Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 51479 times)

Offline havtrail

• Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
Why does it currently work fine on deprecated site? Just curious.
Sorry. I don't have any answer for that. I was testing current WU.
Maybe they used timestamp not from sample from WiFiLogger, but from WU system.

I believe this is true. My system reports very late to WU, and my observations over time have shown me that the WU "Last Updated...Ago" used to be based on the time that WU received the update (old system), and now (new system) is based on the timestamp of the data logging event on my PWS.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX3003 Cellular
https://weather.havtrail.com
WU KPAHAVER17

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher
Good morning from Central Illinois in the USA.  It is a brisk, sunny day on the prairie.

I have a couple of issues I think arise from the realtime.txt generated from the WFL. Attached you will see a pic of the data received. Attached below is a screenshot of the realtime.txt file which the WFL sent to my web site.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The data template for my site which is based off the Cumulus template processes this information in this array.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The template is looking at field 21 for the data for yesterday's total rain amount and it shows no data.

I then looked at the information on this site for the realtime.txt file and the data it is supposed to contain.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Me being new to this.  I assumed it would be the responsibility of the template to take the information it received from the realtime.txt files and create the totals on it's own, but apparently this is something the weather station already performs and she be outputted.

Can this be corrected?  Or is the data somewhere else in the file??

Thanks,
Rick
Rick

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
The template is looking at field 21 for the data for yesterday's total rain amount and it shows no data.
Hi Rick

Davis console don't contain such value. I have made realtime.txt because there are some templates for it, but it has a fields which console don't have.
My job is to transfer data from console to the Internet in convinient way, but I am not here to calculate, or approximate any weather value.

I can think about your problem, but it won't be easy. WiFiLogger is like a pipe, transfer and don't accumulate any data. Console is to accumulate data.
I could save in RAM yesterday rain, but WiFiLogger has right to reboot when it will be needed, even more than once per day.
So this value could work, but sometimes will be erased. So this is not very good method to solve this little problem.

About template I will start new thread about this, because I would like to produce template website to use with WiFiLogger.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Hi Rick

Davis console don't contain such value. I have made realtime.txt because there are some templates for it, but it has a fields which console don't have.
My job is to transfer data from console to the Internet in convinient way, but I am not here to calculate, or approximate any weather value.

I can think about your problem, but it won't be easy. WiFiLogger is like a pipe, transfer and don't accumulate any data. Console is to accumulate data.
I could save in RAM yesterday rain, but WiFiLogger has right to reboot when it will be needed, even more than once per day.
So this value could work, but sometimes will be erased. So this is not very good method to solve this little problem.

About template I will start new thread about this, because I would like to produce template website to use with WiFiLogger.

Other weather-programs such as Weastherlink.exe or Meteohub also has no yesterday data. Small and large templates can cope with that already for years.

There are  already two "look-a-like"  templates who can process realtime.txt.  So the WiFiLogger is already supported by both.
I will adapt my HWS-wd34 template to cope with that one missing item. No big deal.

It was a ""Tower of Babel" confusion as @medic29 used Cumulus as his weather-program.
If I had known before that he used WiFiLogger, I would have checked the supported fields in realtime.txt, as i did with Weewx  and WeatherCat.

Open questions:
The console normally delivers a "pressure-trend" or am I wrong?  I see only the ---
When there is no UV/Solar sensor those values are replaced with ---  or with 000  ?

Wim
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:10:36 PM by wvdkuil »
Support for Leuven-Template & Scripts  at this forum
Support for the HWS-template for WD a.o.  http://wd34.weather-template.com/
Script sponsors https://support.leuven-template.eu/userlistScripts.php
Template sponsors https://support.leuven-template.eu/userlist.php

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher

It was a ""Tower of Babel" confusion as @medic29 used Cumulus as his weather-program.
If I had known before that he used WiFiLogger, I would have checked the supported fields in realtime.txt, as i did with Weewx  and WeatherCat.

Open questions:
The console normally delivers a "pressure-trend" or am I wrong?  I see only the ---
When there is no UV/Solar sensor those values are replaced with ---  or with 000  ?

Wim

Sorry Wim,

I didn't see an area to show I was getting the data from the WFL.  I assumed (incorrectly it sounds) that the realtime.txt file generated by the WFL was the same as what was generated by Cumulus program.

My apologies.

Rick
Rick

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher

Wojciech, so the Davis console doesn't tally the rainfall amount per 24 hours?  It displays the amount on the screen; rather it displays the "storm" amount.  Also the monthly and annual amounts.  Is any of this data in the wlfex.json file??  Would that make it easier to obtain the data??  Just throwing stuff out there, not that I have any clue.  LOL

I appreciate all of the work you have and continue to put into the WFL.  It has been an incredible addition to my weather station.
Rick

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Wojciech, so the Davis console doesn't tally the rainfall amount per 24 hours?  It displays the amount on the screen; rather it displays the "storm" amount.  Also the monthly and annual amounts.  Is any of this data in the wlfex.json file??  Would that make it easier to obtain the data??  Just throwing stuff out there, not that I have any clue.

Is there some confusion creeping in here? The console has values for daily (midnight-to-midnight as the new daily total accumulates, but not a moving retrospective 24-hour total), monthly and annual rain and these values should be in the WFL realtime.txt (eg yearly rain in element 20 of the array (zero-based) but field 21 of the reaLtime listing (1-based)). It should also have a value for Bar trend.

The console does not have (easily accessible) values for some other parameters like yesterday's total, running 24hr rain (as distinct from storm rain, which has a separate definition) etc.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:09:27 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Littleport, Ely, Cambs UK

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Wojciech, so the Davis console doesn't tally the rainfall amount per 24 hours?  It displays the amount on the screen; rather it displays the "storm" amount.  Also the monthly and annual amounts.  Is any of this data in the wlfex.json file??  Would that make it easier to obtain the data??  Just throwing stuff out there, not that I have any clue.  LOL

I appreciate all of the work you have and continue to put into the WFL.  It has been an incredible addition to my weather station.

There is Daily rain, you can set clear moment: 0:00 or 9:00 am
24 hour rain
1 hour rain
Month rain
Year total.

All have been shown on WiFiLogger page like this: https://wifilogger.net/station/php/
This is small html page to show your wflexp.json
https://wifilogger.net/station/php/wflexp.json

realtime.txt has to be compatible with Cumulus data, because it is theirs own export file. Cumulus is on market for many years, that why there is many ready to go HTML pages to display weather. So I made file like this, but when there was no such data in Davis console, then I omit this value. So maybe there is about 30% lack of data, but this is better, than to put there not accurate data.
After that I have made wflexp.json to export all avaible data from console. This file contains real time data + hilows + some settings and logger and console info.
JSON because this is common internet transfer method with many libraries to use, PHP, JavaScript, .NET, Java etc.

I have also make mistake in this file and I don't know if I should repair that now.
I have used "---" because this is regular DATA NOT AVAIBLE indicator in Davis software.
JSON has "null" for that, no big difference, but libraries wants "null", not "---"

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
The HWS template is adapted for WiFilogger realtime.txt and in test at the beta test site
Tomorrow I generate a new beta-test version to be downloaded for beta-testing by users themselves.

The forthcoming normal release (July-release) will include Wifilogger support also

I hope I am allowed to use the wifilogger-logo as that saves me the hassle of making one myself

The next October release will include the json file, just need to check which fields to use.

Wim

P.S. The realtime data comes from a wifilogger owners site and is downloaded regularly
Downloading the data for the graphs will cost to much bandwidth,  I use my own  WU data for now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:02:39 AM by wvdkuil »
Support for Leuven-Template & Scripts  at this forum
Support for the HWS-template for WD a.o.  http://wd34.weather-template.com/
Script sponsors https://support.leuven-template.eu/userlistScripts.php
Template sponsors https://support.leuven-template.eu/userlist.php

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I hope I am allowed to use the wifilogger-logo as that saves me the hassle of making one myself
No problem with that. There is no copyrights on it.

I am thinking and thinking about custom MySQL scirpt and template for WiFiLogger. Maybe backend PHP script + your template is an answer.
I could order PHP script to accumulate data from WiFiLogger (Davis console) into MySQL.
- Real time data - 3 seconds (like rapidfire)
- HiLows - every 3-5 minutes with accumulating last day entry. 365 hilows per year for very nice statistic data.
- Archive records with charts. This besides on user. From 1 minute interval, up to 2 hour, but default is 30 minutes. In my opinion default should be 15 minutes.

From this MySQL you can take what you want. I have to know what is your needs, before order this PHP software.
My goal is to display for user all Davis data, including extra temp, hum, leaf, soil etc.
For regular data like outside temp, out hum, wind etc, there is a planty of services, one better from other.

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
No problem with that. There is no copyrights on it.

I am thinking and thinking about custom MySQL scirpt and template for WiFiLogger. Maybe backend PHP script + your template is an answer.
I could order PHP script to accumulate data from WiFiLogger (Davis console) into MySQL.
- Real time data - 3 seconds (like rapidfire)
- HiLows - every 3-5 minutes with accumulating last day entry. 365 hilows per year for very nice statistic data.
- Archive records with charts. This besides on user. From 1 minute interval, up to 2 hour, but default is 30 minutes. In my opinion default should be 15 minutes.

From this MySQL you can take what you want. I have to know what is your needs, before order this PHP software.
My goal is to display for user all Davis data, including extra temp, hum, leaf, soil etc.
For regular data like outside temp, out hum, wind etc, there is a planty of services, one better from other.

Love this idea!