Author Topic: Antenna Mods for WS-2092 WS-2000 Consoles  (Read 73 times)

Offline Hexhead

Antenna Mods for WS-2092 WS-2000 Consoles
« on: Yesterday at 05:38:51 PM »
Newbie here.

Reading through old threads about modding the Osprey Array by adding a yagi antenna, and notice member danoh breifly mentioning upgrading the antenna on the console as well.

I've searched and read, but haven't been able to come up with anything other than the single mention.

Has anyone got any info (preferably with pictures) on the process? I would be very grateful!

Offline StephenR0

Re: Antenna Mods for WS-2092 WS-2000 Consoles
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:36:38 PM »
I can't say that I've modified the antenna on the console.  But I do have some experience with modifying the antenna on a software defined radio.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35494.msg377008#msg377008

Since then, I reoriented the antenna to be laying flat (horizontal).  Both positions seemed to work well.  The only problem with this type of antenna is finding a ground in the console to work with the full wave loop antenna.  It may be as simple as using the negative from the battery.

I have considered looking into solutions.  My WS-2902A console does lose contact with the sensor array sometimes.  I'm not sure if it's interference or just weak signal from going through walls.  But the GW1000 in the same room has no trouble at all receiving the signal.  I think the GW1000 is somewhat more sensitive than the console.

Something else that I've considered is to straighten out the wire antenna in the console.  That would require drilling a hole for the antenna wire to be able to go up instead of having to bend over in the case.  I haven't experimented with this either.

Offline WSWeather

• Senior Contributor
Re: Antenna Mods for WS-2092 WS-2000 Consoles
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:10:34 PM »
  But the GW1000 in the same room has no trouble at all receiving the signal.  I think the GW1000 is somewhat more sensitive than the console.

Unless you've swapped the two at their exact locations that's probably not a good assumption.  Sometimes moving the console as little as a couple inches or rotating it slightly is the difference between spotty reception and constant contact with the sensors. 

anything