Author Topic: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?  (Read 166933 times)

Offline Coldfront

• Southern Ontario Canada
Re: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
 It's been 8 months since Davis suggested the grease fix and acting on it and I'm pleased to report all is well. The Vue has not faltered. I did a firmware update in December '10 for the Vue console that included a fix for low battery reporting from the ISS transmitter to check the battery strength status over a longer period of time.

I replaced the ISS battery in October '10 and lightly reapplied the grease on the pins again. The old battery strength was 2.9vdc. There were no bugs, soil etc. or apparent deterioration of the grease previously applied save for it flattening out against the battery casing.

Other than this issue the Vue has worked flawlessly for 14 months now. I do wonder what the life expectancy is for a weather station of this type. I hope to get a long life out of it as does everyone who purchases this type of apparatus.

Cheers 

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
In theory, all Davis stations should last a lifetime. They are not cheap labor or cheap price not made in china. Proudly made in the USA.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
In theory, all Davis stations should last a lifetime. They are not cheap labor or cheap price not made in china. Proudly made in the USA.
They are probably assembled in the USA, but the parts most likely come from China.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »
THis discussion has happened already - not Made in USA.  Sorry.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
THis discussion has happened already - not Made in USA.  Sorry.
Get your facts right. My circuit board on mine says made and assembled in the USA! And thats the circuit board parts.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »

Ummmm....

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
I was checking the outdoor transmitter board. I do not know about the console board...
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »
Eventually, the outdoor temp/hum sensor may need to be replaced, depending on your proximity to salt air. And, depending on your local rainfall, the bearing points on the tipper may wear from round to oblong, requiring a new tipper. I had that problem on an original VP. It wore just enough that the magnet in the bucket and its attraction to the reed switch created a third, level stable postion for the tipper.

Dunno how the aluminized buckets in a VP2 will fare.

It's all maintenance...

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
I was checking the outdoor transmitter board. I do not know about the console board...

Given DeKay's photo Davis cannot legally state that they are "Made in the USA".
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
The latest Davis Catalog I have says: " Our weather stations are assembled and tested right here in Hayward, California"

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »

Ummmm....

Do you want a Japanese car built in Canada by Mexican labor, a European car built in India by Pakistani labor or an American car built in Japan with Taiwanese labor......or however that joke goes....

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
The latest Davis Catalog I have says: " Our weather stations are assembled and tested right here in Hayward, California"

Maybe - but that is NOT  "Made in the USA".  Welcome to the Marketing Department.  The short bus will be leaving for the gift shop in 5 minutes.

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
Bought and installed my Vue in Oct. '10. In the middle of Dec. I received the low battery transmitter warning message. Went up on the roof took the station down and tested the battery and it tested great. Nonetheless I put in a new battery and within 12 hrs the low battery warning msg went away.

Last week, the infamous message reappeared, went back to the roof, tested battery, tested great. This time I put the same battery back in, within 12hrs, the messgae was gone again.

I noticed each time that I did get the messgae my station would stop reporting at about 3 or 4am and would start backup as soon as the sun hit the station.

Im very interested to see how the dielectric grease solution works out for you FortWhite. It sounds like this might be a fairly commom problem with at least a large batch of Vue's?

I must say my last 2 large ticket purchases have been a bit frustarting with issues. My Vue works great except for this battery issue and the screen on my new 55" tv works great except when it periodically freezes up. Gotta love technology!!! LOL

They sent me some replacement parts, but I was uncomfortable installing them, and then possibly having an issue with it based upon an unqualified tech (me) messing with it.  I sent the whole ISS back to them and they replaced it.  The newer one has been fine for a couple months.

Offline FaxCap

« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Years ago when Zenith was a top selling TV builder their major selling point was "Hand wired".
Then it was leaked to the Press the only thing "hand wired" was the power cord.

It's amazing what companies can get away with.  :grin:

FaxCap

Offline k0dmf

« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »
Seems like there is still an issue. I have had mine since the end of April and unit has the latest firmware and gel on the contacts. I am still getting the Low Battery message. It is definitely NOT the battery. I guess it's time to talk to Davis about it. I might just run a 3v power supply to it, since I have AC available on the tower it is installed on.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
I might just run a 3v power supply to it, since I have AC available on the tower it is installed on.

Now that's one thing that is missing from the Vue ISS is an external power connector.

Offline clweb

« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
I had also a "Battery low" on a sunny day. It disappeared in the evening and came back the next day.
I tested the battery: it was OK.  A little cleaning of the battery contacts, put the battery back and no problem again (was a month ago).

Offline rfs1

« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »
 vue is year old. been having issues with the low battery warning. Finally called Davis tech. support.  They are sending a new board.  Any suggestions for the install would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
rfs1

Offline dcutter1

« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »
I had also a "Battery low" on a sunny day. It disappeared in the evening and came back the next day.
I tested the battery: it was OK.  A little cleaning of the battery contacts, put the battery back and no problem again (was a month ago).

My unit was new Dec 1, 2010.  I have had the "low battery on station 1" message off and on now for more than a month.  Tried replacing the battery but that did not solve the issue.  I have emailed the tech people but no help yet.  This week will be a telephone campaign to their tech dept.  Other than the low battery message the unit has run flawlessly.  Just gets the stupid message.  I replaced a 40 year old Heath Kit weather station with the Davis.  The old Heath did not have all the extras of the modern Davis but it has been on my roof for 40 years and still runs.  I will post again after I get answers from Davis.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
My unit was new Dec 1, 2010.

Is that before or after they came up with the grease fix?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »

As far as I am concerned any new battery/s being installed should have both terminals smeared and this idea has been around way longer than the Vue.

One would hope nobody installs any battery without doing this first?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »

As far as I am concerned any new battery/s being installed should have both terminals smeared and this idea has been around way longer than the Vue.

That's not the "grease fix" being referred to.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »

That's not the "grease fix" being referred to.

Oh silly me  :-)

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
Wish I had seen this earlier.  I purchased a Vantage Vue in late May of 2011.  So far it is operating flawlessly and I fully expect it to continue that way.  This is my third DI weather station.  I started with a Wizard II in late 1994.  It now records the temps. on my main floor and basement, while a Wireless Monitor II purchased in 2003 records all the outside data and the upstairs temperature.  I equipped the Monitor II with a 24 hour FARS and a rain collector heater.  It reports to CWOP and WU.  I had to replace the FARS fan after five years and am still on the original ISS battery.

I am retired and spend two to three months a year camped at some lakes in northern Colorado where I fly fish for trout.  I purchased the Vue to be able to temporarily mount it on the trailer while I am camped, in order to try and figure out how various weather changes affect the fishing.  When I am home, it is mounted within five feet of the Monitor II and I am amazed at how close the two readings are.

If I ever have to replace the Monitor II,  it will be with a Vantage Pro, not the Vue, even though I am, so far, very impressed with the Vue.

Having only had the Vue in operation for less than two months, I'm not sure I should be posting on this thread, but so be it.  I just needed to express my opinion on Davis products.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:16 AM »
Mine is STILL going strong after a year and nine months. Same battery.  :-)

anything