Author Topic: Some Feedback from Davis  (Read 2583 times)

Offline jchen

Some Feedback from Davis
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:19:58 PM »
Question:

I am thinking about replacing the NiCd batteries in my FARS. I understand that standard batteries are 1.2 v and 2400mAh. Would it be a problem or inadvisable to replace them with either high capacity NiCd's (1.2 v 3000-3500 mAh) or LiMh batteries (1.2 v 3500-5000 mAh)? If it is not a problem, would the charging circuit be adequate?

Answer:

There is no need nor advantage to using higher-capacity batteries to power your FARS.  I would recommend using the same rating.

Question:

I note the documentation suggests changing the batteries every two or three years. Have your or your customers indicated any personal experience as whether its closer to two or three? I guess it would be better to do it proactively than to wait until the batts failed in the dead of winter on a snow covered roof. Same question regarding the FARS fan motor. Is the duty cycle really only two or three years?

Answer:

I would replace nothing proactively.  Lifespans vary by quite a bit. I would just wait until you have a definite need.

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus - 24hr-FARS
Weatherlink 5.9.2 beta
CWOP: CW5885
WU: KNJFAIRL3
Northeastern Weather Network

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: Some Feedback from Davis
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

I note the documentation suggests changing the batteries every two or three years. Have your or your customers indicated any personal experience as whether its closer to two or three? I guess it would be better to do it proactively than to wait until the batts failed in the dead of winter on a snow covered roof. Same question regarding the FARS fan motor. Is the duty cycle really only two or three years?

Answer:

I would replace nothing proactively.  Lifespans vary by quite a bit. I would just wait until you have a definite need.
After having my station down for almost two weeks because the battery died and we didn't have a break in the wind, rain and snow for that long, I'm replacing mine every other September.   :???:
Joe Torsitano

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
After changing the "1 year+" batt on my 2nd temp sensor board after 5 months (as others have also done), I'm very curious as to the general FARS batt life-span reported by users.

Sounds like a good basis for a poll showing failure times and/or pro-active times!

What's the current price on the motor?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline jchen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »
Archer Trading Post - $40.00 plus shipping, Davis wanted $45.00 plus shipping for a total of $54.00

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus - 24hr-FARS
Weatherlink 5.9.2 beta
CWOP: CW5885
WU: KNJFAIRL3
Northeastern Weather Network