Author Topic: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page  (Read 16727 times)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
Weather.com doesn't require hundreds of thousands of personally owned stations and doesn't require time and effort to keep a knowledgeable community happy

You may not have noticed it if you don't go there often, but the WU PWS data is very much being used on weather.com, and without any credit or attribution.

Woooha! Thanks for that little surprise!
You are right I would dare to say that 90% of us don't go to weather.com.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
Weather.com doesn't require hundreds of thousands of personally owned stations and doesn't require time and effort to keep a knowledgeable community happy

You may not have noticed it if you don't go there often, but the WU PWS data is very much being used on weather.com, and without any credit or attribution.

Wow. Yea, didn't notice that. Legally speaking I don't think they have to give any credit since I'm 90% sure us uploading to IBM means they own that data and can do with it as they please, but it's definitely a d*ck move. Also, that interface looks terrible. At least on mobile, don't turn on all the PWS options cuz they all overlap each other.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »

Wow. Yea, didn't notice that. Legally speaking I don't think they have to give any credit since I'm 90% sure us uploading to IBM means they own that data and can do with it as they please, but it's definitely a d*ck move. Also, that interface looks terrible. At least on mobile, don't turn on all the PWS options cuz they all overlap each other.
Don't know if its just me but checking out weather.com on my laptop, it was very unresponsive...trying to click on the map to add layers etc.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline cmg

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »

Don't know if its just me but checking out weather.com on my laptop, it was very unresponsive...trying to click on the map to add layers etc.
Hi
My Android app, WeatherStation does not updates anymore the weather from WU and see no other wu weather stations.
Regards

Enviado do meu SM-G903F através do Tapatalk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »
Let's see how long WU survives without data
Unfortunately, if you upload to CWOP, they'll steal your data anyway.

I have not seen my data on WU in several months and I upload to CWOP. I have not uploaded to WU in over 3 years, and have not missed them at all.

Good riddance.
Yeah, honestly all I hear is "we're doing this, we're doing that" but nothing happens. It's not like this has only been a month or two.
I pulled the plug last night on WU and have no intention of returning, sad too, I've been with them for 8 years or so even though I haven't used them much the past few years.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »

I just zoomed in on the maps with PWS wind and temps.  I can say for sure my area is data from Wunderground.  I have one neighbor that is only posting to WUnderground, not CWOP.  And his pin is showing.  So Weather.com is getting data from WU.  They are sharing for sure. 
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2019, 05:15:48 PM »
Good Bye WU.... YOU were good....once.......Last one out don't forget to turn out the lights.......

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
Good Bye WU.... YOU were good....once.......Last one out don't forget to turn out the lights.......

Best quote ever.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
When did they add rain and pressure decimals to the new PWS pages?

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:39 PM »

I just zoomed in on the maps with PWS wind and temps.  I can say for sure my area is data from Wunderground.  I have one neighbor that is only posting to WUnderground, not CWOP.  And his pin is showing.  So Weather.com is getting data from WU.  They are sharing for sure.

They are the same company so they better be sharing.  From Wikipedia: "The Weather Company is a weather forecasting and information technology company that owns and operates weather.com, intellicast.com, and Weather Underground. The Weather Company is a subsidiary of the Watson & Cloud Platform business unit of IBM."
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2019, 08:21:25 PM »

They are the same company so they better be sharing.  From Wikipedia: "The Weather Company is a weather forecasting and information technology company that owns and operates weather.com, intellicast.com, and Weather Underground. The Weather Company is a subsidiary of the Watson & Cloud Platform business unit of IBM."

We new that :)
What we did not know is that they were sharing data. We thought they kept the data separated and use cwop instead...

----

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
As great as a boycott of sending data would be, there are many times more users out there that have bought a $100 weather station (not saying anything's wrong with those) and their only experience with WU is typing in the station ID and password on their little display console. They never only did it cuz it was an option during setup, and the only reason they bought their station was so they could see their data on a screen inside their house. These are the people that make up the vast bulk of the WU PWS owners, and these are the people that don't even know of the atrocities being committed against all PWS owners.

They may also be glued to TWC because they show local station readings occasionally and they may get to see theirs on TV, expecially during the WU segment at night.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »
As great as a boycott of sending data would be, there are many times more users out there that have bought a $100 weather station (not saying anything's wrong with those) and their only experience with WU is typing in the station ID and password on their little display console. They never only did it cuz it was an option during setup, and the only reason they bought their station was so they could see their data on a screen inside their house. These are the people that make up the vast bulk of the WU PWS owners, and these are the people that don't even know of the atrocities being committed against all PWS owners.

They may also be glued to TWC because they show local station readings occasionally and they may get to see theirs on TV, expecially during the WU segment at night.

Really! I had no idea. I'll have to look for my weather station on TV. Does anyone have any screenshots of what that looks like?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »
I've been sending WU data for many years.  There have seen several outages on their end, and several on mine during that time.  WU has gone through many changes during that time.

I remember when it was a small operation and the help desk was truly helpful.  But the proliferation of home weather stations and the buyouts and layoffs of WU has changed it a lot.

I don't have a fancy website that uses a lot of codes and stuff.  Just mainly NWS radars and my weather station.  I use a UW sticker for rapid fire indication, with links to WU and PWS weather.

My biggest complaint is that I used to have a webcam but it doesn't work now.  I've tried FTP, and I tried sending it to my website and having WU take it from there but neither work.

They've tried to turn WU into a social media site , and I think that's getting away from their core mission.

Originally, WU was a good site with a worthwhile mission.  Now I feel like their purposeless and they are floundering around.  I hope they get it back on track.  And I hope those of you with complicated sites are able to get your info from WU again someday.

I'll keep sending in my data just to keep the sticker on my website and this forum signature sticker keeps working.  But I'll use pws weather and others for important information.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »

Really! I had no idea. I'll have to look for my weather station on TV. Does anyone have any screenshots of what that looks like?

The schedule shows that from 5:00 to 8:00 pm the show is called Weather Underground.  It usually has Mike Bettis and Alex Witt or Wilson or something like that.  I only turn it on when there's severe weather happening.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
I'm just glad I did put WeatherDisplay on my PC.  I was able to import all of my old data from my VWS days through the WU importer.  VWS import wasn't working well.  But the WU import did.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
The truth is (gladly) that most services these days have an open-source free alternative - Google Maps vs Openstreetmaps/Leaflet, Windows/Linux, Office / LibreOffice....

It would be nice to create some kind of free, open-source service, similar to WU in its functionality.

The only problem I see is that I am 100% sure together we would be able to create a very good, nice-looking functional website, however this is probably the easier part. The complicated part is the nature of such website - the fact that it would need to collect huge amount of data very frequently, i.e. the HW requirements would be huge... and thats the issue I see in trying such project.

This really is not something that you could run on a home server with one simple backup.... if you wanted to scale it.

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2019, 04:48:42 PM »
Jáchym that would be a cool idea. Obviously without as many users but a site that caters to people that are more serious. As you say the overhead maybe over our heads. But I think that's a great idea.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
I agree..... It would take a great deal of computer storage and huge bandwidth to handle such an endeavor. Also creating and buying a good domain name would be crucial also....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2019, 06:01:50 PM »
It would be nice to create some kind of free, open-source service, similar to WU in its functionality.

The only problem I see is that I am 100% sure together we would be able to create a very good, nice-looking functional website, however this is probably the easier part. The complicated part is the nature of such website - the fact that it would need to collect huge amount of data very frequently, i.e. the HW requirements would be huge... and thats the issue I see in trying such project.

This really is not something that you could run on a home server with one simple backup.... if you wanted to scale it.

Hey Jachym, this below was posted yesterday on the previous page. No idea if he's serious or not, or if it even means anything viable for that matter.

I am down for doing something on our own. We need servers? I got them! How many?  :twisted:

I just went and check my stock. I got 4 IBM (HAHAHA the irony!) x3650 fully populated with 12TB SAS and 96GB of RAM. Dual Xeons 16 Cores.
They are sitting in a rack doing nothing. Let put this bad boys to work!

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2019, 06:32:26 PM »
Imagine a system that is built for this AND can output analyses in near-real-time, while ingesting thousands of data points per second.  It's scalable in AWS and Azure.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-geoevent-server

You'd probably need to build an open source version from the ground up.  Maybe there's a university in Asia or Europe willing to put up the funding for such an endeavor.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:44:52 PM by konz »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2019, 07:56:53 PM »
there are other places already available for your data
e.g
http://www.pwsweather.com

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2019, 10:17:25 AM »
Thanks, I'd forgotten that I've been sending data there and didn't realize that they've made the history available.  Mine is only back to 2011, but that's probably when they began the effort.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »
I'm not knocking WU-hoo or the folks with a gripe against them.  It's kind of a "Smith and Jones" thing, or maybe a "Hatfields and McCoys" kind f thing.  Just not a lot of trust and touchy-feely between the two parties.

Yeah, WU is using user data for other purposes other than just on WU.  And yeah, WU has changed a bunch of stuff that screws a lot of stuff up.  And the weathercams just don't seem to work or be as reliable as they used to be.  And yeah, some of us PWS owners are po'd about it all and say/infer irreverent things about WU, kind of a natural human response.  And yeah (again), "reps" from WU come on the forum and say a few things about moving forward and "we're here for you" kind of things.  Then some of us users here on the forum state some issues and demonstrate frustration...frustration which seems to come from a definite lack of communications from WU in the past.  And yeah, the WU "reps" have too thin of a skin and once they hear the discontent they ghost the people that they have prompted a response from.  Until the WU people grow some thicker skin and weather the initial firestorm of messages that follows their initial post I don't think there will be much, if any, constructive conversation here on WXForum between PWS owners and WU.  It just ain't gonna happen.

I will say this, though, when I read the original un-stickied post by WonderTodd/Wut I took exception to this statement that he made..."Any similar behavior displayed in other threads will be forwarded to moderators for their consideration."  Ok, so rather than deal with the negativity he's going to be whining to the moderators?  That's really manning up to the job.<sigh>

I'm been indignant a few times and stopped my feed going to WU.  I'm currently uploading data to WU-hoo and have been for quiet a while now.  No biggie.  It might help them iron things out in their system...probably not, though, being as I think they're just using my data for marketing rather than system maintenance/repair.  I stopped rapid-fire a long time ago....  They can take the data or leave.  Seems, though, that my WU page works pretty well, though I don't have a weathercam uploading to them...and I honestly don't look at it but maybe...once every month or two?  ;)  I'll just let the data keep flowing...unless the threat of reporting me to a moderator rubs me raw after a while...I'm about over WU's weak presence here, so who knows?

We can discuss WU till the cows come home and it's not gonna make a whole lot of difference to WU.  They're going to do what they're going to do...simple.  They may dangle a carrot once in a while and it's up to us whether we try to get a bite of it, we each have that choice.  What you do with your PWS and how, or if, you present it to "John Q. Public" is entirely, and I repeat, entirely up to you.  You control your station.  You either send data to a host site...or you don't.  If you elect to send the data you can do so either happily or begrudgingly.  Bottom line is that you own your PWS and control what you do or do not do with it.  If you hand your data off to a third-party then you've handed it over, it's out of your hands, and the receiving entity can do with it as they wish...the cow will have gone through the gate and *isn't* coming back home.  It's your PWS and your data, and your choice on what happens with both.  If WU works for you, cool!  If it doesn't, well, there's other options. ;)

So WU-HOOOOO!!!!  That's my deranged, discombobulated rant for the morning!!!  [tup]  Now, to my meds....
(No offense intended to the PWS owners, WU, nor to the Smith and Jones, nor to the Hatfields and McCoys...or the cows.)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2019, 03:58:52 PM »
Like I said before, I personally don't care for the new redesign. But seriously, how hard is it to implement decimals for the temperature? Why did you release this new layout before you have something as simple as that implemented? I would even end my boycott if you would just give us the OPTION to use the old layout until these features are properly added. Hell, it doesn't even have to be the default and I'd be happy. But I also have to say, the fact that WU representatives haven't replied to this at all since the topic has been unlocked is seriously eroding the last little bit of faith I had left in you... Every day that goes by without so much as the tiniest response makes it less and less likely for me to consider returning to Wunderground even if they do add decimals back. At least just give us some type of response like "our website is so broken decimals are our last priority and they won't be added for years." Or "IBM laid off 90% of the Wunderground devs, so you are lucky we can keep the site running at all." Because right now, it looks like you just don't care and aren't even trying anymore. But please, prove me wrong. I personally don't mind that my data is being shared with TWC and IBM and whoever else. I also really miss the RapidFire updates. But until I hear anything, I'm done. I probably should re-read this rant, fix up the order, and add some paragraphs, but I'm sure no-one important will read it anyway, so who cares. Based on what I've seen from the WU reps lately, I've already put more effort into this post than they have put into posting on this board lately.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12