Author Topic: AWEKAS - Great for neighbor data comparison but not popular in US  (Read 1567 times)

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
Strange that AWEKAS is not more popular in the US. I find the neighbor comparison graphs interesting. Sure the site likes to default to metric but you can click the American Units link and switch in an instant.

I read some posts that people got grumpy with the service and having sensors locked by the service. But perhaps the data disparity has to do with the low adoption in the US and neighbors that are too far and/or too few.

Well I just want to say that I like those comparison graphs. Too bad I can't choose exactly whom to compare to and whom not. It would be nice to have some nearby neighbor selection check boxes and then be able to hit the compare button thereby making a selective comparison.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:00:20 AM by galfert »
WS-2902A | ObserverIP | WeatherBridge (Meteobridge)
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Tele-Pole flag pole is here (not installed yet)

Offline dwhitemv

• KORJUNCT3
    • My PWS on Weather Underground
Re: AWEKAS - Great for neighbor data comparison but not popular in US
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:24:25 AM »
You can plot neighbors selectively using the Gladstone CWOP tools. It looks like your station FW3708 isn't showing up on Gladstone yet; have you completed the CWOP signup?

Once fully registered you can go to your Gladstone page:

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F3708

Click on any of the graphs to switch to qcharts mode, then scroll to the bottom of the page. Your neighbor stations will display with checkboxes next to them. Select the neighbors and press "Add to charts" and their data will display next to yours on all the charts on the page.

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »
Yes I only got on CWOP last week, and I've submitted to be registered and waiting on that to finalize. Thank you for the tip on selectively comparing to neighbors.

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »
In case anyone is reading this and learning about comparing to other CWOP stations I have another tip to compare yet more stations than the ones that are shown near you.

After you pull up your qchart page to compare to other stations listed below you can edit the address bar and add stations not listed.
Just append this to the end of the URL: 
&addnl=CXXXX    or DXXXX or EXXXX or FXXXX or an APRS Ham station or an airport METAR (make sure to use CAPS...it is case sensitive)

you can continue to do that for 2 or 3 or 4 stations. I don't know the limit of the graph. It worked for me for a handful of stations. I even added an airport METAR that was not listed near me but was still relatively close.

My nearby list had a lot of very near stations and I want to compare to one that just almost could have made the list if there had been fewer stations around me. This trick helped me compare to a station 9 miles away that looked good to me and I was curious to compare against. Everything in my default list was relatively close at 8 miles or less.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:43:59 PM by galfert »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
I used to send my data to AWEKAS, but I stopped when they wanted to charge me in order to use my own data. I don't think so...
It has been well over a year since I stopped sending my data. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31037

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »
AWEKAS does not charge me a penny. I think they may have at some point in the past tried to charge for some added features, but that was an optional program. I think you signed up for a trial and then the trial ended and they charged you. I think you could have continued with the regular AWEKAS service for free. Might be worth a second look.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:26:48 AM by galfert »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
I've been uploading to AWEKAS for many years and not had any issues https://www.awekas.at/en/qualcheck.php?selmode=0&id=6890  I do recall that they introduced some optional for-pay service a few years ago, which I didn't subscribe to.  I like their quick notification (reminder) if my data gets offline.

Enjoy,
Paul

Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
Envoy/USB DataLogger/Cumulus v.1.9.4   -   Vue Console/WiFiLogger
Komoka, ON  Canada
www.komokaweather.ca   www.komokaweather.com   www.komokaweather.com/weather28/   www.komokaweather.com/pws/index.php
Blitzortung Station #1076 www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung7/america/index.php?bo_page=statistics&bo_show=network&lang=en&bo_station_id=969

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »
Thank you for the reminder about their notification. I had been meaning to test it and forgot. I just turned off my upload to them and I'll know in 2 hours (lowest setting they have) if I get the notification or not. I'll check spam folder too and make changes to ensure inbox placement. Good way to alert me if my Meteobridge looses connectivity. I already have the Meteobridge alert me if it gets bad data but it can't alert me if it itself is down.

UPDATE: Yes, I got an alert email at almost exactly 2 hours from administration@awekas.at in case someone wants to whitelist in their email system. I didn't have to whitelist though.

I encourage people to sign up with AWEKAS. It is sparse compared to other networks but not desolate. I think it could benefit from some more good stations.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
AWEKAS Contiguous US (and parts of Canada) Map - Pretty much those are all the current stations with overlap on crowded areas. Put your station up there and it will let you do some neat comparison graphs with neighbors. But make sure your hardware is calibrated...I hear they can be strict.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:04:28 PM by galfert »

Offline galfert

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
I used to send my data to AWEKAS, but I stopped when they wanted to charge me in order to use my own data. I don't think so...
It has been well over a year since I stopped sending my data. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31037

Greg H.

I did a bit of digging and found this add-on product service that they sell called StationsWeb.
https://stationsweb.awekas.at/info/index_en.html

It looks to be like their own website template that you customize for you to use and publish over to your own website. This they charge 3.5 Euros/month. (~$4). This is not required to use AWEKAS free weather network.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:48:53 PM by galfert »

anything