Author Topic: Blitzortung Documentation & Build Instructions -REVISED Oct 13, 2014 5:04 pm PT  (Read 79296 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 19, 2014 9:46 pm PDT
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2014, 12:39:25 AM »
Here is a link to my latest step-by-step instructions for the new E-Field Kit. I have also included links to the docs for inventorying the new kit.

These links are also posted in the first post in this thread. All updates made to the files will noted in the first post of the thread.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 19, 2014 9:46 pm PDT
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2014, 06:49:08 AM »
Here is a link to my latest step-by-step instructions for the new E-Field Kit. I have also included links to the docs for inventorying the new kit.

These links are also posted in the first post in this thread. All updates made to the files will noted in the first post of the thread.

Perfect timing for me Don. My E-Field kit was shipped about a week ago, should be here any day now.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 22, 2014 9:18 pm PDT
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
IMPORTANT:
CAREFUL
with your Female F Connectors!  2 of us early builders have had them come apart! The 'connector' appears to press into the housing, and it appears it takes little effort to separate them! Now you'll have a poor or intermittent ground on the coax!... or a dead preamp.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 22, 2014 9:18 pm PDT
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
IMPORTANT:
CAREFUL
with your Female F Connectors!  2 of us early builders have had them come apart! The 'connector' appears to press into the housing, and it appears it takes little effort to separate them! Now you'll have a poor or intermittent ground on the coax!... or a dead preamp.

Thanks Mike! I have updated the E-field Kit Instructions to include a note about this issue. You'll find it on page 10 of the latest revision of the document.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 24, 2014 12:51 pm PDT
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Don,
I was reading your notes and getting ready to heat the iron after all the cemetery visiting is done, and last night I found on page 7, under 2) Diodes on the last line before the D1 check box the statement to NOT solder until all FOUR diodes have been inserted.  Is this really TWO diodes, D1 and D2?

Picky, but if it really is two and it says four it makes people like me go a little crazy looking for the other two diodes!

Dale
PS, your effort with this document is really invaluable to get ready and laid out.
The ONLY thing that would be helpful is on the page listing the components is to have the resister values followed by the color code, since for initial sort that might help.  Yes, I do hit them with a tester but with meg sized loads my meter chokes.  (and not on the inductors, either!)  The color pictures of the separated components do help a lot, but I can't zoom in enough to check the color bands.

And the simple answer is to just meter every one, I realize.  Thanks for listening. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Yes, only two signal diodes...

What? Your Resistors have colored bands?  You lucky dog... . 

We all nearly went blind and stark raving crazy on the first Red kits... so we're used to basic b&w .

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
Don,
I was reading your notes and getting ready to heat the iron after all the cemetery visiting is done, and last night I found on page 7, under 2) Diodes on the last line before the D1 check box the statement to NOT solder until all FOUR diodes have been inserted.  Is this really TWO diodes, D1 and D2?

Picky, but if it really is two and it says four it makes people like me go a little crazy looking for the other two diodes!

Dale
PS, your effort with this document is really invaluable to get ready and laid out.
The ONLY thing that would be helpful is on the page listing the components is to have the resister values followed by the color code, since for initial sort that might help.  Yes, I do hit them with a tester but with meg sized loads my meter chokes.  (and not on the inductors, either!)  The color pictures of the separated components do help a lot, but I can't zoom in enough to check the color bands.

And the simple answer is to just meter every one, I realize.  Thanks for listening. Dale

Hi Dale,

Good catch!  =D> That's what I get for copy-n-pasting from the old RED doc.  :oops:

A new version has been uploaded with the wording changed to reflect only two diodes...

Also, I have thought about placing an image of each of the various resistors like is in the BO manual itself. I just haven't had the time to do the individual images. When doing that, I would also add in the actual color-code names so everyone had a better shot at getting it correct. Not sure my old eyes are good enough to really see the different colors even under magnification.

Personally, I just use my DMM. It's an old Radio Shack 22-813. Have had it for many years but it is quite accurate. I am thinking about getting a good OptiVisor magnifier. I find it difficult to hold things in one hand and work a soldering-iron and solder in another. I do have a helper jig but it doesn't do a very good job at holding a PCB.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 24, 2014 14:20 pm PDT
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
My thoughts exactly, but for the first pass, sort into boards technique you discussed, having a first shot and a verification might be good IF it isn't too time consuming.  Yes, I have two optivisor thingies, since at my age the accomodation to shift focus is getting pretty well zapped.

I will get another meter to try, the one I had wasn't up to the task of these ranges, which I didn't seem to ahve any problem with when the first set of boards went together.

But this is fun, and I have to just double check my selection before soldering.  Right after I wash my hands ten times.....

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
My E-Field Kit arrived today.... but, it will have to wait several days. Have to get the knee fixed first.....

Joe
WeatherLink Live

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Joe,
Good luck on both fronts.

The storms in the mid portion of the country and the south are keeping the stations on their toes.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
Thanks on both fronts Dale.

Can't wait to hear that your E-Field is up and running..... Oh the memories of building RED with older eyes. ](*,)
WeatherLink Live

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
Based on a few comments from a new builder (92Merc), I really need to update my RED Step-by-Step building document. My time at the moment is really limited for any such work but I hope to be able to get it going sometime late next week. I'll probably do it prior to building my own E-field system as I have just ordered one of the magnifiers suggested by 92Merc. That isn't due until the end of May so it will give me time to start putting things together for the updated RED build document.

I'll be using some of your inputs and images that you posted and/or sent to me. If anyone has additional comments/suggestions, please let me know so I can include all of the latest updates in the document.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
Don, while I sit and wait to be able to assemble my kit thought I would read the assembly instructions you have been so gracious to put together.

I noticed two things you may want to look at. On page 3, third paragraph..... Please all necessary....  I think you meant.  Please take all necessary.....

On both parts inventory sheets the GS-28P-S-ICATMEGA8 is listed and I believe it is only supposed to be on the Amplifier list.

I hope this helps,
Joe
WeatherLink Live

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »
Don, while I sit and wait to be able to assemble my kit thought I would read the assembly instructions you have been so gracious to put together.

I noticed two things you may want to look at. On page 3, third paragraph..... Please all necessary....  I think you meant.  Please take all necessary.....

Good catch Joe! Will make the change.

On both parts inventory sheets the GS-28P-S-ICATMEGA8 is listed and I believe it is only supposed to be on the Amplifier list.

Another good catch. Will make the changes and post them here in this thread. Probably won't be able to get to it until tomorrow morning as we have company this afternoon and evening.

Thanks for the inputs and as always inputs and suggestions are always welcome by anyone.

I hope this helps,
Joe

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »
Ya better keep your eye on Jumpin' Joe, or Limpin' Joe, or soon to be, according to him, 'Joggin' Joe'...
He's laid up a bit after that knee surgery, and has nothing to do but nit-pik, He's so bored he sent
me the grossest 'selfie' you can imagine.   But after his complaint about my last pic of him,
I refuse to share it on this forum.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »

I hope this helps,
Joe

Updates have been made to both documents - links to all documents are in the first post of this thread.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:06:18 PM by W3DRM »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »
As long as it isn't him 'mooning' someone, I guess it will all be in good taste.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED May 29, 2014 4:26 pm PDT
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »
Uh-oh, I made a mistake in the E-Field Amp PCB 13 assembly instructions (page 11).  :oops:

I erroneously listed IC2 as being a LMH6642. It should have been a MCP6292. This error has been corrected. Please download the new version of the documentation if you are going to assemble the E-Field kit.

I want to thank miraculon (Greg H) for finding this error and passing it on to me. That's what I call teamwork!  =D>

Links to all of the documents can be found in the first post in this thread.

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
This helps
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
For those looking to build a System Red, you probably have soldering capability and tools already.  But if you don't have an extensive set of tools already, here are a few that I think are invaluable...

Magnifying lamp (example)

The System Red has 18 surface-mount components (one GPS module on the controller board, plus 8 and 9 variable-gain opamps on the H-field and E-field amplifiers).  None are of the "truly tiny" variety, but if you have less than 20/10 vision, a decent magnifying lamp will help a LOT.

Even if you have tools like inspection microscopes/cameras, for everyday rapid soldering, it's hard to beat a magnifying lamp.

Tweezers

Frequently overlooked, components are always getting smaller, and a good pair of fine tweezers are essential.

Panavise

There are several ways to hold circuit boards while soldering them, including the friction "hope it doesn't move" method.  For me, the Panavise has been very helpful.

A decent temperature-controlled soldering station

For a long time, I did my soldering with cheap models I could find at Radio Shack, and while simple pencil irons will do a passable job, it's hard to beat quick-heating, variable-temperature, exchangeable-tip soldering stations--especially when you have to solder everything from tiny surface-mount components to the mounting lugs on connectors.  It still doesn't have to cost a lot - Weller is the "name brand" everyone knows, but there are others that will do an excellent job and cost less.

The above link is to the model I have, which I originally bought through All Electronics at a significant discount.  It's done a great job for me.  AE still sells replacement tips.

Multimeter

The venerable multimeter is a soldering bench must-have, useful for everything from quickly identifying which resistors are which, to checking for soldering shorts and gaps, etc.  It doesn't have to be expensive (mine is an old Radio Shack special) to be helpful.

A few other tools I've found helpful:
  • Flush-cutters for trimming leads after soldering
  • Thin-cut silver bearing solder
  • Heat-resistant Kapton tape was also helpful in holding components on the board while I flipped and soldered (McMaster-Carr).
  • Desoldering wick/solder sucker
  • Parts bins for organizing a project

ADDING: LCR meter, e.g. DE-5000:

(Can be had for far less through reputable Japanese sellers on Ebay)

What other tools have you found useful?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:12:26 PM by n0ym »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
er... I built mine with:
40 year old Weller WP-25 w/Cone point tip
24 ga 60:40 solder left over from pro days
pair of small dikes...
anti-static mat I had leftover from pro days..,
(in a pinch use cotton towel sprayed with mixture of laundry soap and water,.. let dry)
Q-tip and silicone grease/heatsink compound
(slight dab on tip, holds SMD's in place, till you heat the pin and it sticks to the  board pad you've tinned, finish other pads. Wipe off grease. )
a hand magnifier
a bright desk lamp.
oh... an ancient Simpson 260.
Can't imagine why the thing works...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:47:40 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »
er... I built mine with:
40 year old Weller WP-25 w/Cone point tip
24 ga 60:40 solder left over from pro days
pair of small dikes...
anti-static mat I had leftover from pro days..,
(in a pinch use cotton towel sprayed with mixture of laundry soap and water,.. let dry)
Q-tip and silicone grease/heatsink compound
(slight dab on tip, holds SMD's in place, till you heat the pin and it sticks to the  board pad you've tinned, finish other pads. Wipe off grease. )
a hand magnifier
a bright desk lamp.
oh... an ancient Simpson 260.
Can't imagine why the thing works...

...which goes to show that tools are only part of the answer! ;)  Can't beat skill.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »
...which goes to show that tools are only part of the answer! ;)  Can't beat skill.
... and good fortune...  =D>

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »
What other tools have you found useful?

Binocular magnifier for assembly. They can be had in differing powers or with interchangeable lenses. I like the 5x ones.

and a 10x loupe for close inspection of solder joints. I prefer the type that you hold with your eye.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED June 11, 2014 9:25 pm PDT
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2014, 01:07:43 AM »
I have finally finished compiling a new version of the RED System build instruction and inventory documents. I decided to leave the original documents there just in case someone may run across an unbuilt older kit.

Be aware that these are written for the following versions of the RED Amp and Controller boards ONLY. If there are other versions out there, I don't have the necessary documents to develop a similar document for them.
  • My original RED system kit
    • Amplifier PCB 12 Ver. 3 * 7/2013
    • Controller PCB 10 Ver. 3b * 8/2013
  • Current RED System Kit (I hope...)
    • Amplifier PCB 12 Ver. 3c * 8/2013
    • Controller PCB 10 Ver. 4 * 11/2013

If anyone has a later version than the one I show above, please let me know so I can update my documentation.

The new document links can be found in the first post of this thread, as always...

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED June 12, 2014 8:24 pm PDT
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
Made some minor updates to most of the documents I have put together. I've added images of the resistors and some inductors to make it easier for identification. No major changes tonight.

Let me know if you find any errors or typos.

Thanks,

anything