Author Topic: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?  (Read 167676 times)

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Re: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2010, 01:19:10 AM »
I know that Davis have denied that they will ever make any additional sensors for the Vue ie, UV, but was wondering if those contacts could be used to power any aftermarket equipment.

Alan.
Alan

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2010, 02:56:07 AM »
I know that Davis have denied that they will ever make any additional sensors for the Vue ie, UV, but was wondering if those contacts could be used to power any aftermarket equipment.

I've absolutely no way of knowing for sure, but I doubt that the Vue ISS is designed to be expandable at all. If you look at the ISS then there's no obvious place for any ancillary sensors to be mounted. Compare this with the VP2 where the mounting shelf/bracket and its mounting points designed into the rain gauge base provides space for both solar and UV sensors. And sensor connections would presumably need to go to the SIM not elsewhere, but there's no provision for any extra sensor plugs on the SIM beyond those already provided.

I would guess that Davis long-term intend to maintain a clear separation between Vue and VP2/3 (not that there's any news whatsoever about a VP3, but it will presumably happen at some point) with the Vue positioned as a non-expandable station and VP2/3 as the much more flexible/expandable option. Even if they did change their mind on Vue expandibility and allow the addition of eg solar/UV then maybe this would be done via a supplementary transmitter. Just supposing for instance that you were also allowed to attach solar/UV to the 6332 Anemometer Transmitter, whose use is already an option on the Vue and which would be a clear step forwards on the VP2. This would only require a change to Vue console firmware and not a radical overhaul to the Vue ISS design.

But I'm just musing here, based on zero hard information.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
Thanks John.

Alan.
Alan

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »

Alan.

I agree with johnd - for different reasons.  Those contacts are not designed to have anything permanently connected to them.  And given the purpose, it's likely that they are something like: Power, Ground, Data Out, and "Turn On Transmitter" - or something like that.  Just not enough pins (I think) to be intended for any "data in" purpose.

Offline justme2justme2

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »
I'm on my  third battery in 9 months.  Called Davis and through working with their tech I found a defective solar panel.  No problem though, Davis is shipping a new one and I just have to replace the bad one.  To check the solar cell I removed it from the unit and detached the wires  then in full sunlight checked the voltage with a vom.  Zero volts.
Hope this helps someone out there.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2010, 12:45:52 AM »
I'm on my  third battery in 9 months.  Called Davis and through working with their tech I found a defective solar panel.  No problem though, Davis is shipping a new one and I just have to replace the bad one.  To check the solar cell I removed it from the unit and detached the wires  then in full sunlight checked the voltage with a vom.  Zero volts.
Hope this helps someone out there.

Will remember that, thanks.

Alan.
Alan

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
...update on my situation,,,,called Davis tonight to check on the grease and battery they were to send me.  Found out they hadn't shipped it yet. :-(  After I further explained how the green light on my unit stayed on all the time, we checked the battery (in and out) and confirmed it was dead.  I moved the unit indoors since it would only work now during the daylight.  Davis then decided to send me a new ISS.  :grin:  Once received I will send back the dead one. 

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2010, 02:08:45 AM »
...update on my situation,,,,called Davis tonight to check on the grease and battery they were to send me.  Found out they hadn't shipped it yet. :-(  After I further explained how the green light on my unit stayed on all the time, we checked the battery (in and out) and confirmed it was dead.  I moved the unit indoors since it would only work now during the daylight.  Davis then decided to send me a new ISS.  :grin:  Once received I will send back the dead one. 

You are lucky to be getting a new one. Here in the UK my supplier has refused to send me a replacement, but have only offered a repair, which I have refused due to the fact that it is only 7 months old and still under warranty. At the moment mine is working fine, but Murphy's law says that it will cause problems again the day after the warranty has expired.  :evil: I have contacted Davis on a number of occasions, but to date have had no positive reply, or offer of help. Quite frankly I find the whole scenario a joke.

Alan.
Alan

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
well I received the replacement Vue.  I installed it yesterday and all went well.  It seems to be working fine.  No rain yet.  I did notice that it came with the 'grease' already smeared over the contact points. :?

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »
My unit is working fine since I completed the Davis authorized dielectric grease modification.  We'll see how long the battery lasts. 

Offline Shell

« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
I'm already on my SECOND Vue. *sigh* My first one failed - the ISS was bad - could not communicate with the console. Now, with the replacement I recieved 3 days ago (which took them 10 days to get it to me), today started getting the "low battery" message on the console...obviously the same problem as everyone is having here. My Pro2, which served me so well, through the brutal winters and rough (tornadic) springs and summers for over 10 yrs. here in St. Louis, finally wore out. It had only a single repair during all those years! I'd seen a lot about the Vue and didn't think I needed all the sensors and addons any longer that I had on the Pro2, so I bought the Vue. Since putting it up, it's been "down" more than "up" and I'm extremely unhappy about it! Davis has a great station with the Pro2 and I fully expected the Vue to be as reliable - instead I can't keep it up and running for more than 48 hrs. or so without something breaking down. Not sure if they're going to be in tomorrow but if they are, they're going to get an earfull. I'm not going to be rude - just clear about how I feel about the Vue and will ask them what they're going to do about it. I don't want a weather station I can't depend on. At this point I want to go back to the Pro2.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »
I, too, am  still exchanging emails with Davis re the Vue battery problem. My latest email was sent yesterday (Sunday) with a link to this thread and suggested that they read every post on the subject, will keep you posted with what they say.

Alan.
Alan

Offline Sartori

« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
Got my battery low message this morning, only been installed a few months. So whats the status on this problem? Do we just keep replacing batteries till they fix it?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2010, 10:34:36 AM »
Got my battery low message this morning, only been installed a few months. So whats the status on this problem? Do we just keep replacing batteries till they fix it?

How long is "a few months"?

What is your status with the grease?

Offline Sartori

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

I guess its been up and running now for 3 months. I have no status on the grease:) I shouldn't have to "grease" my weather station:)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »

I guess its been up and running now for 3 months. I have no status on the grease:) I shouldn't have to "grease" my weather station:)

Perhaps not.  But if you had bothered to read previous postings in this thread, you would know about the grease and wouldn't have to waste other folks' time asking for the "status on this problem".  

Also, you might try answering the question that I asked you (June 17th) in  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8007.30
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:35:24 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Sartori

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »

Perhaps not.  But if you had bothered to read previous postings in this thread, you would know about the grease and wouldn't have to waste other folks' time asking for the "status on this problem".  

Also, you might try answering the question that I asked you (June 17th) in  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8007.30

Geez dude, lighten up a little...notice the smiley faces at the end of my sentences:) I was just wondering if Davis had a better fix other then smearing grease on a circuit board. Notice the e-mail above my post and I quote:

"I, too, am  still exchanging emails with Davis re the Vue battery problem. My latest email was sent yesterday (Sunday) with a link to this thread and suggested that they read every post on the subject, will keep you posted with what they say."

If you feel I'm wasting your time don't respond to my posts!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »
I noticed that the "email" you quoted was from July 5th - two weeks ago.  And the grease is an excellent fix, which avoids having to send the Vue back in for replacement.  Please let us know if it does not fix your problem.

Please be helpful to others in the future, by responding to my June 17th question about your rainfall readings,  at:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8007.30
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:12:31 PM by dalecoy »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2010, 02:22:18 AM »
I must confess that since I did a complete power down and reset of the ISS about six weeks ago I have had no further problems, time will tell. I am reluctant at the moment to apply grease to the terminals. In my opinion this could cause it's own problems, IE attracting dust, bugs and debris.

If Davis choose to do nothing to solve "my" issue and I have a recurrence, I shall apply a small piece of insulation tape in the hope that will prevent moisture ingress, or find a none corrosive silicone sealant.

Alan
Alan

Offline bbowers

• Traffic Surgeon
  • Contributor
    • Country Knolls - Ballston Lake, NY
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
Just wanted to report I got my Vue a few weeks ago and it came with the specialty goop on the board already. Definitely resembled hot glue, but was surely the dielectric grease.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Offline 54november

« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
My Vantage Vue is only a few weeks old and I am getting the low transmitter battery message. Called Davis and they said it runs a diagnostic at midnight and will clear this if it's not real. It did but now a couple of days later it's back and I can't clear it. I asked if this was a known problem and he said some people have gotten the message and then tested the battery and it was at 3V. It's really irritating to pay this much (I trashed a LaCrosse due to their problems), and then go through this. I'll call again Monday before going up on the roof because I don't really think it is the battery. BTW, it's been in full sun since it went up. The manufacturing date is June 2, 2010.

Offline turnbuj

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and like previous post, I have had my Vantage Vue for about 2 weeks and it's been working fine. Now I have a Low Battery message. I have two consoles and the message is on both so the problem has to be with the ISS. It's been in full sun since being installed. The weather shop told me that there had been a problem, something to do with moisture getting in somewhere but should have been solved on my model. They are sending me a new battery. To avoid too many climbs on the roof, I will wait till I get the new battery then replace it and check the voltage of the present one. It looks like I'm not alone in this problem. Will keep you all posted. - John

Offline krisp

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2010, 12:26:12 PM »
I have had my Vue for a little over a week now and on the second day it displayed the low battery warning. Yesterday afternoon it stopped transmitting all together, but resumed transmitting after dark. I went up and swapped out the battery this morning and the original battery read 3.00 volts. I replaced it anyway with a 3.3v-measured new battery. The sealant everyone is talking about was already applied to the programming contacts on my unit and the LED was not flashing when I was up there.

I emailed support and they suggested I open a case -- I'm waiting to see if it recurs. Disappointing to say the least, though, as I expected quality from the Davis name.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:01 PM »
It has to be a bad batch of something, I've had my Vue since October of last year without the first problem. It could just be a bad batch of batteries they're using.

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
It has to be a bad batch of something, I've had my Vue since October of last year without the first problem. It could just be a bad batch of batteries they're using.
It seems rather unlikely, I don't think I ever hasd a 'bad' battery in decades.
If they have been delivered bad ones they need to look into who they get them from urgently as it reflects very badly on Davis.