running shows mostly the things as Cumulus 1 but in a different appearance.  However MX GUI can be modified to suit and display whatever and however a user likes it by editing the supporting files in the same way a user may modify webpages and template files (beyond my coding knowledge though).  By default the GUI includes the ssgauges which are a well liked way to display the data.  MX also has a built-in MySQL database feature for Monthly, Dayfile and Realtime data.

There are some minor differences in the webtag date format between the programs, and Cumulus.ini vs cumulus.ini setup file name, but all data files can be copied from and to the other. 

The adding of additional extra files to internet upload and not needing to restart Cumulus when some settings are changed (in cumulus.ini) is a plus feature for MX.  There are some items in Cumulus 1 that are not yet in MX - Console Edit function, Help for each item in the console display, some displayed items.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 06:57:17 PM »
Thank you for that info. :)