Author Topic: Moving a PWS  (Read 256 times)

Offline kaymann

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
Moving a PWS
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
Greetings,

So I moved (16 miles as the Crow Flies) and took my PWS with me so I took the following steps;
  • Changed the Latitude and Longitude in my Davis Console
  • Changed the Location on WU and got a new WU ID (successful)
  • Changed the Location on findu and got a confirmation email (successful)

I Checked the location on forcast.weather.gov and the location is still found at the old location but the Latitude and Longitude is correctly list to the new location...
Did I miss a step here in the process two other station move were completed successfully given the above taken steps...
Any ideas why my location hasn't changed for NWS map?
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-111.05851113796234&lat=32.418732790609056#.XAKxKGiM9aQ

Randall

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • http://www.TylerTexasWeather.Com
Re: Moving a PWS
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
Randall,

It looks like the location in your NWS link is Lat: 32.418732790609056 and Lon:-111.05851113796234, but the CWOP location being shown for DW4959 is Lat: 32.18523, Lon: -111.0772. I'm not sure which one is your old and new locations, but my guess is the CWOP location info hasn't propagated your changes through the system yet.

Steve

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »
Think it can take up to a week to work changes through CWOP-MADIS-NWS.

Offline kaymann

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
Thank you all - I went to the MADIS map found my station at the old location also the LAT and LON listed also the old values.
It has been 5 days and CWOPS already has it all down correctly so I guess I will wait a little longer.
It just seemed to take so little time in my past moves - I will be more patient.

Randall

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:38 AM »
Decimal Degrees (Latitude and Longitude) with more than 6 digits past the decimal are pretty much unnecessary. Get rid of unnecessary complexity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_degrees#Precision

With 6 decimal places you have a precision of about 4 inches. You don't need more than that for weather station placement. With 7 decimal places you are at better than half an inch precision.

UPDATE: Just realized that the Latitude / Longitude in the link above was created by a map click on NWS site. I thought at first it was what was being used by the station. I'm surprised by this behavior of the NWS site.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:54:29 AM by galfert »
WS-2902A | ObserverIP | WeatherBridge (Meteobridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Tele-Pole flag pole is here (not installed yet)

Offline kaymann

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »
Well MESOWEST finally picked up on the change so their is hope NWS is next  :grin:

Randall
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:41:44 AM by kaymann »

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
Well MESOWEST finally picked up on the change so their is hope NWS is next  :grin:

Randall

Well, MesoWest-Utah pulls their data from MADIS, which for most of our PWS feeds, ingests it from CWOP-APRS. MADIS is NOAA/NWS, so any moment now it'll pop up there.

Offline stoat

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »

Station updates for the webpage only get pushed once a week (on Thursdays) so you are probably looking at another 4 days.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
Thank you all - I went to the MADIS map found my station at the old location also the LAT and LON listed also the old values.
It has been 5 days and CWOPS already has it all down correctly so I guess I will wait a little longer.
It just seemed to take so little time in my past moves - I will be more patient.

Randall
Kaymann -- Looks like NOAA/NWS/MADIS has activated your move because NWS/TUC now locates you out west by Tucson Estates (moving 'closer' to the sunsets?).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:57:57 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX1 Precision Digital Barograph
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline kaymann

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 08:24:17 PM »
Greetings and thanks everyone and I apologize for the impatience... If I had only waited one more day. OTM thanks again for Barometer help I while back. I used your suggestions to get my Barometer squared away from the get go this time.  BTW the Desert views are killer from my new location so when I get a little more settled in I will start posting pictures again...

anything