Author Topic: Anemometer stops transmitting at night (solved)  (Read 248 times)

Offline bbrowncods

Anemometer stops transmitting at night (solved)
« on: March 08, 2024, 08:26:01 AM »
I have a seperate anemometer with a 6332 Wireless Sensor Transmitter on the roof.  The first symptom was a 'low battery' warning.  Then after about two days it would stop transmitting at night but would start back up when the sun came out.  So this is indicative of the 10 Farad super-capacitor having failed.

I always have a couple of these handy for such an occasion.  Took the old one out and soldered the new one in.  To test it, I left the battery out and set the transmitter in the sun for about 2 hours, then brought it in and set it on the table upside down so there was no light getting on the solar panel.  If the fix was successful it would transmit (I will see "0" wind speed and no direction because it is not connected to the anemometer).

That is it!  It transmits all night.  I replaced the battery and put it back on the roof.

I hope this helps someone out!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:27:37 AM by bbrowncods »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Anemometer stops transmitting at night (solved)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 04:13:03 PM »
A low battery warning is actually the CR-123 backup battery and yes would be the case quite some time (months) after a capacitor failure. The CR-123 backup battery will run a standard ISS for 8 months without sunlight so is not something that occurs over a few days

Offline bbrowncods

Re: Anemometer stops transmitting at night (solved)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 04:48:57 PM »
Good point.  No telling how long the capacitor has been failing or failed.  However, the low battery warning was only displayed for 2 days.