Author Topic: temperature Humidity station Vs. Temperature Station  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
temperature Humidity station Vs. Temperature Station
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:55:46 PM »
I have been driving myself bonkers over this and finally had the time to contact Davis Tech Support and get the right answer.

The transmitter board for the 6372  and the board for the 6382  are different, not the same as a lot of folks claim.  I have an extra temp/humidity sensor that I have been trying to get the 6372  to read.  it only reads the temperature side of the probe, not the whole thing.

So I asked several boards and of course they are the same, lookie at them, but they are not. In the circuit part, the 6372 doesn't have the humidity sensor reader .

So there ...  Never hurts to go to the source and find out.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: temperature Humidity station Vs. Temperature Station
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »
I do use a 6372 as a 6382(for about 3 years) with absolutley NO problems, I had also confirmed this with a Davis tech support person.... :???:
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
so you got both the temperature and the humidity to work with the 6372?   I have 2 6372 and neither will work, but if I take my 6382  off line, it works fine with the temp/humid probe.

The odds that both 6372  would not work with that sensor seems too odd.     However, the tech at Davis this afternoon claims the two transmitters are different.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Right now, I have the ISS, a straight-out 6382, the converted 6372 to 6382 and a 6332(running as a Temp. station), all together, all happy, all smiling on WL and VWS. Unless Davis has changed something in the last few years, I dont know what else to say.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
Wow, I thought that all of the SIMs were the same and it was just the bundled sensors that gave it the number like 6372, 6382, etc.
Application Note #32 makes it seem that you can mix/match functions.
Maybe they are under cost pressure and decided to accept some product complexity (6372 being different from 6382) for cost savings.
My Envoy 8x documentation showed a temperature probe input, but they thrifted it out on my unit.

Hmm. :-k

I am planning on adding a Universal Anemometer interface 6336 to my Temp/Hum 6382 station. AN-32 explicitly states that I can do this.* I hope that I don't run into any problems like this.

I already replaced the plain door and upgraded it to a solar door.

*sort of, they state that you  can add the Davis anemometer/vane, but the 6336 just converts the R M Young signals to Davis format.

Greg
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:01:54 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
I have the option down the road to buy from Archer at a lower cost a new ISS board and could either just use that inside with a battery  or  try my luck of moving the board into the other case.  The board for the ISS is on a different case type, when you replace the transmitter on the station, it pulls out and then this one fits back in the place.

I will have to check the finances vs. the need to have it.on the UAI   I would ask Davis'

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
@aardvark: This has been explained previously, but let me repeat: VP2 ISS; 6332; 6372; 6382 transmitters ALL use the same board. The Davis parts list says:

7346.049 PCBA for Anemometer/Sensor Transmitter Kit OR Temperature Station OR Temperature/Humidity Station (US)

(The ISS PCBA is technically a different part number because it comes on the SIM backplate). The 6345 PCBA is the only VP2 transmitter board that's different.

When you tried the 6372, are you sure that you switched the transmitter type on the console to Temp/Hum and didn't just leave it on Temp?

NB Davis frontline support are, I'm afraid, not always 100% clued up - they seem to have a significant turnover of staff and the newer ones have been known to shoot from the hip when it comes to explanations.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:23 PM »
@aardvark: This has been explained previously, but let me repeat: VP2 ISS; 6332; 6372; 6382 transmitters ALL use the same board. The Davis parts list says:

7346.049 PCBA for Anemometer/Sensor Transmitter Kit OR Temperature Station OR Temperature/Humidity Station (US)

(The ISS PCBA is technically a different part number because it comes on the SIM backplate). The 6345 PCBA is the only VP2 transmitter board that's different.

When you tried the 6372, are you sure that you switched the transmitter type on the console to Temp/Hum and didn't just leave it on Temp?

NB Davis frontline support are, I'm afraid, not always 100% clued up - they seem to have a significant turnover of staff and the newer ones have been known to shoot from the hip when it comes to explanations.
I have done everything you recommended for the past 2 months.  It doesn't work.
My first thought was that the temperature/humidity sensor was poached.  So I have two of the 6382 units in the house, disconnected one and took it to this sensor, left it on and I got both the temp/humid readings.  Then I hooked it back up to the 6372 sensor and same thing.  Next was to be sure the dip switches were set right as well as the transceiver and they checked out.

So I went out to the yard, swapped out the two 6372's  and started over, reset the dip switches to match what they were supposed to be and same thing, only the temperature side, in fact...  if I have it set for the temp/humid sensor  I get nothing,  but if I set only the temperature, then I get temperature.

That indicated the sensor was fine, but...  So I know it will cost me $72.00 plus loss of use to send the transceiver in to be repaired, so I called rather than waste money.  I called and was told that they are different units.  Perhaps you are blessed.

I could opt for the Davis 7345.976 - Wireless ISS SIM Board for PRO2  from Archer for 114 and be done with it.  I know that works with just about everything.  Run it on batteries or if I get adventureous  put a Davis charger on it and go electrical.

For What I should do to put this to rest is copy down the board part number off the board itself.  Maybe I'll do that in a bit. Grimm and Bluebloods are on tonight

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »
My Envoy 8x documentation showed a temperature probe input, but they thrifted it out on my unit.

Greg

Hm-m-m-m, the Envoy 8X that I have *has* a functioning temperature probe input (RJ connector) and it's used to measure inside air temperature adjacent the Envoy 8X location (because the "inside" temperature sensor was constantly reading about 2-3ºF above what was expected). Using the #06477 RJ-connector Temp Probe, I get the exact air temp without any heat buildup from inside the Envoy 8X case as was happening before..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:09:53 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
I have been driving myself bonkers over this and finally had the time to contact Davis Tech Support and get the right answer.

The transmitter board for the 6372  and the board for the 6382  are different, not the same as a lot of folks claim.  I have an extra temp/humidity sensor that I have been trying to get the 6372  to read.  it only reads the temperature side of the probe, not the whole thing.

So I asked several boards and of course they are the same, lookie at them, but they are not. In the circuit part, the 6372 doesn't have the humidity sensor reader .

So there ...  Never hurts to go to the source and find out.

With you being newly retired all this weather equipment seems to be creating a lot of stress. I think you should just box it all up and ship it to me.  :-D Just trying to help a fellow out you know. In return I'll send you some binoculars and you can start bird watching which would be much less stressful.

Doug

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
The shipper here is a lady by the name of Helen  Waite.  Should you desire my equipment go to Helen Waite.   :twisted:

this should give you something to do in the mean time  http://en.sommer-sommer.com/braintest/?data=MjgsNzI%3D

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:44:05 AM »
That indicated the sensor was fine, but...  So I know it will cost me $72.00 plus loss of use to send the transceiver in to be repaired, so I called rather than waste money.  I called and was told that they are different units.  Perhaps you are blessed.

We have asked before, but there was no reply: How old are these transmitter units? The only thing that even starts to make sense here is if one or more parts that you're looking at date from 2004/5 (ie the Mfg Code starts A4 or A5). This would go back to the time that the T/H sensors were analogue rather than the digital parts used for the past 8 years or so. If you're trying to use a newer sensor with an old transmitter, or some permutation thereof, then you can get odd (in)compatibility issues.

And, sorry to be a source of disillusionment, but while of course you'd expect Davis themselves to be the go-to place for impeccable information - and indeed in general this is true - it really isn't unknown for a relatively new member of frontline support not to know the answer to a more obscure question and to offer a guess rather than knowledge-based reply as the answer.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 04:16:57 AM »
I have to agree with johnd.....Davis tech support IS NOT what it used to be, when you get put on 'hold' while they have to go ask someone else for an answer....and then hope you get an answer correctly. ](*,) ](*,)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »

Greg

Hm-m-m-m, the Envoy 8X that I have *has* a functioning temperature probe input (RJ connector) and it's used to measure inside air temperature adjacent the Envoy 8X location (because the "inside" temperature sensor was constantly reading about 2-3ºF above what was expected). Using the #06477 RJ-connector Temp Probe, I get the exact air temp without any heat buildup from inside the Envoy 8X case as was happening before..

Mine had a depopulated RJ jack and a blank plate in the housing.

See: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=17453.msg169008#msg169008

Greg

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
Mine had a depopulated RJ jack and a blank plate in the housing.

The current version should have the external temp socket (on both wireless Envoy and 8X, but not the cabled Envoy since that space is taken by the cable connector)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 11:40:52 AM »
That indicated the sensor was fine, but...  So I know it will cost me $72.00 plus loss of use to send the transceiver in to be repaired, so I called rather than waste money.  I called and was told that they are different units.  Perhaps you are blessed.

We have asked before, but there was no reply: How old are these transmitter units? The only thing that even starts to make sense here is if one or more parts that you're looking at date from 2004/5 (ie the Mfg Code starts A4 or A5). This would go back to the time that the T/H sensors were analogue rather than the digital parts used for the past 8 years or so. If you're trying to use a newer sensor with an old transmitter, or some permutation thereof, then you can get odd (in)compatibility issues.

And, sorry to be a source of disillusionment, but while of course you'd expect Davis themselves to be the go-to place for impeccable information - and indeed in general this is true - it really isn't unknown for a relatively new member of frontline support not to know the answer to a more obscure question and to offer a guess rather than knowledge-based reply as the answer.
the stations were purchased in 2009.   The model board numbers on the 63  unit is 7315.155D  Rev D000.    The 83 unit has same model but rev is D002
which doesn't say much.   

I probably will purchase a replacement from Archer and go that route later on in the year.  well, there isn't much time in the year, but eventually.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
the stations were purchased in 2009.   The model board numbers on the 63  unit is 7315.155D  Rev D000.    The 83 unit has same model but rev is D002 which doesn't say much.   

Afraid that the board codes aren't very useful (typically they're the part and rev number of the PCBA layout rather than anything indicative of manufacturing date. It's the Mfg Codes that are needed (usually on the label visible on the SIM cover inside the shelter door) although the SIM board firmware revision (usually handwritten on a small white circular label stuck on one of the chips - you need to take off the inner cover to see this).

But the other part of the equation is the T/H sensor itself. How old is this? Does it have a label on its back? It doesn't have a thin vertical whitish component on it, does it?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »
The Mfg Codes...? (Easy to read from the relevant labels and without them it's almost impossible to make sense of your observations.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
I called Davis back again and had them do some serious asking around and you are right.  I sent in the unit and they got it today (I tracked it) so perhaps in a week or so I might have an answer.  It is unusual for having 2 of the temperature stations not have both the temperature and the humidity  working.  I am wondering if they had a flawed batch and these were part of them.

When I first got my VP1 plus,  at night I used to get readings at night on the UV sensor.  it was strange as there were no UV sources at night.  So we corresponded and they had no clue,  and I wasn't alone.  In fact Davis did a software correction that got rid of the reading, then a guy in Germany figured out that the housing had a pin hole .  At night when the plastic cooled down, it would draw in just enough moisture that it would short the leads out and then on sunrise the water would evaporate out the hole.   Soon after that Davis modified their UV and Solar sensors  because of that error.

I am just wondering if they had a bad batch. The board claims it is made in the US, so we punt.

the $72 was a lot cheaper than ordering a 150$ board.  I'll let you know.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
Wow, I thought that all of the SIMs were the same and it was just the bundled sensors that gave it the number like 6372, 6382, etc.
Application Note #32 makes it seem that you can mix/match functions.
Maybe they are under cost pressure and decided to accept some product complexity (6372 being different from 6382) for cost savings.

Hmm. :-k

I am planning on adding a Universal Anemometer interface 6336 to my Temp/Hum 6382 station. AN-32 explicitly states that I can do this.* I hope that I don't run into any problems like this.

I already replaced the plain door and upgraded it to a solar door.

*sort of, they state that you  can add the Davis anemometer/vane, but the 6336 just converts the R M Young signals to Davis format.

Greg

I can report that I successfully connected the 6336 (w/ RM Young Wind Monitor Jr.) to my Temp/Hum 6382 today. It is working fine. I changed the "Temp/Hum" to ISS3 in the Envoy 8x.

This is kind of a lash-up just to test the Young/6336 for a while. I plan on making the Young the main wind measurement and relegate the Davis set to a 2nd station. (maybe the Temp/Hum).

Greg