Author Topic: Option to report actual rain rate to Wunderground  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Canam

Option to report actual rain rate to Wunderground
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:27:47 PM »
I noticed after switching Wunderground reporting from my GW1000 to Cumulus that "rain rate" is being reported differently. The GW1000 reports the actual rain rate, but Cumulus reports accumulated rain over the past 60 minutes as the "rate". After doing some googling, it seems like Wunderground's upload specifications call for reporting rain rate as Cumulus report it. But I much prefer the rain rate to match the value reported by the GW1000.

Would anybody else be interested in an added option in the Wunderground settings to control which version of the rain rate is uploaded?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Option to report actual rain rate to Wunderground
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
Would anybody else be interested in an added option in the Wunderground settings to control which version of the rain rate is uploaded?
Are you kidding? WU users are lucky to see what they have as is now.

Offline Canam

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 07:52:59 PM »

I'm not requesting any changes on WU's end if that's what you're saying. This would be 100% a Cumulus specific change.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »

I'm not requesting any changes on WU's end if that's what you're saying. This would be 100% a Cumulus specific change.
WU supplies their own parameters regardless of what you send. Rain rate, wind gust, pressure, ect... That way everyone is one big happy dysfunctional family!

Offline Canam

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
WU supplies their own parameters regardless of what you send. Rain rate, wind gust, pressure, ect... That way everyone is one big happy dysfunctional family!

If WU supplies there own rain rate, why is there a difference when uploading via the GW1000 vs CumulusMX?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 08:23:09 PM »

If WU supplies there own rain rate, why is there a difference when uploading via the GW1000 vs CumulusMX?
I can't even begin to answer your question as it's all so convoluted. All I know is that WU plays by their own rules...when it works at all. I quit sending them my data three years ago for a reason. ](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 10:05:35 PM »
I don't see why you need to worry about Cumulus MX uploading to WU if you have a GW1000. I say use the GW1000 for all that it has and then use Cumulus MX just to add the functionality that the GW1000 does not give you, like uploading to CWOP, Windy, viewing local graphs, having extensive data tables and records...etc.

For what it's worth the Meteobridge does offer the choice of both rain rate methods.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40266.0

Therefore if the Cumulus MX developer is in agreement the same option could makes its way in. I suppose you could ask them.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Canam

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:43:17 PM »
I don't see why you need to worry about Cumulus MX uploading to WU if you have a GW1000. I say use the GW1000 for all that it has and then use Cumulus MX just to add the functionality that the GW1000 does not give you, like uploading to CWOP, Windy, viewing local graphs, having extensive data tables and records...etc.

I like the way Cumulus reports wind to WU better than directly from the GW1000. Also, Cumulus has some additional sensor adjustment parameters that the GW1000 doesn't support. Also, just because I can use the GW1000 instead doesn't mean all Cumulus users can.

For what it's worth the Meteobridge does offer the choice of both rain rate methods.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40266.0

Thanks galfert, that's exactly the kind of option I'm interested in for CumulusMX.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 11:27:16 PM »
I like the way Cumulus reports wind to WU better than directly from the GW1000.

I'd like to hear you elaborate on this topic. Is it just the option in Cumulus MX to send average wind instead current speed?

Also, Cumulus has some additional sensor adjustment parameters that the GW1000 doesn't support.

Like to use bearing zero when calm? Anything else? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and I'm also would like this discussed for the learning benefit of others.

Also, just because I can use the GW1000 instead doesn't mean all Cumulus users can.
I agree. And unless I'm missing something that I don't know about, for me instant rain rate is most important. Maybe Mark would be willing to look at this request for instant rain rate as an added option to Cumulus MX.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Canam

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »

I'd like to hear you elaborate on this topic. Is it just the option in Cumulus MX to send average wind instead current speed?

Like to use bearing zero when calm? Anything else? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and I'm also would like this discussed for the learning benefit of others.

Yes, I like the average wind speed and direction that Cumulus uploads. Cumulus also has offset and multiplier calibration support, plus second order correction for humidity. (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35704.0) I think the GW1000 supports offsets only for calibration.