Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 PLUS with FARS  (Read 1624 times)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Davis Vantage Pro 2 PLUS with FARS
« on: June 28, 2022, 11:46:16 AM »
Team,

Is been a while, and health has not been nice to me. But I am back :D
I am now available to do maintenance to my system and I notice my Fan is out. Is there a replacement for the fan I can buy?

Also is there a third-party display I can use with Davis? I ask because I want to use a smaller display in an area where the conventional display does not fit.

Glad to have energy to be back!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:49:50 AM by txweather.org »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 PLUS with FARS
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 02:02:56 PM »
I got a new fan for mine 3 or 4 years ago at Rainmanweather I think.
Original lasted around 3 years.

As far as a display, there's a couple discussions here someplace, with PWS display apps
that have been made. Something like WeatherWizz or a few others mentioned and made by members here.
I forget what the others are, sorry.
Tony

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »
Complete replacement fans are available.  Here are two sources but there are others.
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/radiation-shield-parts/davis-7758-standard-motor-kit-for-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/
https://www.davisinstruments.com/products/standard-motor-kit-for-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield

Or, you can replace the just the motor with these https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html
It has been reported that these run 100-200 RPM slower than the original but several people have used these as replacement motors.  If you search this forum for Jameco you will find the discussions.  The motors are cheap but the shipping can be high for one motor.  I bought 5 of these motors a few years back to make the shipping cost per unit more economical.  I use them to rebuild and rotate two fan assemblies as needed.
Eric

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 10:39:53 PM »
Team,

I am now available to do maintenance to my system and I notice my Fan is out. Is there a replacement for the fan I can buy?

Also is there a third-party display I can use with Davis? I ask because I want to use a smaller display in an area where the conventional display does not fit.

Are you sure your fan has died? Did you check the integrity of the solar panel, quality of connections (using a volt meter), dirt or mud on the blades, etc.,etc.? No sense in getting a new fan only to learn it is something else. Replacement fans (and most all other parts for Davis stations) are available from Scaled Instruments as another poster stated—and its owner, Ryan Wilhour, stands behind what he sells.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 10:48:14 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »
Got it, thanks team. Yes the fan died it was making a loud noise than suddenly quit. I will do a full tear down and do further investigation.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 04:18:40 PM »
Team,

Are you sure your fan has died? Did you check the integrity of the solar panel, quality of connections (using a volt meter), dirt or mud on the blades, etc.,etc.? No sense in getting a new fan only to learn it is something else. Replacement fans (and most all other parts for Davis stations) are available from Scaled Instruments as another poster stated—and its owner, Ryan Wilhour, stands behind what he sells.

Today I took the time to take it apart and I was able to make it come back to life. my solar panels need some serious cleaning and polishing :(

----

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 05:47:58 PM »
Team,

Today I took the time to take it apart and I was able to make it come back to life. my solar panels need some serious cleaning and polishing :(

What did you use to clean and polish your solar panels? I probably should do likewise. Glad you didn’t need to replace the fan—but keep Scaled Instruments in mind for parts for your Davis pws should the need arise.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:50:45 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 07:41:31 PM »
Team,

Speaking from experience, your fan will die again, and sooner than later. Also, my solar panel was completely hazed over when I deleted it (about ten years old), but it still was putting out  ~2.4 vdc, which is about full voltage when new IIRC. Even Davis says the haze does not affect the panel as much as one would think.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 01:19:40 AM »
Replaced my FARS a few weeks back with a complete spare unit I had on hand since original purchase 5 years back.
Bearing was dry & it had two trips in & out of the assembly.
Still has a nasty tick to it for a new motor....

Also had a RF-500TB-18280-R on hand that I fitted into the original fan housing for later changeover.
Looking on AliExpress, there's a lot of compatible motors with slight variations; in particular longer shafts, more like the 12mm original.
Ordered a few different ones to try as the one above as a rather short shaft.

Opened the original motor a while ago to check out as it seemed to run fine again after some fresh lube.

Brushes & Comm are pretty much stuffed. Can see in the pics that 5/6 of the brush fingers have worn right thru & broken off at their contact points.

Cheers.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 10:18:11 AM »
Team,

What did you use to clean and polish your solar panels? I probably should do likewise. Glad you didn’t need to replace the fan—but keep Scaled Instruments in mind for parts for your Davis pws should the need arise.

I have not, I need too though, Trying to figure out what to use but seems like people are saying is not that much of a problem.

----

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »
Team,

Speaking from experience, your fan will die again, and sooner than later. Also, my solar panel was completely hazed over when I deleted it (about ten years old), but it still was putting out  ~2.4 vdc, which is about full voltage when new IIRC. Even Davis says the haze does not affect the panel as much as one would think.

Yeah I am  about to pull the plug on my replacement parts just so I can have it as a backup. Thanks for the info!

----

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »
By the way, @WheatonRon, I have been buying from Scale Instruments since I got into the hobby. Ryan is an amazing person to work with. Thanks for the recommendation!

----

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 10:35:46 AM »
I have the ladder up still this morning, I am going to take the radiation shield apart and get the fan out for lube and cleaning.

----

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 06:16:51 PM »
I have the ladder up still this morning, I am going to take the radiation shield apart and get the fan out for lube and cleaning.

How old's the Fan?
Looking back mine shown above was about 5 years.
No Fars originally the changed to Dfars kit with my own 24 hour mod.

That fan above was run at 2.2V for it's lifespan.

While it seemed to run ok again after a clean & lube, internal inspection showed it was stuffed.

On the Panel Polishing; I did try some of that stuff from the Auto shop for headlamps, results were average.
Do think I have a spare complete sensor shelter somewhere, might dig around for that.

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 07:16:46 AM »
I’ve had very good luck with this...

https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-Dc-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

Two years and still going strong. You will have to shim the fan housing, I use double sided tape.
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »
I’ve had very good luck with this...

https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-Dc-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

Two years and still going strong. You will have to shim the fan housing, I use double sided tape.

Thanks for your recommendation.

----

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 03:54:58 PM »
Is there a way to see solar panel voltage from the console?

----

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 03:57:56 PM »
No.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »
No.
I like simple and short answers. LOL Thanks!

----

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 12:02:16 PM »
So I order two new Tynergy Batteries and a fan, I notice the fan goes out when no sun is around. Also the fan is starting to make loud noise and quitting on me :(

----

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 05:52:14 PM »
So I order two new Tynergy Batteries and a fan, I notice the fan goes out when no sun is around. Also the fan is starting to make loud noise and quitting on me :(
See the first sentence in reply #7.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 12:44:43 AM »

You, you sure did warn me :D

I got my new fan and batteries in, Started running like a champ right away. Woohoo!

----

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2022, 01:52:08 AM »
I realize that this is not a viable option for some, but this is exactly why I switched to a case fan seven years ago. Problem solved.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2022, 10:05:09 AM »
I realize that this is not a viable option for some, but this is exactly why I switched to a case fan seven years ago. Problem solved.

Can you elaborate on case fan?

----

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2022, 04:56:29 PM »
It's nothing more than an 80X80X20mm 12vdc computer case fan, something like this..

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41kXYJtuY9L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

You need to be able to run an extension off the mains from the house to power it. Typical lifespan is 60-70,000hrs, (24/7 for 7-8 years) and can easily handle 140F as well. If you're interested, I'll go further (no big deal), but it's super simple to do, and a great mod. I never have a bug problem either, too inhospitable.