Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57505 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #1025 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:11 PM »
Numbers here are going up fast. Wisconsin is worse.

Schools have low numbers but a few have had outbreaks. Heard of one in ND that had 700.

My new school has 1. Hopefully no more-we pray. We can do that at a Catholic school.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1026 on: October 23, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »
You can beat it! My 91 year old Uncle, a lifetime smoker, wasn't feeling good a week or so ago and went to the hospital and they said pneumonia. Did some testing and said covid, they gave him one, maybe two weeks, he was on oxygen. Yesterday he went home from the hospital, our family got a twofer, an October surprise and an early Christmas present. So, he joins the 99% that at his age beat it! And, as far as wearing my stupid mask until 2022 as suggested by last night's debate moderator - ain't gonna happen, not here and not ever!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1027 on: October 23, 2020, 02:53:31 PM »
deaths and rates of serious/critical numbers and postive numbers are going up and up in the USA
as predicted, the Fall surge is happening
its up to everyone to try and do their bit to flaten the curve and save lives

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #1028 on: October 23, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »
You can beat it! My 91 year old Uncle... So, he joins the 99% that at his age beat it!

I honestly don't know how you have the nerve to post such nonsense. The COVID CFR (Case Fatality Rate) for someone at 90+ is usually quoted at somewhere between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3. So Fortune obviously smiled on him for having missed the bullet and I certainly wish him well, but it didn't miss by much.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #1029 on: October 25, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
You can beat it! My 91 year old Uncle, a lifetime smoker, wasn't feeling good a week or so ago and went to the hospital and they said pneumonia. Did some testing and said covid, they gave him one, maybe two weeks, he was on oxygen. Yesterday he went home from the hospital, our family got a twofer, an October surprise and an early Christmas present. So, he joins the 99% that at his age beat it! And, as far as wearing my stupid mask until 2022 as suggested by last night's debate moderator - ain't gonna happen, not here and not ever!
In a rational world, people would actually be happy that your uncle lived and did so well, and take heart that not all news is bad and dire, and that there is hope, and that maybe even some of the stats may be exaggerated or the virus is attenuating.  But not on this forum, encouraging personal experiences, such as good news about your uncle, is unacceptable.

I honestly don't know how you have the nerve to post such nonsense.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:11:39 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #1030 on: October 25, 2020, 05:16:45 PM »
As usual creative editing by SH to make a provocative comment that has nothing to do with the original post.

The response specifically cited and decried the 99% figure. Also included " ...  and I certainly wish him well"
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #1031 on: October 25, 2020, 05:41:17 PM »
As usual creative editing by SH to make a provocative comment that has nothing to do with the original post.

The response specifically cited and decried the 99% figure. Also included " ...  and I certainly wish him well"
You're correct, I did misread that and misunderstood johnd.  I apologize.  It just seems that people might show more appreciation that an elderly man did so well rather than to respond to good news first with an attack that makes the well-wishing seem to be more of an afterthought and insincere. As for the 99% figure, does anyone really have valid and verified statistics?  I know of elderly people with "comorbidity" factors that have tested positive and done fine.

It's not like stevebrtx was encouraging elderly people to go out and get covid.  He may have been relating his experience that the majority of people survive with a little hyperbole. If the CFR is between 30 or so to 50 or so percent as johnd quotes, even that is a lot better than many people seem to want you to believe, and those figures aren't set in stone and most likely constantly changing.

Anyway, I am about done with this forum.  I have avoided responding for some time now as I have been seen the kind of people who respond on this thread.

@ SnowHiker:  You are a superb polemicist and I'm just an all-around skeptic who doesn't basically disagree with you.  BUT I would caution you that when you get under the skin of the one person who has done more by far for our weather-enthusiast community, you are treading where most dare not go.  After all, he for all intents and purposes OWNS this forum.  While that doesn't mean his opinion means more than any other, he can control the narrative if he so wishes.  His post was an attempt to tone down the vituperative nature of our current discussion.  Please just be aware that nobody's patience is unlimited.
Sorry gwwilk, while you are one of the most reasonable people here, I am not a respecter of persons.  I don't care how much someone has done for the community, no one has the right to mischaracterize people and accuse them of saying things that they didn't say, as is very common on this forum.  I responded to Ken's accusations and misrepresentations and, and of course have not received any kind of a correction from him.  Not that I expect to.  I don't entirely blame Ken; it's pretty obvious he had no clue what was going on, and probably just responding to the poor sensitive souls who kept hitting the "report" button because someone just didn't fall in line with the party dogma on this forum.  So now Galfert, or whatever his name is, can come along and edit my post with no notice, or ban me, or whatever pleases him.  It's not like I'm incapable of understanding or enjoying weather monitoring without their help or being a member of this forum, though I have enjoyed some of the info on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:54:19 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1032 on: October 25, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »

You're correct, I did misread that and misunderstood johnd.  I apologize.  It just seems that people might show some appreciation that an elderly man did so well rather than just continually attacking. As for the 99% figure, does anyone really have valid and verified statistics?  I know of elderly people with "comorbidity" factors that have tested positive and done fine.

Anyway, I am about done with this forum.  I have avoided responding for some time now as I have been seen the kind of people who respond on this thread.

@ SnowHiker:  You are a superb polemicist and I'm just an all-around skeptic who doesn't basically disagree with you.  BUT I would caution you that when you get under the skin of the one person who has done more by far for our weather-enthusiast community, you are treading where most dare not go.  After all, he for all intents and purposes OWNS this forum.  While that doesn't mean his opinion means more than any other, he can control the narrative if he so wishes.  His post was an attempt to tone down the vituperative nature of our current discussion.  Please just be aware that nobody's patience is unlimited.
no one has the right to mischaracterize people and accuse them of saying things that they didn't say, as is very common on this forum.
Make no mistake, an absolute reflection of today's society.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #1033 on: October 25, 2020, 08:56:26 PM »
Some people in Iowa are wearing their masks wrong.  they leave their noses sticking out of the mask.  I am assuming that they haven't figured out that the virus goes in through the mouth and nose.  Oh well.

Iowa is leading in covid cases and deaths, and the people here don't seem to give a rats rear. I know of two people who still talk to me, believe they have immunity and I asked them to go get the antigen test and they get really uptight about that request. Yet they go everwhere, eat everwhere, drink everywhere. 

I get irritated because I miss going to the grocery store for a few items.  To pickup I have to order 30$ and maybe it is only a loaf of bread I need, yet these clowns keep the stats up.   Kovid Kim,the gov of Iowa has no clue and is blocking all mask mandates although Johnson and Story counties have told her to go fly away and are doing it . Of course the two state universities of any size are there.

So I am attaching a posting from FB from 1 of the 2 people mentioned above.   

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #1034 on: October 25, 2020, 09:29:43 PM »
Amazingly, we are still in school.  We have had a few cases, but the state says we can continue.

Kids are doing a great job keeping their masks on. So so at distancing. There are times they become white blood cells in the hallway.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1035 on: October 26, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »
Seems like a politician, I misspoke, Uncle Gene, at age 91, isn't a 99 percenter, per the CDC he's ONLY A 95 PERCENTER! I'll be sure to inform him of his demotion and I'm sure his two older brothers will razz him about it? As to the naysayers who can't find joy in a good man given more time with us here, they're small and few in numbers and easily ignored.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #1037 on: October 27, 2020, 03:26:31 AM »
Since the COVID unit in my local hospital has been at or near full capacity for days, I dare not go to stores any more than I need to or go to restaurants during a busy hour:

Metro woman battling COVID-19 transferred to Enid after no room in OKC hospitals:
https://kfor.com/news/metro-woman-battling-covid-19-transferred-to-enid-after-no-room-in-okc-hospitals/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR1p-t5jqWX3Pw1t3WrV4HGJY8c99mnLFkwwIklPKZFWDIyK_KTjtqtQQR8

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1038 on: October 27, 2020, 05:02:21 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-hospitalizations-iowa-record-high

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hospitals-reporting-increases-covid19-hospitalizations-patients-2020-10-27/

come on America, don't give up
you can do this
you still can fight it
you just need to all work together
otherwise 10 of thousands more will loose their lives to it (models show over another 100,000 deaths more by Feb next year, and the models have been accurate so far at projected deaths for the USA)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:01:22 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #1039 on: October 29, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
good to see the 90 year old man recover its a positive piece of news however here in istanbul the situation is or has become dire within the last two weeks , the official health minister here statement made today ..ill translate it ..

"TESTİ POZİTİF ÇIKAN HER 10 KİŞİDEN 4’Ü İSTANBUL’DADIR. Son 7 gündeki artış, geçen ayın ortalamasından %85 fazladır. Nüfus düşünüldüğünde, bu oran korkutucudur. "

"4 out of every 10 people who are tested are positive in istanbul
The increase in the last 7 days is 85% higher than last month's average.
 Considering the population, this ratio is scary. "

the recovery rate here in Turkey is quite high and much improved based on now the medical institutes/hospitals are better prepared and understand how to treat the patient, however spiraling upward cases is threatening how those institutes cope with increased number of patients .

population of Istanbul 17 million alone densely living  in a 200km radius !!!  . try social distancing in that !! masks are compulsory/law but it is not enough simply the population is to dense in a small area , curfews won't happen anymore the economy can not sustain it and neither can most households financially .. we simply adapt to the new life and rules , advice and try to carry on knowing full well of the risks , we cant just sit at home we are humans and we are social animals !!! people need to earn their living for their needs not all employment is capable of "work from home" try mentioning "work from home" that to a family run business in the food industry , try telling that someone automobile industry , try telling that to the hotel owners and so on.. ... the threat is real but so is getting knocked down by a vehicle , life is one big risk whether we like it or not..

state run app showing local density map of where I live zoomed in on 2km radius ...red area is obvious !!!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 01:35:42 PM by weather34 »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #1040 on: October 29, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
... and you have the benefit of ocean breezes !

You (and everyone) take care where you can.
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #1041 on: November 16, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »
As of Monday morning, 11/16/20, Stillwater Medical Center was once again full of COVID patients.  This graph  includes Emergency Room Hold beds. These numbers represent patients requiring COVID-19 inpatient care; however, no inpatient beds are available in house and other hospitals are not accepting transfers at this time.  This can serve as a reminder to continue to take precautions against covid, in case your local hospital is under similar pressing conditions.

Fortunately, Stillwater City Council passes first reading of ordinance to extend mask mandate.  Stillwater Medical Center President and CEO were among those speaking in support of it:  https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/council-passes-first-reading-of-ordinance-to-extend-mask-mandate/article_ef3e039f-fe14-5e9d-ae9e-6529449389ee.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:08:32 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #1042 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:37 AM »
In Oklahoma, 3,017 (!!) new COVID-19 cases today, 11/18/20; 7-day rolling average a new record at 2,727.

26 more reported deaths, a single-day record.

Hospitalizations are 1,435 (+53) a new record.

ICU is 447 (+57!) a new record. Only 6% of ICU beds in the entire state of Oklahoma are still available.

Lots of rural Oklahoma people still not taking covid seriously enough as reflected by rural towns still refusing to pass required mask mandates. Even some suburban towns refuse to do so. So Oklahoma metro hospitals in Oklahoma City and Tulsa are taking in lots of rural and suburban patients.  Some are full.  It's believed weekend Halloween festivities helps explain much of  the upsurge.  Who knows how much worse the situation is going to get with Thanksgiving next?

Fortunately, Stillwater Medical Center had no sick covid patient waiting in the emergency room as of Wednesday for a bed in the covid unit, but that could easily change with the covid unit still being full! So be careful out there folks. Observe social distancing and wear a mask. Once again, you sure don't want to end up in a bed at the emergency room being told you'll have to wait for a bed in the covid unit to become available.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:11:36 AM by Bunty »

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #1043 on: November 19, 2020, 01:51:15 PM »
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

Masks didn’t seem to perform very well for the wearer in this large scale, randomized and controlled study.

Opinions on the study:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/89778

https://healthy-skeptic.com/2020/11/18/flash-on-the-danish-mask-study/

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: November 19, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
Masks didn’t seem to perform very well for the wearer in this large scale, randomized and controlled study.

I can only speak for myself but even going back to last March and April I've never thought that wearing a mask protects me. I do believe that wearing a mask does protect others from me if I happen to be sick. I wear my mask to help protect others and I appreciate it when others reciprocate. 

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #1045 on: November 20, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
Key messages

We are uncertain whether wearing masks or N95/P2 respirators helps to slow the spread of respiratory viruses.

Hand hygiene programmes may help to slow the spread of respiratory viruses.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub5/full

The thread title “...wash your hands” is good advice.  Not sure I’d rely on a mask for much more than virtue signaling.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #1046 on: November 21, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
A recent study in Oklahoma comparing masked vs unmasked cities found that masks are helpful: 

https://www.mcalesternews.com/oklahoma/governor-won-t-mandate-masks-despite-study-showing-slowed-spread/article_adbd596e-1da5-5b7e-8d05-d14e37b00808.html

People need to take precautions more than ever and not trust their luck.  Even a fireman can get covid so bad that he has been needing ICU care for days:

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/residents-rallying-around-firefighters-battle-with-covid-19/article_9ce2f923-dd30-5313-bfe1-f0f346df7819.html

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #1047 on: November 22, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/researchers-withdraw-study-showing-efficacy-of-mask-mandates-after-increased-virus-cases-in-areas-observed

"We consider it is unwise to infer causation based on regional geographical observations as several proponents of masks have done," Heneghan wrote in July. "Spikes in cases can easily refute correlations, compliance with masks and other measures is often variable, and confounders cannot be accounted for in such observational research."

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #1048 on: November 23, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
Here is a comparison of COVID cases in New Mexico and Utah for the duration of the pandemic.

Two states very close together, one a little further north and west and with a larger metropolitan area, with very different masking policy implementations, but basically identical case curves. And look at those curves. When conditions are right for CV-19, it just explodes.

I feel this is a perfect example of the lack of benefit of mask policy.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #1049 on: November 23, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
Here is a scientific Danish mask study.  It doesn't answer all mask questions, but it's conclusions are very interesting.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com