Author Topic: Installed a new Foscam webcam today  (Read 1443 times)

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
Installed a new Foscam webcam today
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:21:14 PM »
So I set it up in WU and got it set up in Foscam and get success in foscam but the camera in WU still has a red dot. Help me someone!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Installed a new Foscam webcam today
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 09:36:43 PM »
It mostly never shows right away. Give it a day or two even. The camera should work fine, my Foscam does.

Which one do you have?

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
FII9900P Same as my old one that worked. Still isn't showing up. Question, in the FTP setup I used the camera name WU gave me which captgadgetCAM5 and for the password, I used the key WU gave me. And that worked but if I used my WU password the test would fail. Right or wrong?

Online Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »
For me (I have Hikv) yes I use the Name assigned by WU and the Key assigned by WU.
I have had 2 cams uploading regularly with no trouble.  Hope I didn't just jinx that  ](*,)

Edit: I also upload to 52.36.136.128 and Not the address they suggest.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:36:02 PM by Otis »

CW3699

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 09:59:46 PM »
FII9900P Same as my old one that worked. Still isn't showing up. Question, in the FTP setup I used the camera name WU gave me which captgadgetCAM5 and for the password, I used the key WU gave me. And that worked but if I used my WU password the test would fail. Right or wrong?

Did you in9ut just like you typed above? Because your CAM name should be all caps. At least that's how I put mine in copy and paste.

Oh but I just re-read your post. Yes, that is correct. Use the KEY for cam ftp setting. Password is just to log into site account.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:02:21 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 10:06:52 PM »
For me (I have Hikv) yes I use the Name assigned by WU and the Key assigned by WU.
I have had 2 cams uploading regularly with no trouble.  Hope I didn't just jinx that  ](*,)

Edit: I also upload to 52.36.136.128 and Not the address they suggest.

Its funny. Seems to be no consistency. I uploaded for ma y years just fine. Then it quit. The mine was working and many, many others quit. Then only URL method only would work. Then that quit. Now I use regular FTP address as the IP numbers quit working for me.

It seems whatever bugs they work on do not get fixed across the board, it only affects specific accounts.......for good AND bad.

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 07:30:34 AM »
It might safe to assume that WU isn't taking any new webcams. Oh well, I can upload to Weathercloud and AWEKAS.

Offline Popper

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:30 PM »
How do you like the Foscam FII9900P? I was going for that one myself then I saw the upgraded G4 for only a few more dollars with higher resolution. I was told to get highest resolution possible but seems some web sites don't like the higher resolution?
Any thoughts???
Thanks!

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
I love the Foscam. It was the right tool for the job. Power available but no wired ethernet.

Unless you want it for your own viewing I don't see any point in higher rsolution. For sure WU will never accept any bigger images and I suppose other sites have limits too.

Offline Popper

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
Foscam seems like the perfect device, same here, power no ethernet.

Am I correct in saying you can always lower the resolution, so even if I did go higher you can lower to WU low standards?

In the end I am looking for bigger and better than WU for streaming video for larger viewing community.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 07:56:25 AM »
I wouldn't' say every camera or App has the ability to lower resolution at will. What I am using has three choices. L/M/H Images spec out at about 75k on Low setting. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Importantly, you can name the file image.jpg right at the camera. I looked carefully for that ability as I did not want to require forwarding it to PC or whatever for treatment. I am sure there are lots of good ways to do that but I had not really dabbled in things like RPi at that time.

The user manual on line has total screen shots of the web interface so it was easy to see it actually had the settings I wanted.

Attached is a shot of 75k image.

Offline Popper

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Thanks...still looks pretty good on the low setting! Taking a look at the manual before hand is an excellent idea!

anything