Author Topic: Weewx Problem  (Read 1018 times)

Offline PSL

Weewx Problem
« on: August 29, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »
I was in the process of installing weewx on my Rpi 4 using the install guide for debian based systems. All seemed to go well and I entered my station lat, long, etc and entered the model number for my Acurite Atlas 01007M. After install, I ran the command
 sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog and there were errors, all pertaining to USB. I'm confused. My Atlas has no USB, just an Access.

I got frustrated and removed he weewx software and figured I'd see if anyone here might tell me what I was doing wrong before I tried again.

Thank You.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Re: Weewx Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
I don't know about the Acurite hardware, but when setting up weewx for my Davis VP2, I needed to enter the type of connection (serial or network) and (for a serial connection) the serial port being used or (for a network connection) the IP address of the station's logger. It sounds as if the Acurite setup is defaulting to a USB serial connection, and I assume that your 'Access' is a networked device. If the setup questions that you see when you install weewx do not include ones relevant to the device type you are using, you will need to edit the weewx.conf file appropriately.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline PSL

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:24 AM »
I don't know about the Acurite hardware, but when setting up weewx for my Davis VP2, I needed to enter the type of connection (serial or network) and (for a serial connection) the serial port being used or (for a network connection) the IP address of the station's logger. It sounds as if the Acurite setup is defaulting to a USB serial connection, and I assume that your 'Access' is a networked device. If the setup questions that you see when you install weewx do not include ones relevant to the device type you are using, you will need to edit the weewx.conf file appropriately.

Thanks. Yes the Access is a networked device. I'm in the process of editing the file because the driver needs to be changed.

Offline Theo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
I was in the process of installing weewx on my Rpi 4 using the install guide for debian based systems. All seemed to go well and I entered my station lat, long, etc and entered the model number for my Acurite Atlas 01007M. After install, I ran the command
 sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog and there were errors, all pertaining to USB. I'm confused. My Atlas has no USB, just an Access.

I got frustrated and removed he weewx software and figured I'd see if anyone here might tell me what I was doing wrong before I tried again.

Thank You.

Well, first it starts with understanding of what you are doing and how you are doing it.  The only way to get weewx to support the access is to "sniff" network traffic that the access is sending to Weather Underground.  This requires you to have the ability to sniff network traffic (a switch that supports port mirroring, the access and the pi plugged into that switch), the Access sending data to Weather Underground, and weewx configured in interceptor mode (oh, and the ethernet port set up in promiscuous mode).

There are lots of tutorials out there, and to even begin to think about being successful, you need to read, review, configure, then post your configuration (hardware/os/network layout/weewx.cfg/logs with weewx in debug mode) for others to help.

I have weewx running rock solid with my Access. 

anything