Author Topic: Missing Temp and Dewpoint after Upgrade.  (Read 3028 times)

Offline avalanch

Missing Temp and Dewpoint after Upgrade.
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
Question for everyone, I recently did the migration to the smart hub, before I was using Kevin's Software that worked like a charm. Ever since the migration I have a major problem, there are huge gaps in my Temp and Dewpoint readings on Weather underground? Strange thing is all the other readings are fine, no gaps, just Temp and Dewpoint. Anyone see this, any tips on where the troubleshooting should start? Thanks everyone...

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
Re: Missing Temp and Dewpoint after Upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
Lots of us (including me with one of my 2 hubs) have the same issue.  AcuRite is aware of it and working to get it fixed.  Nothing you can do on your end.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
I just sent some data to Larry which should help them find and fix the problem.

Offline avalanch

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »
Thank you both for the response, I was  thinking something was wrong with my 5 in 1. I will standby and wait for the fix, thanks again..

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:43:18 AM »
Phew...so many bugs being reported.  I wish they would have tested it a little longer before releasing it.  I'm trying to wait as long as I can now before updating mine. 
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 09:19:08 AM »
Phew...so many bugs being reported.  I wish they would have tested it a little longer before releasing it.  I'm trying to wait as long as I can now before updating mine.

It looks different when you consider that many are updating without problems.

Anyway, it's like any release of a major new system.  Bugs and unforeseen problems are inevitable.  They are working on it.

If you wait for any non-trivial system to be bug-free before release, you'll probably never release it.

This particular bug I see as an annoyance.  Considering folks went from 15-minute updates to 36 seconds, they are still sending more data faster to wunderground than they were before.  Of course, to hear some tell it now, the 15-minute updates intervals were just fine.

That doesn't mean you don't fix it, but it's just weird hearing people essentially say "give us back the 15-minute gaps... they were better than theses smaller gaps".

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 02:12:12 PM »
Just an update on what I've observed.

It seems the issue is limited specifically to temp and humidity, plus any value derived from them (e.g. dewpoint).

Other data continues to flow.

However, it seems the temp and humidity gaps are also present on myAcurite from looking at exported data, so it's not just a wunderground-related problem.  Again, other data continues to flow.

Earlier I thought the http messages were getting garbled, but they appear to be clean.  It's just any parameters related to temp/humidity are just not there... not blank, just not there at all.

I've no idea what might be triggering this behavior.  I only have it on one station that started doing it yesterday.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
George, I've found the same thing and it's only on the migrated hub...the beta does not have the issue.  They'll get it figured out eventually.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »
My original hub bricked, I got a brand new one, and it is experiencing gaps. It seems to be dropping the thermometer readings only. Wind speed, and rain are not affected. I see dashes showing up on Wunder when this happens.

Offline ucfknight02

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
I have this issue as well, it typically is only one data point on WU every few hours.  If I bought a PC connect display and broadcasted to WU with that through meteobridge, would it go away?  I'm wondering if its the website or something with my bridge and hardware....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
I have this issue as well, it typically is only one data point on WU every few hours.  If I bought a PC connect display and broadcasted to WU with that through meteobridge, would it go away?  I'm wondering if its the website or something with my bridge and hardware....

If you have only one data point on wunderground every few hours, you have a different problem than what we are talking about.

For the problem we are talking about, buying new hardware seems a bit drastic if not expensive.  I guess if you have a USB display you could run PC Connect for a while if it really bothers you.  A meteobridge wouldn't be necessary.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:43:50 AM by nincehelser »

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
wcknight, I think you're talking about the little gaps in chart/tabular data on Weather Underground. I have it, too, from one of my smartHUBs.  If I were you, I wouldn't spend anything on hardware to attempt getting it fixed.  AcuRite is aware of the issue and they're working on it.

Offline ucfknight02

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
Yes, exactly.  I checked the time stamps again (had a few more overnight).  Its definitely more than one 5 min data point, sometimes 20-30 minutes of lost data.  but it shows on my WU graph as one lost point.  No big deal, just wondering if its on my end, appears not to be the case.  I have excellent signal to the bridge from the sensor.   It is causing me to lose my little WU medal for quality though...

Offline ucfknight02

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
On a side note, i noticed as of thursday or so myacurite.com is reporting manually calibrated station pressure to WU now, nice!   Before it would only send absolute pressure from the bridge...so my pressure looks right now, but I'm losing dewpoint, humidity and temperature intermittently.....it still shows pressure and wind for some reason :grin:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
On a side note, i noticed as of thursday or so myacurite.com is reporting manually calibrated station pressure to WU now, nice!   Before it would only send absolute pressure from the bridge...so my pressure looks right now, but I'm losing dewpoint, humidity and temperature intermittently.....it still shows pressure and wind for some reason :grin:

MyAcurite.com doesn't report pressure (or any other weather data) to wunderground.  Wunderground is updated directly from the SmartHUB.

The pressure issue will not change until a new firmware version is pushed down to the the SmartHUB.  As far as I'm aware, the most current app version is 224, which does not send manually calibrated station pressure to wunderground.

More likely wunderground has auto-adjusted your station pressure for you.  They've started doing that lately.

For the problem we are discussing, all data other than "tempf" and "dewptf" is flowing to wunderground every 36 seconds.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:32:55 AM by nincehelser »

Offline ucfknight02

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
nincehelser, you are right.  I looked at each data point between myacurite and WU.  The pressure is just slightly different in places about 0.01 inhg off.  So its WU processing the absolute.  Would they use the elevation I put in my profile you think?  I added 6 feet to the standard number since my bridge is up high on a bookshelf, i doubt this would show up however.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
nincehelser, you are right.  I looked at each data point between myacurite and WU.  The pressure is just slightly different in places about 0.01 inhg off.  So its WU processing the absolute.  Would they use the elevation I put in my profile you think?  I added 6 feet to the standard number since my bridge is up high on a bookshelf, i doubt this would show up however.

I'd guess they are using the elevation as listed in your wunderground profile. 

On the other hand, it's hard to know with wunderground.  They could be sanity-checking your elevation based on your location, too.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »
I had those gaps in Weather Underground temperature & humidity, too, with one smartHUB/myAcuRite.  Not today, however...perhaps fixed?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 01:41:29 PM »
I had those gaps in Weather Underground temperature & humidity, too, with one smartHUB/myAcuRite.  Not today, however...perhaps fixed?

Every time I think that, it comes back.  I had one about 8:09AM CDT this morning.

It would be interesting to swap staging and production SmartHUBs to see if if the problem follows the device or the servers, but I can't think of any way we can do that as users.

My current theory is that the server load messages that sometimes get sent are throwing off the SmartHUB in an unusual way.  That might explain why we don't see the problem on the staging servers (as they are likely lightly loaded).

It's a weird bug, that's for sure.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »
And no sooner do I say that and suddenly I have gaps on the staging system.    #-o

Going out a limb here, but maybe that means they can reproduce the issue.

edit--

DOH!  I forgot Time-Warner's been dinking with my cable-modem this morning.  That's probably the reason. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:03:46 PM by nincehelser »

Offline joegr

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
...  I had one about 8:09AM CDT this morning...

Interestingly, my drop out today was between 8:08 and 8:19 am CDT.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »
...  I had one about 8:09AM CDT this morning...

Interestingly, my drop out today was between 8:08 and 8:19 am CDT.

Yes.  It does seem that the problems occur for several users at about the same time.  I'm guessing that might have something to do with which particular server is handling your data.  We may be serviced by the same one.

I'm not sure this is the cause, but a normal response from the myAcurite servers is the local time and a "check version" number.  However, sometimes you get a 50x error saying something to the effect that the back-end servers are overloaded.  I'm thinking the SmartHUB just can't grok that message and it somehow screws up its ability to handle the temp/humidty data from the 5n1 temporarily.  Maybe something like the length of the 50x error string might be clobbering the memory location where the temp/humidity data is held.

Without the temp/humidity data, uploads to wunderground (and myAcurite, too) are missing all the data they need, thus the gaps on wunderground's graph, and the lack of data in myAcurite's CSV files.

That's my wild theory.  I reserve the right to change it tomorrow.   ;)

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
Spoke too soon.  Gaps are back with the migrated hub.  Had only one yesterday but 3 so far today as of 8:30 am.  Oh, well.