Author Topic: Ah the advantages of a Webcam  (Read 258 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
Ah the advantages of a Webcam
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
I have a web cam in my North window so I can see what the dog is barking at.  Anyway, it happened to be on when the city sweepers came by and I came up with the captions  "We are going to get you and your little dog too, Toto"  or how dare you have your dog take a dump in my yard.

Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp  https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Catalina
; Webcam;

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Ah the advantages of a Webcam
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
Mine has already helped catch one thief that broke into a house4 in our neighborhood, and caught someone else taking packages off of peoples front porches.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
they do help.   The baggie the guy is carrying has dog poop in it. City law we have to pick up the shit of the dog and take it with us. not a bad idea,  oh.. same with cats.  I did see this guy with his cat on a leash, I bet that walk took forever.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp  https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Catalina
; Webcam;

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
I did see this guy with his cat on a leash, I bet that walk took forever.

I'm sure the cat walked his guy as long as he wanted to.   8-)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
I did see this guy with his cat on a leash, I bet that walk took forever.

I'm sure the cat walked his guy as long as he wanted to.   8-)

Dogs have owners......Cats have staff....

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Mine has already helped catch one thief that broke into a house4 in our neighborhood, and caught someone else taking packages off of peoples front porches.

Mine just came in handy with an UPS delivery while I was in ABQ on Tuesday. First time in 7 years here that I ever had a driver leave it on TOP of the wall instead of dropping it over the wall or padlocked gate.

When asked by his supervisor why, he said it was too heavy. It was UPS weighed at 11 pounds...

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
It depends on the driver of the truck.  There is this one driver that knows me and always puts things by the back door, yet I think he is on vacation now. The new one puts stuff by the front door.  I don't enter by that door.  If we didn't have a front door that would be fine. The mail box is by the back door.

Anyway what I have been doing of late, is to be going to the shipping site, either UPS , FEDEX, USPS  and requesting a delivery notice to be sent to my home computer and my cell phone, so I know when to expect it and if it has been delivered.

I recall years ago, I had a package misdelivered two blocks away.  I didn't get the product, so after tracking it down and contacting UPS many times and ranting and raving, I found that the driver couldn't find the house so instead of taking it to the  depot,  just put it on the first step he felt like stopping at.

I doubt he is working for UPS now. They are very particular on how things are done.

But the camera does help a lot.   I am not seeing that ADT who we have our home alarm with, now has incorporated security systems with cameras into their packages, with the smartphone connection for a reasonable price.  I opted out of that  when they replaced the guts of my system with an update yesterday. Something I don't need.  I have 4 wired cameras to a recording DVR as well as the IP cameras that I can see anywhere .

If I were building a new home, definitely something for one to consider having in the house and perimeter.   My project for next year is to put an IP camera outside,  going to need to run some conduit, but it is too cold for me to do that now.

; Webcam;

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
It depends on the driver of the truck.  There is this one driver that knows me and always puts things by the back door, yet I think he is on vacation now. The new one puts stuff by the front door.  I don't enter by that door.  If we didn't have a front door that would be fine. The mail box is by the back door.

I used to have one standard driver. Then two, then three. Now, it's whoever pulls the route and I've seen 3 or more different ones on the same day in the area. The town's growing, I guess.

I would always try to meet them at the gate and we would get to know each other as well as them knowing my preference. Thru a few emails with UPS, I now have my address flagged as a "Please leave over the wall" type of thing. We'll see how that works out.

What was funny (and aggravating at the same time) about that delivery was it was the first time I wasn't here to receive an expected delivery.  ](*,)

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

anything