Author Topic: Davis VP2 (cabled), multiple buildings and private network  (Read 1372 times)

Offline DRich

Starting my search for a dependable solution to data log/display console info on a private network between 2 buildings. Have no interest in internet uploading or internet access on this private network but would like to be able to see console display on different windows laptops/pcs on this network. Not at the same time though. Viewed a couple of videos where people used a usb to eth hub with the VP2 usb logger as one remote solution.
Had thought of just pointing /framing up one of my security cams on the console display so I can view changing conditions but seems a lazy way out. There... enough said, "lazy" ...I don't really want to have to do much coding or web page production.

Any ideas/info would be appreciated ... before I invest any $$ or time into this.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Davis VP2 (cabled), multiple buildings and private network
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 06:07:02 PM »
I have a MeteoPi running CumulusMX.

The page is published but you don't need to.

http://www.morewoodweather.ca/CumulusMX/gauges.htm

I can also view all the gauges, data etc. of the Cumulus program from anywhere in my home network. Just browse to the local IP address.

It has been running without fail for over a year now. Always reconnects after power outages. I dont have to do a.thing.

Offline DRich

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 07:09:23 AM »
Hey, this sounds pretty good. More sensible solution than going with an expensive Davis usb solution with all the flakiness of usb at times.  I have an unused pi 3b and believe I saw a pi image of cumulus somewhere on the net. Did you use a prepared image or did you install cumulus once the pi was running on some OS?

doug

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 12:08:19 PM »
I forget what method I used to get it installed.

The Wiki should get you straight:

https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Raspberry_Pi_Image

Very slim setup with RPI Zero and the HAT. One 5 volt power supply into the Pi powers everything, including the console.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 12:11:23 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline DRich

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 10:03:59 AM »
Does Cumulus come with pre-designed pages or do you have to create one? I see some samples online that people are
using.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 10:47:45 AM »
Hi,
Yes, Cumulus has standard default website template i.e. www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm

And also some user contributions that can be added i.e. www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.html  and www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.php
And Ken's templates i.e. www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca/index.php

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DRich

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 08:27:09 AM »
Thanks for all this info. Any experience/ideas on the meteo "ethernet" logger? In particular, views about why
I would not want to go that route other than the higher cost of the logger itself. I am still leaning towards the
pi version, since I have an unused pi 3b kicking about. The much lower power consumption of the pi running 24/7 is atractive as iis
being able to run other things on it. Unsure of the future for Pi's as have not being able to find stock anywhere in quite some time which will make them more expensive eventually if stock returns.

thanks..doug

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 11:37:48 AM »
Apparently, the number of Pi units (across all SKUs I guess) shipped or expected this year is:

Q1 = 1 million
Q2 = 2 million expected
Q3 = 3 million+ expected

So retail shortages should start to ease as the year wears on. but it's probably going to be uneven across different SKUs.

[My summary of the first 15 minutes or so of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HrbU2G6fU4 - video as of about 2 weeks ago.]

Using a Meteopi Ethernet (MPE) - I think that is the unit you're referring to - doesn't stop you running CumulusMX on a Pi. It's just that the interface is via the network rather than direct on a HAT (µHAT actually).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:42:52 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 01:28:27 PM »
You can order up to 10 pi ZeroW in one go at Pimoroni in the UK
Mark

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 01:39:24 PM »
You can order up to 10 pi ZeroW in one go at Pimoroni in the UK

But not Zero 2W currently AFAIK. Wouldn't you feel more comfortable running CMX on a Zero 2, Mark? (Even if people can and do run it on a plain Zero, but perhaps not much spare horsepower???)

Edit: Actually, I realise that I don't know whether or not CMX can take advantage of the extra cores on Zero 2 or is it just single-threaded? If not then perhaps the difference in performance is more limited?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:48:08 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 05:55:05 PM »
...a plain Zero, but perhaps not much spare horsepower???)

My ZeroW seems tapped out running CMX with data pushed to my website

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 07:12:17 AM »
I was more pointing out that supplies seem to be coming available again.

Though you can run Culumus MX on a zero, it will not have much capticity leftover and some operations may take a long time (primarily those that involve scanning all the historic data of you have a significant amount).

MX will make use of those extra cores ;)
Mark

Offline DRich

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 01:51:18 PM »
Thanks all, for the help. After a few tense moments I have my Davis Vp2 connected via Meteo Pi to a Raspberry Pi 3b+ running
the pre-built Raspberry pi image with Cumulus Mx pre installed. I think some better documentation for the Meteo Pi might go a long way in diagnosing communication issues....ie. what the command and data lights tell us and clearer steps one must do to get the pi to recieve data. Can access Cumulus from Android tablets, Android phone and windows pcs on a private network and pages display quickly and smoothly.
Now, just have a few hiccups to sort out...like getting the time synced between station and p and cumulusi. And what about those crazy sunrise and sunset times? Tried to change the RTC time and for some reason just get error messages.(yes I did check the rtc battery voltage before I plugged the Meteo pi board onto the pi)
My ultimate goal is a larger wall mounted monitor run by a pi zero 2w,  displaying cumulus pages and security cameras.

Doug