Author Topic: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition  (Read 14331 times)

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
Re: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »
That was a "close one" ...   :grin:
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
I've added the 'Caribbean/Atlantic' section of the GOES East Image Viewer to the 'Preliminary' Script.

You can get the updated script here.

The Stand Alone version displays some larger images that are quite detailed.  Believe it or not, there are even higher resolution images (2000x2000px and 4000x4000px) available in the 'Caribbean/Atlantic' regions!  These display well individually, but aren't at all candidates for the HAniS looping script.  I may add links to them in my script later.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »
Really clear resolution! This will be nice to have for the next hurricane season ...
Jeff

Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
Jerry, what specific files need updating from the new release for stand alone pages?
No need to replace everything is there?
Severe Weather Manager-Vermilion County EMA
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »
Jerry, what specific files need updating from the new release for stand alone pages?
No need to replace everything is there?
There are significant changes to all files, so all of the files in the zip except the HAniS directory need to be replaced.

Thanks for asking, and I'm sorry I didn't clarify that before.

I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes.  I just realized that in the Contiguous 48 States' views the blue line that precedes or follows the terminator represents the transition from or to night IR and daylight.  There is slight dimming of the area just behind in the morning or ahead in the evening of the blue line as the transition occurs.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:50:39 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
Looks good Jerry. Thank you!  \:D/
Jeff

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 02:17:48 AM »
There are two more animations available, Full Hemispheric Disk, and Continental US.  Also there may have been problems with the Stand Alone version I posted yesterday.  This version seems to display the correct image sizes in SA.

As usual, replace all of the files on your server.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »
Jerry,

What changes need to be made to bring the "iframe-breezy" version up to date with your latest code?
Jeff

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 08:33:15 AM »
Jerry,

What changes need to be made to bring the "iframe-breezy" version up to date with your latest code?
There's really not much benefit to doing that because if you're still going to display your US regional sector nothing will change.  Only if you want to display a different sector will there be any benefit from updating your script.

However, the technique is to search for '$Breezy' in "iframe-breezy" and add back those items you find in exactly the same location in the new "iframe".  Then to allow for the selection of any $sector add this:
Code: [Select]
if ($Breezy) {
$imageWidth = 300;
$iframeWidth = 320;
$iframeHeight = 240;
}
at line 174 to look like this:
else if ($sector=="FD") {
$imageWidth = ($standAlone?678:339); // For Saratoga Narrow
// $imageWidth = ($standAlone?1808:678); // For Saratoga Wide
$imageHeight = $imageWidth;
}
if ($Breezy) {
$imageWidth = 300;
$iframeWidth = 320;
$iframeHeight = 240;
}

?>
before saving it as an updated "iframe-breezy".

That's the procedure I followed for this file whose source is here.

I'm not sure you've noticed, but this is a Procrustean script modification that shoehorns the images into a 300x200px rectangle regardless of the dimensions of the original image.  I guess it's something that only a purist would mind... :-)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:37:48 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »
I'll remain with the regional view as it will be easier going forward. Both the "FD" and "CONUS" look really nice but
would be reduced in size within the iframe.

Thanks for the code in case I decide to attempt to modify it.  :grin:
Jeff

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
Jerry, is this meant to display on the page (in the inc- script)...

<?php  echo '$imageWidth: '.$imageWidth.', $imageHeight: '.$imageHeight.', $iframeWidth: '.$iframeWidth.', $iframeHeight: '.$iframeHeight.', $standAlone: '.($standAlone==true?'true':'false').'<br/>'// Debug Code ?>
...or is it part of what you're working on?

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2018, 11:23:55 AM »
Jerry, is this meant to display on the page (in the inc- script)...

<?php  echo '$imageWidth: '.$imageWidth.', $imageHeight: '.$imageHeight.', $iframeWidth: '.$iframeWidth.', $iframeHeight: '.$iframeHeight.', $standAlone: '.($standAlone==true?'true':'false').'<br/>'// Debug Code ?>
...or is it part of what you're working on?

Thanks.
Sorry about that, John. :oops:  It's a leftover from when I was trying to figure out why my '$_POST' of '$sector' wasn't being detected by the iframe script and incorrect image sizes were displaying in the Saratoga-template version and the SA version.  This problem wasted several days (and nights) ](*,), and I think it just boiled down to a flaky browser cache.  It disappeared after I replaced all of the '$_POST's with '$_GET's, running the script, (makes no sense as code or as a solution, I agree) and then changing back to '$_POST's.

Corrected version and zip uploaded.  Thanks for calling this to my attention.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
No worries, Jerry. It's been a while since I picked on you - figured it was time to catch up!

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 03:15:24 PM »
Today I've added some more links to individual higher resolution images, where they exist, in the Preliminary GOES16 HAniSLoops scripts.  I've also corrected a logical error in the iframe script that would only have affected the script's output for a few hours after midnight GMT on December 31.

Again, replace all three scripts from the zip available here.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »
The Preliminary GOES16 script came up empty this morning!  A quick look at the situation revealed that instead of using 'gmdate("i")+1' as the day of the year, they had changed to the more universal 'gmdate("i")', i.e. using '036' as today's day of year instead of '037'.  Looking for '037' as the DOY meant that all of the images weren't found by the iframe script, so it came up empty.

A revised unchanged iframe is included in the newly posted zip, which is the only revised script unchanged in the zip.  You can download the unchanged iframe script directly here if you prefer.

ALERT/EDIT 6 Feb 2018 11:45 CST:  They have reverted to 'gmdate("i")+1' to identify the day of the year, thus eliminating '000' in favor of '001' as January 1st.  No changes are needed to the iframe script.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:45:58 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Change to the new iframe script but still blank here (SA version).

With the many changes and this is still an evolving script, can I suggest that at the top of each script page, that a version number be placed to make sure users are using the latest. Could help a lot with troubleshooting.
Severe Weather Manager-Vermilion County EMA
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 08:25:26 AM »
Change to the new iframe script but still blank here (SA version).

With the many changes and this is still an evolving script, can I suggest that at the top of each script page, that a version number be placed to make sure users are using the latest. Could help a lot with troubleshooting.
Not sure why, but the error on the console is 'Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)' on the iframe.  Where did it go?  Loading it directly doesn't work either, and it should.

The date at the top of each script is the version number.  That only changed today for the iframe script.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:32:27 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »
Working fine here, Jerry. I have 20 images and green squares. http://tiggrweather.net/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
Well...they just reverted to 'gmdate("i")+1' which means that there are currently missing images from 22:07 GMT 5 Feb to 14:56 GMT 6 Feb on the cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16 site.  The gap will rotate off after several days, but for now reverting back to the previous iframe script is what's needed.  Or you can go with the revised 20180205b version in the zip or downloadable as above.  Remember, they did say these are preliminary images. :-)

I think they realized why they used 001 for the first day of the year rather than 000!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
Couple of question concerning this script. I uploaded wxGoes16-HAnisloops.php and wxGoes16-HAnisloops-iframe.php and changed the region to my area. The script seems to work fine. I am using the saratoga template.

1. I did not load any thing from the Hanis.10 directory, was I supposed to upload those files also?

2. There is no time stamp on the loop that loads, so I have no idea if I have a current loop or not. Should there me a time stamp? or do the green squares indicate current files?

Thanks,

John
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »
Couple of question concerning this script. I uploaded wxGoes16-HAnisloops.php and wxGoes16-HAnisloops-iframe.php and changed the region to my area. The script seems to work fine. I am using the saratoga template.

1. I did not load any thing from the Hanis.10 directory, was I supposed to upload those files also?
Apparently you already have a version of HAniS installed that supports the green-red-orange squares?  The HAniS.10 directory is included for those who are just wandering into the HAniS scripts.
2. There is no time stamp on the loop that loads, so I have no idea if I have a current loop or not. Should there me a time stamp? or do the green squares indicate current files?

Thanks,

John
Unfortunately the NOAA GOES16 site hasn't time-stamped any of these images.  You are correct in assuming that the green squares represent current images.  That's why I've included an image/hour statement at the bottom, so viewers can get some idea about when the images were taken/assembled.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »

Apparently you already have a version of HAniS installed that supports the green-red-orange squares?  The HAniS.10 directory is included for those who are just wandering into the HAniS scripts.

Thanks,

John
Unfortunately the NOAA GOES16 site hasn't time-stamped any of these images.  You are correct in assuming that the green squares represent current images.  That's why I've included an image/hour statement at the bottom, so viewers can get some idea about when the images were taken/assembled.

Thanks Jerry. I also updated my Hanis folder to the current files.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
Once again this morning these preliminary GOES16 images are being produced in fits and starts.

Also, my logic for displaying any $satBand (satellite band) other than 'GEOCOLOR' is seriously flawed.  So, until I have a chance to thoroughly iron out the problems I've created with bands '01' through '16' the currently available zip has disabled any attempt to display a band other than 'GEOCOLOR'.  Besides, this is the band that's of interest to the vast majority of viewers.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
I think I've solved the problems I was having with the GOES16 Script.  Rather than using a string of 'if else' statements I created an array of arrays for the dimensions of the images, so the script then just reference the appropriate dimensions within the arrays.  I also resolved the issue with varying, mostly missing display of $satBands other than 'GEOCOLOR': I was placing an extra '0'  before bands 1 through 9 which resulted in universal 'not found' errors for these images.  Since omitting the $satBand-switching-dropdown was easy, I've made it an option via a '$noBandChange' switch in the settings.  It's currently set to false.

You can find the script's zip here, which also has a link to View the script on my site.  Replace all four scripts after preserving your customizations in the main and SA scripts.  (Again, the HAniS 4.10 directory is included only for completeness.)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline mikeym2m

• Senior Contributor
    • MikeyM's Thornhurst PA Weather
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »
Thanks Jerry

:grin:

MikeyM