Author Topic: New DIY station setup - Davis sensors with ESP32 and Home Assistant + ceilometer  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Gareth79

I thought people here might appreciate some details of a fairly DIY weather station setup I've been working on the past couple of months.

I've had some Davis VP sensors in the loft for a few years and have been meaning to set up something custom, and finally got around to it after using the ESPHome software and realising that it would be perfect to integrate them into Home Assistant (which I use extensively for home automation etc).

I will upload the ESPHome configuration to Github at some point, because it might be useful to others, I had to write a few custom sensors to get it working correctly.  Basically the direction vane is connected to an analogue pin and translated into degrees, the rain bucket and anememoter are connected to pulse counters which are translated into mm/mph.  I also am using some cheap DS18B20 temperature sensors, and a relay to switch the rain gauge heater.  I bought a BME280 sensor to get humidity too but it didn't seem to work on the ESP32 for some reason (it worked on a Wemos D1 for testing though, odd).

The wind sensors are on a 34mm (3mm wall thickness) steel pole bolted to the house wall, currently 3.5m above the brackets, but I will raise it up a bit more I think to clear it as far as possible from the roof. I managed to get it up just before a storm here and I measured 61mph so I think it's all strong enough!   The rain gauge etc. is at the end of a patio roof, approx 3m from the house. I think it's overall in the most sensible place for the moment.

Finally, I picked up an Eliasson CBME80 ceilometer off eBay just before xmas (sold as unknown condition but works perfectly!), and it has been a project to integrate the raw data from that into something useful.

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Wow, great first post! All sorts of interesting stuff here.
Mark

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Welcome to the Forum!

Great to see ingenuity above and beyond!
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Simply awesome. I love the DIY angle.

I have ESP Pico and BME inside grow tent working well. Works fine on full size also.

I use this setup:

https://lastminuteengineers.com/bme280-esp32-weather-station/

Offline Gareth79

Simply awesome. I love the DIY angle.

I have ESP Pico and BME inside grow tent working well. Works fine on full size also.

I use this setup:

https://lastminuteengineers.com/bme280-esp32-weather-station/

Thanks, it made me wonder if the style I bought is just a bit flakey, so I ordered one in that PCB style to see if it's better!

Today's work has been processing the raw signal data from the ceilometer to see if I can plot pretty graphs, and it works!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Like all those gadgets seems a few flakey or bogus things creep about. I try to stick with better retailers if not too costly. Or find super cheap and get three lol.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Wow ! Great project ! What is the 2nd picture ?

Offline Gareth79

Wow ! Great project ! What is the 2nd picture ?

Thanks!  Do you mean the photo with the PCB/wiring?  That is basically the control board where the various sensors connect to, the small PCB is an ESP32 microcontroller which runs the ESPHome software to process the data and pass it on.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Thanks but more specifically the round rings and what appears to be lenses ?

Offline cpufrost

That's a LIDAR, essentially a long range measuring device to determine cloud base height.

Neat stuff.

Offline Gareth79

Thanks but more specifically the round rings and what appears to be lenses ?

Oh you mean that picture, yes as mentioned it's a cloud ceilometer, it uses a laser to measure cloud heights (and depths).   You can see the outputs in the screenshot, also I posted a chart a few posts above showing the raw data.  I haven't had enough interesting clouds yet to figure out just how detailed an image it can produce.

Offline Sleuth255

I need one of those... 

edit:

Yikes! not cheap...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:29:56 PM by Sleuth255 »

Offline Gareth79

I need one of those... 

edit:

Yikes! not cheap...

Yeah... I paid £200 for mine off eBay, it was just a fluke that one was listed when I randomly looked too. It was listed as untested/condition unknown (the power connections are mil-spec bayonet things) so it was a gamble. 

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Gareth:
Where are you located?
You said you've not had enough 'interesting' clouds to test your ceilometer.  I can send you LOTS of clouds from here in the Midwest USA.

I assume you're in England from the price you paid for your ceilometer.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Juande

Hi!

Did you ever published this on GitHub? If yes, what is the repository?

Thanks!

Offline TheBushPilot

• Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
Dude this is awesome.

Bravo =D>
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson
"Do it right or don't do it at all."

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers