Author Topic: New sensor/shield for weather station  (Read 5378 times)

Offline djwiktor

New sensor/shield for weather station
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

Hello all , I am new here, I was observing this forum longer time, and I would like to ask for maybe a help.

I am having my quite old weather station running for few years already and the sensors have been already few times exchanged or repaired, thus I am planning a new station on higher level. 
Till now I was using a logger from Campbell and RS485 temperature sensor, because I needed to measure on a more distant location, but I had not power there.  These were quite reliable, but after years they tend to have a big drift and/or offset. So what I was planning was to keep the logger itself, but exchange the peripherals.

I am already browsing web few weeks, and found out few sensors from Rotronic and Vaisala which could pass and meet my requirements for measurement stability for longterm measuring. But the pricing is really a deal :(

Anyhow, I have also found sensors from company Barani, like this MeteoTemp  which seems to be based on parameters shown quite good with a good price ( I found probably their distributor or eshop or what, but what for me is interesting, they offer a bundle of radiation shield and sensor for a reasonable price). 

Do you guys have any experience with this company ?  I have listed out the patent for their radiation shield MeteoShield and it looks to me as a possible way to go.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
Re: New sensor/shield for weather station
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Mauro from Italy
Next week I will receive a Meteoshield, I will test with Sensorpush compared to my davis vp2 standard and another ten plates Davis screen with another sensorpush
If you are interested I will make a first review regarding unboxing, design choices, detailed images, accessories etc
in next weeks I will post the result of comparision

sorry for my english ;(
bye
Mauro

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »
Hello Mauro,

thanks for posting.  I will wait for your review :)
And your English looks fine :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
Meteoshield looks neat - but Euro 330??  Ouch.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
Official price I have got from Barani, is 200€ for MeteoShield.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
The price is correct, 200 euro plus shipping ;)

Inviato dal mio SM-G903F utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »
I've always been under impression for a passive shield the Davis 7714 was considered one of the best. Better than the VP2 passive for sure.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7714-passive-radiation-shield/
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
I've always been under impression for a passive shield the Davis 7714 was considered one of the best. Better than the VP2 passive for sure.

Of course! Dw7714 is the best amatorial radiation shield, meteoshield is a professional radiation shield, like caimpbell, vaisala, rmyoung etc

Inviato dal mio SM-G903F utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »

For the shield alone, correct?  The 330 E included the temperature probe.  Still a lot of money.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »

Yes, you do not want a 24hr or DFARS VP2 without a fan for daytime use as it's not designed to be passive, to restrictive for even breezy conditions. The 7714 is much better suited/designed to be passive.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »

Yes, you do not want a 24hr or DFARS VP2 without a fan for daytime use as it's not designed to be passive, to restrictive for even breezy conditions. The 7714 is much better suited/designed to be passive.

True if you remember my testing the passive VP2 shield did poorly without a fan. Wish i would of tested the 7714 but never did because it can't be converted as easily into a FARS so it would of been a wasted purchase.
Randy

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 01:39:20 AM »

For the shield alone, correct?  The 330 E included the temperature probe.  Still a lot of money.

By taking into account, that my last Rotronik shield with shitty parameters (>1°C deviation in low wind conditions) and rotronik temperature/humidity probe ( without pressure) cost me round 700€,  then the price from Barani, for 420€ for the shield and sensor as a bundle, looks good to me.  The probably distributor mentioned in the first post is not official distributor of Barani.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »
You live in an expensive world.  The shield/sensor is the same price as a full Davis suite of instruments here.

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
Yes, I understand.  But I have already enough of hoping that the measured values are correct.  :)  Therefore I have decided to go to a more professional solution what IMHO Davis is not.  Just to mention, the MeteoTemp claims to be WMO compliant after calibration, what is a big + for me, as cheap sensors and stations have longterm drift and cannot be further calibrated in future.  But MeteoTemp can be recalibrated ( either by professional accredited lab, or by user himself).

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
Yes, I understand.  But I have already enough of hoping that the measured values are correct.  :)  Therefore I have decided to go to a more professional solution what IMHO Davis is not.  Just to mention, the MeteoTemp claims to be WMO compliant after calibration, what is a big + for me, as cheap sensors and stations have longterm drift and cannot be further calibrated in future.  But MeteoTemp can be recalibrated ( either by professional accredited lab, or by user himself).

You must not know much about Davis and the sensor Sensirion SHT-31 Hum/Temp they currently install on all VP2's. I'll put it against any WMO sensor any day.  The SHT-31 doesn't have much drift if you read the specs and BTW can be replaced for an affordable price.

If accuracy is a concern for $200 you can have all instruments NIST traceable certified. http://www.davisnet.com/product/nist-traceable-multi-sensor-package/

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/NIST_Traceable_Sensors.pdf

Have fun with MetroTemp.
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
Meteoshield arrived today, very good material and assembling, very hard to disassembling for to insert my sensorpush, I will make a first review in next days,
bye
Mauro
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

I totally agree with you, few days ago  I've asked to Mr Barani to work on a datalogger with these specification:
waterproof
variable sampling interval
usb and bluetooth ble connection
waterproof connector for Meteotemp
ios and android app
software for mac, windows and linux
they are very interested, datalogger+Meteotemp+Meteoshield = my peace of mind  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:12:17 PM by mauro63 »

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »

Today comparision, about 940 values, sunny day but with good natural ventilation, please note the overestimation of Davis ten plates against Meteoshield in the middle of the day, during the night the values are about identical
please, forgive my english  :sad:

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 04:14:27 AM »
Hello Mauro,

thank you for posting the data. 

I have also bought a shield and probe from Barani, and from first month of testing, especially with last 2 weeks of very hot and without wind weather, I can say, that I am throwing the Rotronik probe and shield immediately to trash. The difference at highest temperature with no wind reached 1,21°C !!
Tmax rotronik - 35,27°C   /  Tmax MeteoShield - 34,06°C.    all of this by windspeed 0m/s for more than 15 minutes.   

That says for itself. In addition, I have also now checked a new US Barani webpage post about what they made - they just painted one shield completely black !  :shock:  just ot see maximum error  - https://www.allmeteo.com/maximum-radiation-shield-error/     those results look very impressive to me.

From my side, I believe that buying the MeteoShield from Barani was a good hit for me.  I will consider buying also the Anemometer MeteoWind.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »
Hello Mauro,

thank you for posting the data. 

I have also bought a shield and probe from Barani, and from first month of testing, especially with last 2 weeks of very hot and without wind weather, I can say, that I am throwing the Rotronik probe and shield immediately to trash. The difference at highest temperature with no wind reached 1,21°C !!
Tmax rotronik - 35,27°C   /  Tmax MeteoShield - 34,06°C.    all of this by windspeed 0m/s for more than 15 minutes.   

That says for itself. In addition, I have also now checked a new US Barani webpage post about what they made - they just painted one shield completely black !  :shock:  just ot see maximum error  - https://www.allmeteo.com/maximum-radiation-shield-error/     those results look very impressive to me.

From my side, I believe that buying the MeteoShield from Barani was a good hit for me.  I will consider buying also the Anemometer MeteoWind.

I think I can give to you and to all a great news
Barani is preparing a new Meteoshield, I think will be called Meteoshield Lite, same structure of meteoshield but with bigger internal dimension, I think will be possible to insert sensor like Oregon Scientific or some Lacrosse, the cost will be very interesting
I had cooperate with Barani explaining what need a meteorological passionate, and not a professional user
I think to give you more information during this month but if you want to deep in, you can check the new Usa Barani site
[urlhttps://www.allmeteo.com/][/url]

please forgive me for my english

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
I think the METEOSHIELD LITE version could be popular with Davis Instrument owners if test reports of rivaling aspirated Davis shield are correct. Problem is most aren't changing weather stations just for a shield so the SHT31 would need to fit.

The Davis SHT31 size is here. Does anyone here know if shield could be modified easily?  Regular or lite version.

Lite version when it comes out $120, the regular version on sale currently for $160 here.  https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/solar-radiation-shield-for-weather-station
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 05:20:42 PM »
I sent an email to Jan Barani who gave me MeteoShield quote asking about possible modification. These would sell like hotcakes if shield was really as good as the Davis Fars and modified for Davis sensor.
Randy

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
That sound very fine, and I think also it will bring attention to many customers, as so far I have seen, lot of people use Davis stations.   Lets see. 
So far, I am still testing the MeteoShield, but I am very very satisfied with it. I will be preparing another station by my friend, and the clue on which shield to use is clear - MeteoShield.  So I have to buy another one :)

Anyhow, I have got information, that there will be some study for winter albedo , where this MeteoShield performed very well, on a level of aspirated shields .   So I am very excited to see this study. 

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »

Most likely, the MeteoTemp probe is the Sensirion SHT-75. But we now know that the way Davis mounts their SHT-31 sensor on the pcb board, it causes wet humidity biases.

You must not know much about Davis and the sensor Sensirion SHT-31 Hum/Temp they currently install on all VP2's. I'll put it against any WMO sensor any day.  The SHT-31 doesn't have much drift if you read the specs and BTW can be replaced for an affordable price.

If accuracy is a concern for $200 you can have all instruments NIST traceable certified. http://www.davisnet.com/product/nist-traceable-multi-sensor-package/

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/NIST_Traceable_Sensors.pdf

Have fun with MetroTemp.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 07:00:43 AM »
Hi Jgentry,

I am not using Davis, I had it for few months borrowed from my friend, and to say it right, I was not very satisfied with it. Humidity difference in comparison to calibrated mirror sensor in average about 2.8% with peak of 4.5% after 2 rainy days. In addition, temperature shown by davis was everyday higher by 0.5-0.7°C than MeteoTemp with MeteoShield Professional.
MeteoTemp uses SHT25 in current version and will be released next year with another more precious and even more accurate sensor than SHT. In addition, it provides me with pressure and dew point/frost point, as well as option to anytime recalibrate the sensor in any accredited lab.

SHT itself is only good if you do further correlation, since they have a big variation in sensors at sensirions side, especially low and very high humidity causes issues and shows a quite big change in accuracy.

Since I am very satisfied with MeteoTemp in combination with MeteoShield, I am already waiting until Barani Design releases to market their Professional Micro-weather station : https://www.baranidesign.com/meteohelix-pro-weather-station/    I have contacted me with one of their test customers, who says it is the best price/quality product which will be on the market and who is using it as test device for more than 4 months already.

As last, so far I got information from Mr. Barani, they will be also releasing a MeteoShield Standard for enhancement of NetAtmo outdoor units in short time. 

anything