Author Topic: Questions and thoughts about Blitzortung.org and LightningMap.org  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
1.Being as the default page on Blitzortung.org page is the "Effectivity L" page, is this the measurable that we should me most concerned with? What is the measurable that we should be trying maximize?
2. While the signals are close to the same amount (green line) the strokes on LightningMap appear to be counting only the "L" strokes and not the "M" or "S" stokes.
3. At this moment, the top ranked station contributed 1,271 strokes while if you add the 3rd ranked station, he contributed 1,262 + 109 = 1,371 total strokes. That's 100 more than the top site, but there is not a way to sort by the total contributed signals. 
4. Are the slight differences in the signal counts due to lag with the 2 computers talking with each other? (red line & blue line) What confuses me is that Lightning Maps was updated 2.1 minutes ago and yet is showing 51 more signals than Blitzortung.

Offline Knickohr

• Der Sternhimmel ueber Ulm
Re: Questions and thoughts about Blitzortung.org and LightningMap.org
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:24:36 AM »
Hi !

Sorry, whats the meaning of S, M and L on this page ?  I wondered some times, but I don't find an explanation.

Thomas

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »
As I understand it, Effectivity L shows the strokes within 5000 km, just like it says at the top of the page.  If you click the blue up arrow next to Effectivity M you'll sort by that and see a new definition at the top of 500 km.  Same for Effectivity S which are the strikes within 50km of your station.  The E and M values are a subset of the total strokes seen by your station in the L column.

I've noticed that apparently strokes outside 5000km are disregarded by the system because I've seen Stan's system in Hawaii showing activity on the realtime map but he doesn't get credit because they are well beyond 5000 km.

I don't have an answer for #4.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Knickohr

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:54:04 AM »
Ahhh great !

That is, what I observed the last days on the online-maps. My station is much sensitive to the far away strokes. I can observe Putin much better than Merkel  :lol:

Thomas
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:56:28 AM by Knickohr »

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:00:36 AM »
I figured out #4 - If you can catch LightningMaps right after it updates, the "Effectivity L" and the Strokes are the same.

However is seems that LightningMaps is only counting the "Effectivity L" strokes. There is a station now with 3,031 "Effectivity L" strokes and 2,689" Effectivity M" strokes on the Blitzortung site. It is showing only 3,085 strokes on the LightningMaps page that was updated 1 minute earlier. The 1 minute time difference makes up for the 54 stroke count difference. But the 2,689" Effectivity M" strokes are not counted on LightningMaps.

Offline Knickohr

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »
Maybe "Effectivity L" includes all the other strokes ?   :?

Thomas

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
Mostly because there are different update times for the various pages... I think the participant's page may update as often, now, as one minute... don't know for sure. It's changed a couple of times. Tobi's 'real time' follows within a few seconds of server processing.

anything