Author Topic: Newly registered to WXForum.net? Ensure your email address is correct...  (Read 14315 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Lately, there have been a few new member registrations to the forum that have had incorrect/not-working email addresses.
Since our registration process requires a new member to click on a link in a validation email, they never receive the email and so cannot be validated. 

If the validation message bounces due to 'user unknown' or 'mailbox full/disabled', I will delete the registration (since validation cannot happen).

If the validation message bounces due to the outgoing mail server for our site being temporarily on a spam blacklist (yes, it happens, but not because of our actions), then I will wait a day or two, and send a validation reminder.  This most often happens to the following domains:

*@comcast.net
*@sbcglobal.net
*@att.net
*@cox.net

The above use sorbs.net blacklist listings which are fairly hair-trigger but resolve naturally in a couple of days.

And seldom happens to *@gmail.com, *@outlook/hotmail.com, *@yahoo.com

So, if after registering, you DON'T receive a validation message immediately, check your junk mail folder, and if not there, wait a day or two to see if one arrives.  If you misspell your email address, you will not be able to successfully complete registration and activation --- your registration will be deleted.   Questions: use the Contact form to send me a message.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline dc1500

• Laindon Weather
Re: Newly registered to WXForum.net? Ensure your email address is correct...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »
Hi - I have just joined,  it seems as threatened , the plug has been pulled on the server for the Cumulus weather forum!!!
Just a polite note to say that the captcha instructions on here are incorrect which made me take several attempts to work out what was going on. It says to arrange icons "vertically". It should read arrange " in their natural or expected orientations". Having arranged a few buses, cars vertically etc. I realised it must mean something else!! Hope this helps others.
Dave

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
Ken,
Maybe it help if you update your DNS zone and include a DMARC record. I noticed you don't have one.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
Alas, Chris (capeweather) has the wxforum.net DNS authority so I can't alter the DNS records.  I have the hosting with external DNS for wxforum.net.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »
Hi - I have just joined,  it seems as threatened , the plug has been pulled on the server for the Cumulus weather forum!!!
Just a polite note to say that the captcha instructions on here are incorrect which made me take several attempts to work out what was going on. It says to arrange icons "vertically". It should read arrange " in their natural or expected orientations". Having arranged a few buses, cars vertically etc. I realised it must mean something else!! Hope this helps others.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll change the instructions as you suggest.

Offline dc1500

• Laindon Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
Not for this thread I know, but as I mentioned it, the Cumulus server seems to be up and running again.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:44:12 PM »
Done... now appears as attached.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
Just for informational purposes, I couldn’t register with a @msn.com email address.