Author Topic: My ongoing project  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
My ongoing project
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
Hi all,

Just thought I would share a pic of my station, not finished yet but has been up and running for a few months ... W5COG / AV503

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

For those interested, it is a mix of instruments, all purchased used but good quality...Campbell Scientific CR1000 data logger, Young 05103 Wind Dir/Speed, Met One 092 Barometric Pressure, Vaisala HMP110 Temperature / Humidity via Modbus, OMC 212 Heated Bucket Rain Gauge and a LiCor LI-200R Pyranometer ... all connected to the web via Weather-Display software.

Regards,
Clarkey
Campbell Scientific CR1000 & Loggernet, Young 05103 Wind Dir/Speed, Met One 092 Baro Vaisala HMP110 Temp/Humidity, OMC 212 Heated Bucket Rain Gauge, LiCor LI-200R Pyranometer

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: My ongoing project
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
Ohhhh that is awesome!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 04:08:24 PM »
Nice, I wish I had more knowledge on how to do something like that.  When you say connected on the web where?
Randy

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments,

My webpage can be seen at...
https://w34.scottclarke.com/

My data is also uploaded via APRSWXNET/CWOP every 10 minutes, one place to see that is at...
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=AV503

Clarkey
Campbell Scientific CR1000 & Loggernet, Young 05103 Wind Dir/Speed, Met One 092 Baro Vaisala HMP110 Temp/Humidity, OMC 212 Heated Bucket Rain Gauge, LiCor LI-200R Pyranometer

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »
Nice set-up! You have really gathered up some great equipment.

Doug

Offline Mark Spencer

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
Really a great set up! For the website, is a third party hosting this ? I think weather 34 is a great template interested in learning how to do this for my set up (Davis Vantage Pro Plus) are you using a Purple Air for your air quality measurement ? And I agree you have a awesome collection of gear!
Davis 6163, Davis Airlink, PurpleAir, Meteobridge, Maximum wireless

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »
Hi Mark,
I do use a third party host  https://hosting.qth.com/  I am not affiliated in any way but will say that his hosting is reliable, cheap (starter package is more than enough) and easy to deal with. I basically use Weather Display software for local data collection/display and to generate/ftp upload my data to my hosted account in the form of a clientraw.txt file. There are a couple of cron jobs and a database on the host that take care of the W34 template data feed.
As I do not have an AQ sensor, it is a feed is from my nearest available professional system in Tulsa OK, this is setup in the W34 configuration. I am not too sure of the Davis data setup but if you send data to Wunderground already, I think W34 can be setup to retrieve from there. 

Just let me know if you want any further info or have any further questions...

Scott C.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »
Thanks for the link here from the question I asked about using Campbell dataloggers for gathering weather data.

My quest has been to have the do-it-all station, with sensors of my choosing rather than having a Davis, or a Texas Weather (which has been closest) or who knows what.  I have a variety of sensors I've collected and would like to have all my stuff gathering what I want.  The Davis seems closest, but isn't perfect although has the market share.  TWI went out of business, but was closest to doing what I wanted and with brick outhouse construction.  It wasn't easy to change from one wind sensor to another, or get a replacement solar sensor, for instance.

I love Weather Display and while Brian has written a lot of front ends to pull data in, it isn't as if you can have a station for almost everything, and then easily add a solar monitor or two.  And I still have some desire to know what order and how to format it into a serial string to read into the program.

That being said, your (Clarkey's) station seems to hit the sweet spot.

Can you elaborate on how the LAN connection reads a 'table' (which I assume is built in the CS on board memory) and then WD pulls it in over that connection?  I didn't think that WD could read anything but serial COM ports, but I'm no expert.  And I thought it liked to see a string of values, and assigned numbers to say the temperature in position four, wind speed 5, direction 6 and solar in position 9, for example.  Can WD be given a table and have it extract info from that?

I have a cheap web server (relatively) that I run Weather 34 for WD on, along with Fresh WDL and is basically fed from my home by WD sending clientraw (I think) via an API module.  Once the data are there, then Meteotemplate, FWDL and Weather 34 make all the magic happen, in additon to WD sending it's self generated page up for me to see.

I don't really care about sharing my data with WU or others, so I may be different from many here.

Is there more you can say about the final mile from the sensors, processed and zero crossed and linearity tweaked by the CR1000, where and how you store it internally, and how you go from that internal data to WD?  Is it over the LAN or did you hook an RS232 too your PC running WD?

I'm sure I'll have more to think about, but info you furnish to me will be more than I have now!
Thanks a bunch to the repliers and discussion so far.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »
Mark Spencer:

I have my various stations (about three or five depending on the day and how much fiddling I'm doing) being read by WD.  Then WD sends via the internet a string to a location on my web page server, where I point the various programs there to read the data.  I'm using MeteoTemplate from Jachym, FreshWDL, Weather 34 for WD and on my PC running WD, I use GraphWeather (written in French but an English version is available) to make the prettiest graphs you'll want to see depending upon how very basic you want to program things to be (and learn from studying other's templates since there is almost non-existant support and discussion and I don't read French).

I don't think that you'd have a problem, given a web server setup that is paid for since none of the free ones, even from my email supplier, seem to run things very well.  Clearly those who are much smarter than I am can use Saratoga and write their own or modify .php routines to do so much more, but this so far is good enough for me.

Have you given a look to setting up WD to feed a web page? Or don't you have a paid host yet?

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
Scott (or would you rather be called Clarkey?):

Re reading the info in your first post, you mention the Vaisala T/H prob is connected via ModBus.  I'm not sure what that is and why you need to do that rather than just grab data from the prob using CR1000 programming and routines. 

Can you elaborate?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »
Sort of a slough of questions here, but you implied that more on the setup could be had at your webpage, but when I went to w34.... I got the graphic the software generates, but no additional links to places that describe you sensors and the ModBus and ? RunBus that you alluded to.  Is there an info page on your site that I may study?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:24 PM »
Hi Dale,

Either Scott or Clarkey is fine...  [tup]
On the webpage, if you click on 'menu' up on the top left there is a drop down with a lot of links...nearer the bottom is a link called 'my Station Info'. I put some pages for the equipment there.
I use ModBus (an industrial protocol) as I came across a bunch of cheap Vaisala HMP110 probes (nice and quite accurate) that were digital only (ModBus protocol) and without analog output ... fortunately I am a control systems engineer and use ModBus often. I poll the probe with the CR1000 and it places the results in the memory tables like any other data it collects. The programming of the CR1000 is very simple and takes very little time using the free CS 'Short Cut' software ... you can customize most any type of probe but the most common ones are built for you already.
The data is read over a TCP ethernet link with an NL120 card on the CR1000, WD has a setup for this called cronpakbusnew. I will try to attach a small diagram of my setup, if it is not clear enough, I will have to create another when I am at work tomorrow and upload then.

Scott (Clarkey)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:52:50 AM by Clarkey »

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
Great setup, beautiful and simple webpage!
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline pabloako

• Weather Forum Australia
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 05:36:14 AM »
Agree.  What a great setup and nice and secure.  From the image it looks to be a perfect location too.
(Sadly mine is too close to a large tree, but I concreted it in, so it will have to stay there now)

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »
Lots of changes this past year, mostly software ... I will follow up with the info over Christmas, in the meantime, here's a nice winter photo from earlier today

Stay safe all,
Clarkey

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 09:29:26 PM »
Nice set up. More descriptions of good installs continue to inspire.

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 12:01:17 AM »
Hi all,

I have made many changes over the past 6 months or so and wanted to share a little to shown my progress to date. I have totally re-written the CR1000 data logger code to make it more functional and robust. In doing so, I decided to move away from WD for various reasons and splashed out and invested ... and I do mean invest  :shock: ... in Loggernet by Campbell Scientific. I really do like the software for it's functionality, flexibility and operational robustness ...

I rewired my weather station logger box, grounding has been added since this photo ...also added solar power for the station and wifi

Developed a set of new display screens for myself using RTMC .... overview shown as an example

Modified the data logger software to upload CWOP (MesoWest) and my website directly from the CR1000 ... including using a modified clientraw format to take advantage of the W34 webpage template

It has been operating well for the past 6 months, with many tweaks spurred on by another member during the development of his station ... BertSP
I am happy with the progress to date, a few things still to do but overall very functional ... not a cheap station by any means, but all used, good quality equipment.

Let me know what you think or want further info ...

Best Regards,
Scott (Clarkey)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:58:43 PM by Clarkey »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 09:33:21 AM »
You mentioned you took on a complete rewrite of the datalogger code.

So far, I've only used the canned code that the quick set up allows with the CS package.

Did you streamline your code?  An optimization?  Redundancy?  Could you expand on what you did (I assume in CRBasic) to do what the canned routines do not?

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »
Hi Dale,

The CS Shortcut package is great for a basic setup of measuring and storing but once you start into custom functions (CWOP upload for example), CR Basic is much more suited to this.
Calculations, 2of3 logic (for redundant sensors), data upload with the TCP stack or FTP are all more easily handled in CR Basic, this is much of what I did. The station runs/uploads without a PC now and if Loggernet is not running for some reason, upon it's next startup, retrieves all data since it's last poll ...

Clarkey

Offline ivano

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments,

My webpage can be seen at...
https://w34.scottclarke.com/

My data is also uploaded via APRSWXNET/CWOP every 10 minutes, one place to see that is at...
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=AV503

Clarkey
il tuo template è molto simile al mio :) http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/  =D> [tup]
1)3 gw1000 +1 GW2000
2)hp2551
3)ws80
4)ws68
5)2 wh32 EP
6)5 wh31 EP
7)2 meteoschield pro 3° gen
8)1 Fars meteoshield pro 3° gen
9) davis 7714 Black
10)wh40
11)schermo solare RAD-14 Metspec
12)schermo solare RAD-02 Metspec
13)Meteorain 200 compact (Barani)
14)davis ventilato h24
15) Davis vp2 pro ventilata
16) GW1001 ecowitt
17) Wittboy ecowitt
18)schermo solare  Comet system da Cometeo
template http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/
webcam :https://rtsp.me/embed/tRhazi3z/
http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
Scott,
I like your layout and information as presented by the W34 PWS formatting page.

If you've moved away from WD, then how are you feeding this program with clientraw-like data?  Did you just figure out what order and types of values to FTP to that directory on your server and go with that?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2020, 05:31:43 PM »
I did a few things Dale ...
 - Modified the W34 php code somewhat to accept my new data format (similar to clientraw but much shorter) positions and delimiter
 - Made a table in the CR1000 with the values and order in which I wanted them, then added a slow programme cycle in the CR1000 to FTP the table entries to my webhost every 5 mins (could be anything really) ... nothing real tricky

Scott