Author Topic: WeatherLink Live Wi-Fi  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Parke10

WeatherLink Live Wi-Fi
« on: February 13, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »
Hello everyone, I just got back from the World Ag Expo in Tulare, Ca and as always I stopped to talk with the Davis folks.

One of the first questions I asked them was if they had anything new coming out and they handed me a brochure on their new WeatherLink Live "module". They explained it as a replacement for their wired loggers, this will supposedly be completely wireless in the sense of communicating with the console and the internet(obviously). They said to expect it to be out in about two months and that the price will be $250 retail. They also informed me that they are discontinuing the WeatherLink IP, as the new WeatherLink Live will also have an ethernet jack.

I did a quick search and didn't find any discussions on this so hopefully I didn't just miss it somehow.

Here's the link to it. https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlink-live-coming-soon/

Whats everyone's thoughts on this? I think it will finally be another good solution to putting consoles in more reasonable places and still having internet connectivity. I especially like the fact that its wireless from the console and still able to be hardwired to the router/switch.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:09:19 PM by Parke10 »

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WeatherLink Live Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
It sounds like a good thing.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:02 PM »
It isn't wireless from the console it is wireless from the ISS. It doesn't need the console.

The WLL has been discussed in a few threads. The one that comes to mind without searching is the one discussing the VP3 not coming.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35680.0
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Regardless of what else it does one of the most important features maintained will be the wired Ethernet, without that it would be a totally backward step as there is becoming way too much hoop la with WiFi

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »
I did a quick search and didn't find any discussions on this so hopefully I didn't just miss it somehow.
;)   https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35680.msg367299#msg367299

Can you share the brochure with us?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Parke10

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:32:19 PM »
It isn't wireless from the console it is wireless from the ISS. It doesn't need the console.

The WLL has been discussed in a few threads. The one that comes to mind without searching is the one discussing the VP3 not coming.

That makes alot more sense and what I thought it was but she made it sound like a was basically using the console as a repeater. I doubt that's the case as it wouldn't make sense.

I completely agree, I'll be tossing mine into my server/switch rack in my media closet.
Also, DOH guess I didn't search well enough. ](*,)

;)   https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35680.msg367299#msg367299

Enjoy,
Paul

Again, DOH ](*,) ](*,) I actually left it in my brothers truck but its basically a printed out version of whats listed on that link. So nothing special.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 03:38:15 AM »

The text and images are essentially what is already in the main Davis 2019 catalogue.

I've not seen a WLL unit in the flesh yet but the main receive mode is presumably to receive direct from the  transmitters. However, if you were to have a console set to retransmit ISS data on a different channel then the WLL could probably receive that data, so in this narrow sense  the console could act as a repeater. But this would be rather a niche application and with retransmission limited to just a single ISS transmitter (ie rather than the full 8 transmitters that WLL can receive direct from the transmitter).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:55:04 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
FYI, I did ping Davis support about whether there would be any FTP support. The answer was "no" but they said that there are API functions and "more to be added".

I wonder if the WLL might be the precursor to a new console. The existing Envoy (non 8x) is identical to the receiver board in the console. The display/keyboard plugs into it. Maybe once this comes out I'll do an AvE thing and tear it down and have a look. (but maybe I'll check it first....)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
FYI, I did ping Davis support about whether there would be any FTP support. The answer was "no" but they said that there are API functions and "more to be added".

I wonder if the WLL might be the precursor to a new console. The existing Envoy (non 8x) is identical to the receiver board in the console. The display/keyboard plugs into it. Maybe once this comes out I'll do an AvE thing and tear it down and have a look. (but maybe I'll check it first....)

Greg H.

No don't do an AvE thing. He sacrifices and breaks everything as he finds the magic pixies and then it stops choochin. Pretty entertaining though. You gotta do instead an EEVblog thing.

Don't get your....well you know the rest.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:45:40 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
Looking forward to WLL and hoping that it has as good as reception as the Vue console or better. Frustrated with a large number of signal loss events on my VP2 consoles during the recent cold spells. The Vue console however never lost reception. If it wasn't for the need to get data from my soil temp/moisture station I would make the Vue console the primary one.
Bill

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »
One thing I'm wondering about this new product is how open it's going to be in regards of 3rd-party integration. What I see in the current info page is "Build your own weather tools with our powerful suite of API products." - which usually means a commercially licensed API and obscure, closed set of libraries for some popular environment like .net with C#, instead of a standards-based simple interface like MQTT. We'll eventually see when it finally gets released, but I'm not having high hopes for connectivity besides Davis-controlled ways. And that decreases its value in my eyes a LOT.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
I would imagine not much will change but if WL2.0 is any indication then it will be whatever Davis decides is best for you and in conjunction with their own closed propriety infrastructure

anything