Author Topic: Convert in WeatherLink to VP2 Data Base Files??  (Read 620 times)

Offline hahniv

Convert in WeatherLink to VP2 Data Base Files??
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:30:24 PM »
I've had a VP2Pro for years but have just started added a WeatherLink Live (WLL) box to feed WeatherDisplay (WD) the software I've been using.  I like the network connection vs the serial connection along with the WLL app and Alexa integration.  I've got over a decade of data in WD so that isn't going away.  I came on board in February and would like to import January data into WeatherLink so I have all of 2021 for which I can import the data into WLL.  Also I'm thinking of running WeatherLink on the VP2 logger/serial port for data backup. 

WeatherLink has a convert database feature to be able to convert into the VP2 format.  I have yet to find a file extension that is selectable to be converted into the VP2 format.  Anyone have success in converting data into the VP2 format?  What database does it need?  I'm running the Mac version of the software. 

Thanks,

hahn
Davis VP2, WeatherLink Live, Mac OS 10.14.6

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Convert in WeatherLink to VP2 Data Base Files??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:07:37 AM »
I'm not 100% clear from your post exactly what you're seeking to achieve. But I think it's to upload old data from Weather Display running on a Mac into a station at weatherlink.com?

Assuming so: Weatherlink for Windows has no general 'Convert database' feature. I suspect what you're thinking of is the 'Import Database Files' option. This is specifically to import files from pre v5.1 versions of Weatherlink into later WL versions (the file format changed). This option can do nothing beyond importing the specific older-format WL files. It is not a generic database converter.

There is only one import mechanism into weatherlink.com and that accepts a single large block of text data as output from the Export Records option on the Browse menu of Weatherlink for Windows. See: https://www.weatherlink.com/static/docs/import_instructions.pdf . Getting the details right here (as described in the PDF) is critical to successful import. You've got to find a way of converting the WD data into the wl.com text import format. I doubt that there's any existing tool available to do this BICBW. Probably more a question for the WD forum? TBH I'm not sure this is worth the effort - if anything is wrong with the import at the first time of asking then it can be quite tricky to disentangle.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:07:26 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline hahniv

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
OK, that makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is that a once in a lifetime conversion would take a spot in the menu.  Seems like that would be a utility program separate from the main program.  I'm sure the windows version is much more robust than the Mac version.  Mac version is pretty lame, not worth running.  Can anyone suggest a good Mac program that runs off of the VP2 besides WeatherDisplay that I could use as a backup.  I've got serial port with nothing to do at the moment.  :-) 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »

[quote}Can anyone suggest a good Mac program that runs off of the VP2

CumulusMX  https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Software

Enoy,
Paul

Offline hahniv

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
Thank You