Author Topic: script(s) not current and need update(s)  (Read 279 times)

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
script(s) not current and need update(s)
« on: April 05, 2024, 12:56:48 PM »
In the status option of the website it tells me that there are more recent versions of 3 Saratoga-Weather scripts. I suppose that I can find these scripts by downloading base template world for my weather station software and I understand that it is enough to replace the files. Is it like that?

https://www.meteosanjuan.com/wxstatus.php?lang=en#

Thank you

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: script(s) not current and need update(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 02:28:57 PM »
Hi,
From the page that you have captured and attach, go to the bottom where you will see Use this link for details and click on that, then fill in the template and plugin details and the date from your last update and you will get all the correct updates needed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 02:56:08 PM »
Paul is correct.  Some more info from https://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/maint.php

Keep your scripts current the easy way

I know, maintenance of website scripts can be a real pain, particularly if you like to make modifications to scripts so they will display stuff as you like it. Well, the AJAX/PHP templates have been set up for tinkerers and out-of-the-box users, and both can minimize their labor required to keep the scripts up-to-date with current versions.

The files you are expected to modify to your liking are: Settings.php, Settings-weather.php, top.php, header.php, menubar.php, footer.php, flyout-menu.xml, wx...php, wx...html, language-*.txt, plaintext-parser-lang-*.txt and any new wx...php page you add to the site, or add-on scripts/pages from other authors.

The other scripts in the Base/Plugin distributions are considered support scripts and should remain as distributed. But.. it's all source code, and you're an informed citizen, so feel free to modify any of it to your liking and take on the burden of supporting what you modified.

Here are some tips to make your maintenance chore easier:

Try to avoid making changes to the support scripts so you'll be able to just replace them when new versions come out (otherwise, you'll need to refit your mods into the new versions with each release).
    Use the http://www.yourwebsite.com/check-fetch-times.php?show=versions utility to check your installed scripts for current versions of the distributed Base/Plugin files [sample screenshot](this is available in V1.06+ of the check-fetch-times.php script).
    Use the Update Tool page to get a .ZIP file of needed updates based on a query (date, Base and Plugin). Dowload the .zip file generated and unzip it to a directory. You can examine the README file for recommendations on how to apply the updated files to your existing website.
    You can also use an automated tool like the free Sourcegear Diff/Merge program to compare folders/files and apply merges to your existing template files easily.

How often should you check for updates? I'd recommend at least weekly (or any time a current script appears to be malfunctioning).

How can you find what the current updates are? You can subscribe to the Scripts RSS feed or to the SaratogaWXPHP Twitter feed or just view the Update Tool page which shows the last 20 updates for the templates without having to query.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 04:25:47 AM »

Thanks to both for the answers. In the end what I have done before replacing with the new versions is to copy the scripts before. I have not noticed any changes because I sense that they are not scripts that should be customized. Everything works well.