Author Topic: First Weather Station (Atlas) Going Back - Suggestions?  (Read 772 times)

Offline Bswartz95

First Weather Station (Atlas) Going Back - Suggestions?
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:00:46 PM »
Hey all,

New into the weather station game.  I mainly want a station for fun.  I want to be able to check my conditions remotely.  I really liked the Access setup via ethernet cable with rapid fire updates to Weather Underground.  Looking for something similar.

Also, would like "instantaneous rainfall".  I don't like AcuRite's formula for calculating rain rate.

I'm looking at:

Davis Vantage Vue 6250.  I assume I'd need the WeatherLink live to connect to my router.  Does this offer rapid fire updates to Weather Underground, or do I have to pay a subscription to the Weatherlink website to enable this?

Ambient Weather 2000 - not crazy about the 2.4ghz WiFi connection.

WeatherFlow - caught my eye.  Any experience?

I'm open to suggestions.  The Atlas is getting boxed up. 

Thanks! 

Ambient WS-2000
WU: KOHBLACK25
CWOP: FW7605

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: First Weather Station (Atlas) Going Back - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:05:04 PM »
Davis Vantage Vue has no replacement parts. With Davis you gotta go big or go home. Vantage Pro 2 is really nice and has all the replacement parts.

As long as you are considering Ambient, then take a look at Ecowitt also. The GW1000 let's you have your data any way you want with lots of simple software compatibility. The GW1002 is a nice complete system with everything you need (as it includes the GW1000).

You'll get the instant rain rate with any of these.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:14:17 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bswartz95

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »
Davis Vantage Vue has no replacement parts. With Davis you gotta go big or go home. Vantage Pro 2 is really nice and has all the replacement parts.

As long as you are considering Ambient, then take a look at Ecowitt also. The GW1000 let's you have your data any way you want with lots of simple software compatibility. The GW1002 is a nice complete system with everything you need (as it includes the GW1000).

I'm leaning toward the Ambient Weather WS-2000 Smart Weather Station with WiFi Remote Monitoring and Alerts.  Seems it would have everything I need and easy to operate.  The reviews seem to be mostly positive.   
Ambient WS-2000
WU: KOHBLACK25
CWOP: FW7605

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 02:00:15 AM »

I'm leaning toward the Ambient Weather WS-2000 Smart Weather Station with WiFi Remote Monitoring and Alerts.  Seems it would have everything I need and easy to operate.  The reviews seem to be mostly positive.

I bought one literally two days ago, and will be reporting on how it stacks up!
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline CochiseKev

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:55:02 PM »
See my 2 posts in this thread regarding WeatherFlow:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39324.0

anything