Author Topic: Envoy 8x and MS Access  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Envoy 8x and MS Access
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
I am getting ready to use the database I have been compiling with my Envoy 8x with my MS access.  I notice that there are no decimal points in the database.   If I export to Excel, I have them, but with Access not. 

Any solutions, Ideas or whatever...  I can't afford Mysql, so access it has to be.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Envoy 8x and MS Access
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »
MySql is free.  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/  You can force MSA to do the decimal thing, but as a db it well, sucks.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »
MySql is free.  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/  You can force MSA to do the decimal thing, but as a db it well, sucks.

Would you like to qualify that ridiculously sweeping statement?

Access has its flaws, but the fact that it has survived (and continues to be updated by Microsoft), with a huge base of users and programmers, when the great majority of low- to mid-end database managers which have surfaced in the last 20 years have faded away, suggests that it may be you who are out of step. To compare Access with MySQL (an excellent DBMS, in its place) in the database context, is like comparing Visual Studio with the combination of Notepad and a command line compiler in the context of program development. Access combines an integrated development environment with a competent relational database manager. It includes powerful Wysiwyg tools to create forms, reports, and queries, and allows the skilled programmer to add complex code to these to produce complete standalone Applications, usable by people with minimal computer skills.

MySQL is certainly a competent database management system. I have used it in many of the websites I design and manage. However, by default it isn't even fully relational, and I would challenge anyone without a reasonable level of understanding of programming and database theory to use it effectively to manage real-world data.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
I am getting ready to use the database I have been compiling with my Envoy 8x with my MS access.  I notice that there are no decimal points in the database.   If I export to Excel, I have them, but with Access not. 

Any solutions, Ideas or whatever...  I can't afford Mysql, so access it has to be.

What does the Envoy data look like (could you upload a reasonable sized example)? If it is in one of the many formats that Access can deal with, and I assume that it is, getting decimal points in the right place should be easy.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
I'm not going to get into a whizzer over this, but look into MS Access security, VBA, cross-platform and extensibility issues.  If I had a dollar for every failed MS Access database that I've had to redesign/reengineer...   :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »

What does the Envoy data look like (could you upload a reasonable sized example)? If it is in one of the many formats that Access can deal with, and I assume that it is, getting decimal points in the right place should be easy.

5280 records

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
I think I have asked the wrong people the question.  The problem is with the Envoy8x transfer utility.  I have used MSAccess before and it is fine, if you know what you are doing.   I am going to send the question to Davis and see what they say.   

Please no one further comment on this thing,  you folks don't have solutions, only opinions.  Thank God I didn't ask about the wisdom of using teflon spray to knock out a wasps nest.   I did that already, killed them deader than a dead wasp.