Author Topic: Frustrated With GoDaddy Web Hosting  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
Frustrated With GoDaddy Web Hosting
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
I am at my wit's end with GoDaddy.  Not only do I get daily 404 errors, which upon a quick refresh seem to go away; at least once a month I get a 503 "site unavailable" error.  This will usually last 20 or 30 minutes and then it will finally rectify itself.  Maybe they're doing maintenance of some kind at that time but if that's the case there should be some kind of indication on their website. 

Last night at 11:35 p.m. PDT the FTP uploads quit working.  They have been down for OVER seven hours!  I called them at 4:30 a.m. PDT and they said that this was a known issue that they were working on.  If this was the first time I have had to call them about this it wouldn't be a big issue with me but I have had to call them about this very same issue at least 6 times.  It always takes several hours for them to figure out what the problem is.

Every time I have experienced any of the above issues, when I login to their site and click on web hosting it always says "your site is up and running with no issues", which makes me just say "yeah, right!".  Why can't they put a message up that they are aware of a problem and are working on it and prevent us from having to make a phone call?

My domain is through register.com and they have web hosting for only a dollar a month more than I am now paying with GoDaddy.  The only reason I went with GoDaddy in the first place is because at the time register.com was $13.99/mo. for a comparable package and GoDaddy was only $6.99.  I don't want to "jump out of the frying pan into the fire".  Has anyone else used register.com for hosting and had a positive experience? 

Is anyone else using GoDaddy and as frustrated as I am?  I hate to vent like this but after all of the problems that some of us have been having with VWS and WU this just makes me want to shut the whole thing down.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Frustrated With GoDaddy Web Hosting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
Hi Impala,

Several years ago I started with GoDaddy with my and domain name. I ran into the FTP issues almost immediately running Weather Display and uploading GR3radar pics. I switched to E-rice.net and did not have the FTP issues. From there in 2012 to the present I have been with ICDSoft. I have not had any issues from them at all, out of the ones of my own making. The longest I was down was about 6 hours when Superstorm/Hurricane Sandy hit the NE. Their data center is outside of Boston, MA. Their customer service is awesome. The longest I've to wait to get an issue resolved was 15 minutes. I also moved my domain name over to them as well.

Hope this helps,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »
I was getting FTP connection errors, 20-30 each day with Cumulus, but it stopped on 18th. Sure it will startup again. I've had issues for sure over the couple years I've been with them. What I've noticed is some servers are better than others so depends where your site is physically located what kind of issues you will have. I've had anywhere from slowness to ftp issues most eventually clear up.
What gets me is the few times I've tried to call for support they seem more interested in selling you something. Aggravating for sure. 
Randy

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
Happily, they didn't try to sell me anything this time.  I hate calling ANY support center for just that reason (besides being put on terminal hold or switched from one rep to another!).  :-x

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »
Just got off online chat support with them.  Apparently, there is a massive problem with their FTP service.  It's been down for over 8 hours.  The chat rep, Nix, was very helpful and let me know about their newest hosting service, Plesk.  Is anyone else using that?  It's more expensive on a month to month basis but the 1 to 3 year plans are much cheaper in the long run.  He said that it's a better platform and that I should not have the 404 and 503 errors I have been experiencing.  The FTP problems would be another story, I suspect.

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
    • Northwest Arkansas Weather.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
Hi Impala,

Several years ago I started with GoDaddy with my and domain name. I ran into the FTP issues almost immediately running Weather Display and uploading GR3radar pics. I switched to E-rice.net and did not have the FTP issues. From there in 2012 to the present I have been with ICDSoft. I have not had any issues from them at all, out of the ones of my own making. The longest I was down was about 6 hours when Superstorm/Hurricane Sandy hit the NE. Their data center is outside of Boston, MA. Their customer service is awesome. The longest I've to wait to get an issue resolved was 15 minutes. I also moved my domain name over to them as well.

Hope this helps,

John

I absolutely agree with John.

I was feed-up with my previous providers lack of knowledge of their own services. I researched this forum last summer and discovered a similar post where John shared his opinion about ICDSoft.

I signed up with ICDSoft & have never been happier with a group of folks who actually have knowledge & skills as to what they provide.

Thanks again, John.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Hardware: Davis 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with FARS
Software: VWS V15.00

Offline MahFL

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
GoDaddy is terrible, I had a domain with them and I just gave up on them. I also got stung by an auto renewal, which I guess I can put down to experience...

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:00:47 PM »
After a couple of years of no problems with them I started having ftp issues with them that progressively got worse.  I dumped Go Daddy, because of those constant ftp errors.  Trying to work with their customer support ranged from terrible to incompetent. 
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »
One word ...  ICDSoft.

Been there for probably 10 years.  I'm not really using the site for much of anything anymore other than email, some picture and file hosting and some testing when I  want to try something, but I can't remember any extended downtime .... ever.

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
Update:  It's been over 18 hours and it's still not working!  Made contact with them—again—this afternoon.  The rep told me that it is "a known issue that they are still working on.  There is NO ETA to give you at this time".  Seriously?  Over 18 hours and still not fixed?  No ETA?  This really does not look good for them.   ](*,)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:59:37 PM by Impala88 »

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
Update:  As of c. 6:30 a.m. PDT 3/23/2017 it still was not working.  I had been manually updating my site using GoDaddy's File Manager but at that time even that gave me errors.  In frustration, I took to Twitter and tweeted to @GoDaddyHelp about my issues.  I then was able to login to the online chat on their website.  As I was waiting in the queue, I tried manually updating my site.  What a surprise, it suddenly worked. 

After my turn came up I vented my frustration of nearly 31 hours of not being able to FTP to my site.  After a few minutes of conversation I noticed my FTP uploads had started working.  I asked the rep if a server that had been down was just put online or if he had noticed something and fixed it but he would not say.  What he did say that was "a ticket had been submitted about a customer not being able to connect" and that it had been resolved last night!  If so, why did I need to make yet another contact with customer service?  Ugh! 

Well, at least it's working now.  The fact that it took TWO days and four instances of contact plus the power of Twitter to get their asses in gear motivates me to download all of my files from them in order to move web hosting to another provider.  I sincerely think that the right hand has no clue as to what the left hand is doing as far as they are concerned.   #-o

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
I've been enjoying the friendly and knowledgeable support of GoDaddy for at least 10 years.  I had 5 sites and 12 domain names through GD.  Recently, I decided it was time to scrub clean and re-build my wx site.  I'm re-organizing the site features.  I got good advice in what to erase and what files to keep for the re-build. 
They call me asking if I have any problems, and of course try to sell a new option.  I get special discounts being a long time customer.  One domain cost only 18 cents for the first year.  I know that expert customer aid GD is just a call. 
Many years ago before I went to GD, the host only had 2 - 3 days response to email help with no human aid whatever. 
Praises to GoDaddy!
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 08:50:06 AM »
I am more than pleased to have Hostmonster.   I get immediate help when I need it, and a lot of help is available. A tad bit more but I get more back as well.   No outages, no nasty thing thrown in my direction by them.  If there is a planned outage, I get information in advance,  if something isn't working, I get a notification and if I panic and either call or email them at 1 in the morning on a Saturday , I get a human right now.

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 02:18:56 AM »
I've been enjoying the friendly and knowledgeable support of GoDaddy for at least 10 years.  I had 5 sites and 12 domain names through GD.  Recently, I decided it was time to scrub clean and re-build my wx site.  I'm re-organizing the site features.  I got good advice in what to erase and what files to keep for the re-build. 
They call me asking if I have any problems, and of course try to sell a new option.  I get special discounts being a long time customer.  One domain cost only 18 cents for the first year.  I know that expert customer aid GD is just a call. 
Many years ago before I went to GD, the host only had 2 - 3 days response to email help with no human aid whatever. 
Praises to GoDaddy!

It's nice to hear you've had no issues with them. I wish i could say the same.  What platform are you using, may I ask?  I was told by one of their reps that I am on their oldest platform and that their newest one, Plesk, works much better. If that would get rid of these pesky 404 and 503 errors I am constantly encountering that would be great.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
I have had some frustrations with GoDaddy but then long periods when everything is great.  And their telephone support is usually pretty good and always available, even though sometimes the wait can be close to 10 minutes.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Not bad enough for me to leave, I've had worse and its such a pain moving. I also go long stretches with no problems. They are so big and have so many servers everyone probably has different experiences.
Randy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »
I just recently switched from the classic Linux hosting to the CPanel hosting.  I got a decent deal to re-up my shared hosting plan.  But after switching, I had PHP version issues.  They were absolutely no help there.  With the help of another forum member, I did get it figured out.  But I think when my plan is due, I will be shopping the ICD option.

BTW, I never had an issue with FTP on the old plan or the new plan.  Knock on wood...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI