Author Topic: Blitzortung vs. Vaisala Lightning Explorer  (Read 1686 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Blitzortung vs. Vaisala Lightning Explorer
« on: June 11, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
I just checked the Vaisala "Free Lightning Explorer" page vs. Blitzortung. Our little network is giving some impressive results now. It still could be a little better out West, but it compares very well now. A big improvement over when I first started over a year ago.

Thanks to all of the new participants that are enhancing the network. Keep on Blitzen!  UU

Vaisala Free Lightning Explorer http://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/explorer.html

Greg H

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
Re: Blitzortung vs. Vaisala Lightning Explorer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Vaisala's is based upon the national lightning detection network, as I recall (NLDN).  In several places in the U.S., Blitzortung's network has higher station density, though the NLDN makes use both of time of arrival and direction finding.

The biggest advance to come for the Blitzortung network, I think (aside from greater station density), will be separate interference levels for E- and H-field detection.  Once we have greater station density, it won't be as big a deal if a storm rolls right over a station and takes it into interference mode.

As it is, I'm "riding herd" on my station to keep it out of interference mode as severe storms are rolling in from Virginia.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
Thanks for the link, it's nice to have the comparison.  What I really like with Lightningmaps.org is the ability to see the stations that contribute data for each strike and the fact that it is virtually real-time!  I was just checking it out and with the very active storms over central Texas it sounded like several people walking across a floor covered in bubble-wrap :D
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
Thanks for the link, it's nice to have the comparison.  What I really like with Lightningmaps.org is the ability to see the stations that contribute data for each strike and the fact that it is virtually real-time!  I was just checking it out and with the very active storms over central Texas it sounded like several people walking across a floor covered in bubble-wrap :D

There is a bubble-wrap emulator from Japan. They call the sound puchipuchi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugen_Puchipuchi
http://www.asovision.com/putiputi/

I had one of these, but I must have misplaced it during our move. It might be good on a slow lightning day.... :lol:

Greg H

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF