Author Topic: Curious Region 3 sawtooth signal rate  (Read 1209 times)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Curious Region 3 sawtooth signal rate
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »
Hi!

Haven't posted here for a LONG time. I upgraded a few portions of my system and managed to fix a long-standing interferer with a gratifying rise in strike ratios.

I noticed that the network aggregate (and individual) signal rate exhibits an odd sawtooth pattern with a period of 1-2 hours. Is this the result of some new server algorithm? Other ideas? It seems to have been going on for a while.

Best regards,

Don

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Curious Region 3 sawtooth signal rate
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:03:46 AM »
Welcome back Don.
Here is the same plot for my two stations:

I am not sure what the similar sawtooth on the "Mean signals per station" means. Is that for all stations? It has the same pattern.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
Doggone.. good to see the three of us all in a row here!... Just like old times!...
There's baclend development and upgrading going on, using the extras power and ability of the LMO servers, which are currently driving the BT processing with BT distributing... Tobi and Egon are working on them, so we're liable to see most anything as Egon prepares to potentially upgrade and install new BT servers later.... LMO is using one main server which all stations are directed, with a backup incase of issues.. with the usual "experimental' analyusis, and other 'tests' common to LMO, we may see various quirks... etc...

Mike

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
Hi, Mike, Greg,

Good to find you both  active still.

Still running the same Red setup with the shielded ferrite antennas. I turned off Automatic mode and reverted to my old manual gains. I had a 120 Hz interferer due to a new fancy home automation dimmer I installed. I tried solving it with the impulse filter function. I’m pretty sure the function just suppresses the channel completely when the interference is present rather than blanking the channel during the noise impulse. I wired a 50 microhenry high-current choke in series with the hot lead of the dimmer. That seemed to clean the interference up.

The sawtooth pattern is only evident on signal rate, not strike rate. Could be the server sharing or some other artifact of bringing the new servers online. I assume the mean rate is just the average of the signal rates for all of the active Region 3 stations.

Regards,

Don

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
Welcome back Don.
Here is the same plot for my two stations:

I am not sure what the similar sawtooth on the "Mean signals per station" means. Is that for all stations? It has the same pattern.

Greg H.

Hi, Greg,

I was referring more to the mean value spikes that seem to indicate some common factor as the cause. However, it’s also evident in the individual station stats.

Best,

Don F.

anything