Author Topic: Minimize data loss  (Read 389 times)

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
Minimize data loss
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »
Isaias took out power to my town and it’s not expected to come back until late Tuesday night. I actually have a standby generator running, but our Internet is out. I am trying to figure out the best way to minimize data loss with my Davis Vantage Pro connected to the Ambient WeatherBridge. I don’t think the historical data are saved for a long period of time. Would it be better to plug the usb data logger back into my Mac, so Weatherlink  can save the data locally to my computer? The question is, how could I export that data back to my meteobridge, so it uploads to all my websites?
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Minimize data loss
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about troubles caused by the storm. Hopefully all else is well for you.

One thing you could try and do if you are staying home is to set your mobile phone up as a hotspot if your plan allows. Then configure the Meteobridge to connect to that for Internet service. Hopefully you have cellular service. I don't think it will use up much data in case you are on a limited plan. But you could keep track of your usage.

When you ask about uploading data to all your websites, define these websites. Are these online weather services (WU, CWOP, AWEKAS...etc.) or are you referring to own personal website template? Because most online weather services do not allow to catch up from previous data. Exceptions are Weatherlink.com. At one point WU allowed this but I've not heard that this works anymore.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »
Well cellular data won’t be an option unfortunately. I’ve burned through all of it for school when I was up in Maine. I’m on reduced speeds until Optimum fixes our internet. I’m not sure how I would go about configuring my personal hotspot to meteobridge anyway.

Yes I was talking about online weather websites. I also have a personal website using meteotemplate, which I know has an import option. Is there anyway if I connect my console back to WeatherLink, I can export the data to meteotemplate? I don’t know how familiar you are with that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:44:42 AM by chrispyt2 »
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:11 AM »
Well cellular data won’t be an option unfortunately. I’ve burned through all of it for school when I was up in Maine. I’m on reduced speeds until Optimum fixes our internet. I’m not sure how I would go about configuring my personal hotspot to meteobridge anyway.
  • Turn on hotspot
  • use computer to go to your Meteobridge on your existing home network and then to the Network settings tab of the Meteobridge
  • Configure Meteobridge network settings to connect to new WiFi hotspot (the hotspot will show up under Known SSIDs drop down)
  • Click "Save and Apply and Reboot" button on Meteobridge Network settings after entering WiFi hotspot settings
  • Disconnect Meteobridge cable from Ethernet if previously using Ethernet
  • To find IP address of Meteobridge there are several ways (after you connect computer to hotspot):
          - see the IP address on LCD of MB PRO (if you have that model)
          - if you don't have a MB PRO with LCD display then follow try the magic ip address:
                  http://magicip.meteobridge.com/
          - or follow instructions below for IP Signaling:
                 https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started
           - You could also look at your phone hotspot and it probably will tell you the IP address of the devices it is sharing Internet connection with.
  • Connect your computer to the same hotspot to ensure that Meteobride is now working by looking at Live Data tab
  • To switch back all you do is connect computer to same hotspot and point browser to Meteobridge on that network and set network connection back to previous network settings

If you are on limited speed for hotspot but you are on unlimited data usage it seems, then it should sill work because the Meteobridge doesn't require much speed. WU rapidfire should still work as it isn't much data.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Yes I was talking about online weather websites. I also have a personal website using meteotemplate, which I know has an import option. Is there anyway if I connect my console back to WeatherLink, I can export the data to meteotemplate? I don’t know how familiar you are with that.
I suppose you could set things back up with Weatherlink for PC software....but I would just proceed getting the Meteobridge on your hotspot.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:31:01 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »
It will not help you this time but for future reference, the 'outdated LCD VP console' stores several days of observations. I never found a spec that listed how may days, but I know mine had at least 21 days. The weewx system has large number of database tools for reading data from multiple sources and adding it to the weewx database.

I ended up with an extra RPi so I started experimenting with weewx in the middle of July. The first time that I started the weeex program, it connected to the VP2 console (through the Meteobridge pass through) and loaded records from early June.

I immediately thought "that was the easiest multiple day data recovery ever." Next time we have a multi-day power outage all I have to do is keep the VP2 Console going. I know from past outages we have had, a low end UPS and several alkaline C batteries will last over a week.

Weewx also has tools for importing Davis WLK into the weewx database. Of the weather templates that I have experimented with, weewx has the best data tools for collecting history from multiple systems and getting it into a single database.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:20:15 PM by bchwdlks »

anything